Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
It's not the snooty middle class liberal way - it's the snooty, Tory, Brexit voting, public school, red trouser wearing, Country Squire Magazine reading, pervert, 'Tally Ho! I'm British what, what, what' and I like to watch Last Night of The Proms and bounce up and down to songs about The British Empire and Naval Ditties in my Drawing Room, and refer to people as 'oiks' and 'Townies' way - People just like you Pasta.

In fairness, and I think we must be fair here, Pasta's views on controlling labour markets are straight out of the Michael Foot and Jeremy Corbyn cookbook.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
These “protest” voters are the worst.

No research of what they voted for and now moan about the outcome.

She says she wanted to register a protest vote by putting her cross in the Leave box: “Swansea is having a really hard time at the moment. If you walk around you just see boarded-up businesses and charity shops.” But she says that now uncertainty around Brexit risks the very future of the market. “People are frightened to spend money. Things have gone up in price but wages haven’t gone up. None of us knows what is going to happen.”

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Whose giving up on them? £39bn and 12% of public spending goes on education up to 16 years old alone. At some point though the individual needs to take responsibility for themselves, don't you think? It’s easy to think the world owes you something, but it doesn’t. There are jobs out there, make it happen. And the state will step in for those who can’t

Exactly. People have to take some level of individual responsibility for what they do and the effects of what they do.

It's the 21st century disease that a lot of people know exactly what their rights are but have no concept of the responsibilities that go with those rights.

It's just as well that all those people who voted for the current political clusterf*** are standing up and taking resp.................................. Oh

Jan 30, 2008
We are, indeed, on our way

No Brexiteer on here has the faintest idea where, least of all you, but we are on our way :facepalm:

Tick Tock, Brexit means Brexit, Sunny Uplands etc etc
yep, why look any further than a positive end to things ,bye bye EU don't have nightmares, no point drifting around in the EU that will be falling apart at the seams when we leave
regards
DR

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
yep, why look any further than a positive end to things ,bye bye EU don't have nightmares, no point drifting around in the EU that will be falling apart at the seams when we leave
regards
DR

Herd%u00252BMentality.gif

To really appreciate it, you may have to ask a grown-up what a lemming is :dunce:

Last edited:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
You may be right (and I hope you are) about May going this year though I think it more likely that the ERG will decide to get past March 29 before moving in. We'll see. If you're right and a No Deal becomes likely under the new PM then the government will have to consider how to avoid chaos at the ports. The only way I can think of is for tariffs to be withdrawn for imports from the EU. Personally I can't see how that can work but I'd like to know the Brexiteer view.

From my point of view,it is the EU that will have to consider how to avoid chaos on their ports in Ireland,France,Holland,and Belgium.In a no-deal scenario,if we can only handle for example 250 trucks per day in,that is all that will leave.The remainder,trying to pass through England to the continent,or from the continent to deliver here,will be stuck in the EU.Their problem.
As for May,the 1922 Committee only need a few more letters to call a leadership contest-might even happen this week.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
These “protest” voters are the worst.

No research of what they voted for and now moan about the outcome.

She says she wanted to register a protest vote by putting her cross in the Leave box: “Swansea is having a really hard time at the moment. If you walk around you just see boarded-up businesses and charity shops.” But she says that now uncertainty around Brexit risks the very future of the market. “People are frightened to spend money. Things have gone up in price but wages haven’t gone up. None of us knows what is going to happen.”

These sorts of comments were pretty typical in much of the coverage immediately around the time of the referendum - especially in places like Middlesbrough and (good old Stoke). For all that the Leavers tell us that people 'knew what they were voting for' out of the customs union, Single market etc) I'm totally sure that a big slice of the leave vote was simply a protest about being 'left behind' and without any coherent thinking about

a) to what extent the EU might be directly responsible for this (as opposed to home grown austerity or even globalisation) and

b) how leaving the EU would make any difference to these problems in a practical way

I think if there'd be a referendum to abolish London it might have well generated quite a few votes (outside London)!

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
But I might want to buy my overpriced coffee from an over qualified Bulgarian, in a metropolitan area. You need to consider both sides here.

Would it make any difference if the Bulgarian was replaced by Kenyan?Could be just as over-qualified,and have a better knowledge of coffee.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
12% is pathetic and embaressing. A person can take all the responsibility they want but unless they are lucky enough to be rich they won't be able to afford more education that will enable them to get out of the hole they were born into.

We spend around 4.7% of GDP on education - the same as the EU average. That isn't pathetic. Free education up to the age of 18 for everyone. Once again not pathetic. Everyone can go to uni ( results depending ) - once again not pathetic. You appear to have a very large chip on your shoulder. I can only assume you didn't get any GCSE's or A levels and didn't bother to go to Uni.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Everyone can go? Apart from the debt and the poor schooling in less well off areas meaning they are less likely to get good grades than the rich private school bunch? Apart from all that discusting inequality, yeah everyone can go...

Yes, everyone can go. You don't start paying the debt until you earn a certain amount and that amount is due to increase soon. Only 7% of children go to private schools - you appear to have some real hatred of people having the money to send their kids to private schools - don't really understand why. My kids went to private primary school - no doubt you won't like that ! You're doing the state education system down somewhat - it's financially crippled but the teachers do a fine job of educating the kids.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Education should be free for all, end of. Private schools should be banned or allow all kids in the area to attend even if they cant affors to. Why should one chils receive a higher level of education simply due to their parents wealth? What did the poorer children do to deserve that treatment?

Regardless of your view on private education, every child in Britain quite rightly, has a right to a free education and, if they make the most of that opportunity, can get educated to a very good level at no cost. (Whether education funding is sufficient is another argument).

This is their right and then it's up to them (and their parents/guardians/carers) to ensure that they take responsibility and maximise that brilliant opportunity.

What really pisses me off when people don't take that superb opportunity that has been handed to them and then look to blame everyone else for it. (Immigrants tend to be an easy target for simple people to blame their complete ineptitude on, as has been proven by a few posters on here.)

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
They do. But why do schools on poorer areas fail more than in rich areas? Why give some kids a better opportunity than others? It is by no means a level playing field.

No it's not, but neither is Life.

You have to deal with the hand you get dealt, but every School and the huge majority of teachers in every school are there to help kids maximise their potential.(Let's face it, they're not going to do it for the money !) If kids get the right level of support from those around them, they should all be capable of a meaningful contribution to society. But it means people taking responsibility for their actions and the outcome of those actions :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here