Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Channel 5 to show FL highlights next season; Saturday nights at 9pm

Oh do behave, The BBC seems to find infinite funds to show people baking CAKES. And now Clarkson is off the payroll, you'd think they'd have something left in the kitty to continue covering the FL.
Sports quite clearly isn't on the BBC's agenda any more though - witness their pitiful coverage of the Open, and every other pissing event they've dropped from their sporting schedule so we can have more karaoke, ballroom dancing, ice skating and people making dinner.

I think you will find it was ITV who did the ice skating - for the purposes of complete accuracy of course.

Not keen.

I don't actually watch much telly, but the FLS was one of the few shows I'd generally tune in to or record. It wasn't perfect, but it was orderly and you knew we'd just get the final 20 seconds of the Championship segment each week. OK, fine. I can deal with that. I knew where I stood. Now its been replaced by this steaming pile of tramp-vomit, with a whole parade of podgy listless goons in replica shirts loafing around a bland studio with nothing else to do except wonder why Kelly Dalglish has got so fat, while some other complete nonentity of a presenter tries to "chummy" himself to some form of likeability, despite being crippled by the unavoidable fact that he has all the wit, charisma and football knowledge of a radish.

Which NSC poster has the username " radish" ?

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
Truly awful. Too much jumping about all over the place, too much pointless matey joviality. Rubbish. Bring back Manish!

I agree a very poor show. I will be recording this in the future and edit out the garb which will reduce the show to approx 30 mins.
For those who enjoyed it, it's repeated on Spike after the premiership highlights.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
Perhaps somebody should have made it clearer to them, that they were supposed to be making a replacement for The Football League Show, not Soccer AM.

This is what I think they were aiming for, a Soccer AM themed show, but what they ended up with was more like Eurotrash!

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Recorded it this morning and just watched the first 40 mins, had to turn it off absolutely appalling show. Stop start, one league to another then back again half the time I didn't know what league was being shown. Virgo was poor and what is the point of the audience? Won't be watching again.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Just watched it. Blimey, that was below Conference level, certainly not Football League level. Absolute mess. Adam's put on weight, hasn't he?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
It was on par with the time channel 5 were given an England game and decided to present it in front of a packed room full of former players being dined. Pat Nevin could not be heard over the sounds of clinking plates and glasses (not sure that is a such a bad thing)

Usual shambles for channel 5 who will never understand that less is more when it comes to football shows

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
It's very very very easy to criticise a new programme when things need to be ironed out

However, that was bloody awful.

The format is confusing, complicated and just needless. I just completely lost track of what league I was watching and then some games they didnt really show a highlights package but just talked over a clip of the goal(s) from the game.

And then an awkward looking audience standing round just undid the work of the presenters who I felt did the best they could in such a horrible format.

The bbcs version was fantastic and I never understood ANYONE who thought it was a poor program. They did a great job.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I had no idea what division I was watching half the time, absolutely all over the shop. And seriousy - if you're showing goals highlights, then just show the goals in the time-honoured fashion with a voiceover summarising it. Do NOT have Kelly and Adam with their ipads having a nice little chat about the frigging game while you're watching god-knows-who cross it in for so-and-so to score.

And who actually analyses and picks their way through league tables after ONE game ? Spinning the stupid bloody wooden thing round like its some "big reveal". It was laughably bad. Tragically awful. Beyond my wildest imagination at how poor a football highlights show could be. Utter, utter DRECK.

**** you BBC for dropping the Football League and leaving us stuck with this cuffing abortion.

Exactly

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
No structure
Virgo awful. He said "as you say" about a million times and in about every sentence
Studio audience as pointless and crap as predicted
Wonderful moment when they tried some audience interaction and realised no one could hear it as the audience member had no mike

Utter turd

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Watched it today, not great but nowhere near as bad as expected, having read this thread. George Reilly was a 5 Live sports reporter, so more used to radio than TV. The dodgy running order is solely for the benefit of the advertisers and to get people to watch the "Health Lottery" results.

KT17

Apr 19, 2014
Watched it today, not great but nowhere near as bad as expected, having read this thread. George Reilly was a 5 Live sports reporter, so more used to radio than TV. The dodgy running order is solely for the benefit of the advertisers and to get people to watch the "Health Lottery" results.

Riley is one of (now quite a few) pisspoor presenters on the (now) woeful 5live, as thick as mince, only interested in Rugby League (and in fairness to him a good commentator on that sport, clued up.)

But football, he's not really interested or knowledgeable.

Classic moment in March 2012 the morning after the extraordinary 3-7 scoreline betwixt Leeds & Forest, he was asked what was that all about? A pro like Colin Murray would have been all night on the threads reading about the game and would have been down the throat of that question...

...the best Riley could muster was "...I dunno. I wasn't there." Priceless.

Dire programme despite the switched-on Cates. Won't be watching again, Sky highlights for me.

Ceej

Feb 1, 2013
Manchester
One shot of about 10 blokes staring blankly into the camera whilst someone waffled some poo reminded me of a school play or something. Dire.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
At one stage, one of the audience by the TV screen was bouncing about like he wanted a piss.

Now I think he was just doing his warm-up routine so he could make a dash for the doors when they were unlocked at the end.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
At one stage, one of the audience by the TV screen was bouncing about like he wanted a piss.

Now I think he was just doing his warm-up routine so he could make a dash for the doors when they were unlocked at the end.

I was watching him too. Also was gurning and grinning a bit. Had either been on the marching powder or was not the full ticket .

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
This thread does the show a real disservice. It wasn't that bad, and better than the BBC offering. The non-linear approach, with features thrown in, made it much more interesting than the tired BBC offering. They didn't help themselves by involving Virgo and that orient manager much too heavily, both of whom were awful. Presumably they can cut down on that in future.

They don't have claridge, which is great. And Kelly is AMAZING. All in all, not a bad effort.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here