Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are we losing a little grip on reality as BHA supporters?

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
For me, football will now never be better than the night we beat Bolton 2-0 to secure promotion to the PL... That was it, the pinnacle of supporting AFCB... Nothing (in reality) can eclipse that night. Even if we got relegated and prompted again, it still won't quite be the same...

The wanting to be, and the getting to the PL, is SO much better than the actual being in the PL...

I think this sums it up best for me. The raw desire I have to see us promoted to the 20 elite is something I can't even comprehend, that moment when/if we finally do it I'll never forget it for the rest of my life. But then life will go on. It's like a really long computer game or a fantastic set of books, that first journey and the passion it pulls out of you in magic. But when you go for a reread or replay it's never quite the same. This will be just like that. As someone born in 1990, I never experienced a PL Brighton, and having grown up throughout the worst times and knowing the best times are so near, sometimes I will get over zealous and come across as whiney and entitled.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Personally, I'd argue nothing has changed in terms of the support, it's just that we're exposed to more peoples' opinions in the form of social media and the Internet.

There's always been idiots that go, there's always been idiots with ridiculous opinions, just as there's always been people that go to criticise, or just to get drunk. But the majority of our support are good, football loving people I'd say. Unfortunately, the minority of idiots now have a platform to perform on.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I learned from the Mullery years that it's the journey up that I look back on more fondly than the arrival. Personally I have no wish to treat being an Albion fan as executing a business plan. I do that at work and am happy to leave it to Bloom and Barber. The only true reality is the game that you are actually watching at any given time and I want us to do as well in it as possible. 3 up and coasting I don't want to see key players rested, I want 7 ; FA cup 3rd round I want the strongest team out. Not always a strategic or logical approach (and there are limits with smaller tournaments) but following the Albion is not about being rational it is about turning up in the hope that you will see something that afternoon or evening that will make your heart leap and that you will still be talking about for years to come...like the 7 against Walsall.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
You obviously don't use the the Coastway East matchday service then. :p
Sometimes it is true though. I know someone that got lucky on an overnight sleeper train on the way to Scotland to attend a conference on local government procurement contracting.

Loftslaces

Apr 6, 2016
Graffham
I had no grip on reality to begin with - reality is no fun

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I do wonder whether it would be like divorcing that bird off dictionary corner in countdown (who's absolute intellectual class clunge) for a disastrously disheartening fling with Cheryl Cole. I mean....Cole looks tremendous. But the reality of actually arriving there would perhaps be a Stella disappointment after initial explosion of joy.

If you know what I mean

Christ ...I'd hardly have gone travelling across the globe to find Cheryl Cole, when Rachel Riley was only a few feet away! :eek:
And at no time, ever would it have become a stella disappointment.....other than to her! :lolol:

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I do wonder whether it would be like divorcing that bird off dictionary corner in countdown (who's absolute intellectual class clunge) for a disastrously disheartening fling with Cheryl Cole. I mean....Cole looks tremendous. But the reality of actually arriving there would perhaps be a Stella disappointment after initial explosion of joy.

If you know what I mean

I think I could live with the Stella disappointment to be honest.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I think many fans expectations were raised, above and beyond, when Barber started bleating about us being "Premier League Ready". We weren't then, and don't appear to be now.

If the funds were available to buy the players / pay the wages then I am sure Bloom would have done so. The recent bouts of "penny-pinching" from Barber (the subscription for the Seven Stars, withdrawing the free tea and coffee for 1901ers) suggests that money is seriously tight.

On the other hand (and if Barber is actually to be believed) losing well over £1m each and every month cannot be sustainable forever, even for someone with Bloom's wealth.

So a bit "chicken and egg". Only way to generate the income needed is to get promotion to the PL (if only for one season) but it doesn't appear that the money is there to get us what we need to be promoted.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
On the other hand (and if Barber is actually to be believed) losing well over £1m each and every month cannot be sustainable forever, even for someone with Bloom's wealth.

If he is the Billionaire he is reported to be, he can sustain it for 83 years or so :shrug:

Inova

Aug 25, 2016
Unfortunetly the only way to achieve anything in football nowadays is through money and lots of it. The question is how much money is Tony willing to plough into the club before he wants some kind of return. The players that have been brought in i believe are good enough for a top two challenge. If not Playoffs i think are the minimum requirement. Hopefully we can build on last season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here