Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan. Discuss.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
2 things to say. They've both been said before, but they're about to get said again.

1) He's only 25. Pickford is seen as a 'young' goalkeeper, and he's 23. Mark Schwarzer commented how much our Maty has improved this season, if he keeps on improving at this rate and we keep him for 8-10 years, it's a scary prospect.
2) He was born in a town in Australia called Plumpton. I like it when things work out like that.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
I've always been on the fence with Ryan. Didn't see the need to openly criticise him after only a few games, but thought Krul would be the better option. In the last couple of games, Ryan has been outstanding. Man of the match yesterday in my opinion.

His full pitch sprint celebration and taking post-match selfies with the fans says a lot about him too. I'd imagine him to be a really nice guy.

On that note, I saw Izzy Brown outside the Rivervale lounge when I left yesterday. He was asking someone to make sure the kids outside the doors downstairs (who were taking photos with Izquierdo) were made to vacate the area when his car arrived. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming this is because he was frustrated at the late penalty.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
I've always been on the fence with Ryan. Didn't see the need to openly criticise him after only a few games, but thought Krul would be the better option. In the last couple of games, Ryan has been outstanding. Man of the match yesterday in my opinion.

His full pitch sprint celebration and taking post-match selfies with the fans says a lot about him too. I'd imagine him to be a really nice guy.

On that note, I saw Izzy Brown outside the Rivervale lounge when I left yesterday. He was asking someone to make sure the kids outside the doors downstairs (who were taking photos with Izquierdo) were made to vacate the area when his car arrived. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming this is because he was frustrated at the late penalty.

Picture of him mingling with fans on club's twitter account, so we'll give him BOD on this occasion.

Gutted his shot wasn't a yard to the right. Was a decent hit and would have sealed it.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
How many players do there need to be who struggle for a couple of games and then do well before nobody judges players for 10 games at least. This thread was started at half time in his second league game. Completely embarrassing for the OP. Suttner and Propper were both written off by some too and now look decent signings. Duffy the same last season. It is ridiculous

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
The double save at the end was incredible - the lack of height debate is nonsense when you are as agile/athletic as Ryan. Plus his distribution is on another level. He seems equally comfortable with either foot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
The double save at the end was incredible - the lack of height debate is nonsense when you are as agile/athletic as Ryan. Plus his distribution is on another level. He seems equally comfortable with either foot.

Point on his distribution: it has been our tactic since Day 1 that, whenever he has the ball, we park our striker on the full back and Ryan aims for him, attempting to take their CB out of the equation. He has got some stick for kicking it into touch a few times (didn't happen once yesterday as far as I can recall), but his margin for error is unbelievably small. Probably been told it's better to risk kicking it straight out then have their CB win the header and send the ball back into our territory.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

He was fine after the Newcastle game, he walked right past the North Stand to a courus of the questionable, Izzy, Izzy Brown, Izzy, Izzy Brown. To the tune of Solly Marchs song.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

he took the time to take selfies with several fans yesterday including the son of my mate who has posted them on his Facebook.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
he took the time to take selfies with several fans yesterday including the son of my mate who has posted them on his Facebook.

Maybe he had a change of heart? Or it could just be that he'd already taken a load of selfies etc... and headed back inside and didn't want to do it all again. In which case, fair play to the lad.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Maybe he had a change of heart? Or it could just be that he'd already taken a load of selfies etc... and headed back inside and didn't want to do it all again. In which case, fair play to the lad.

How would someone ask fans outside the lounge hanging about to get selfies to "vacate" anyway ?

Oh well.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
And immediately after that first save, Rooney gave him a "well done" pat on the back.

One of the things I like about him is that when he parries the ball, most of the time he manages to give it a real good whack. Rooney was right there to snap up the rebound on that first shot if it had been pushed straight back out.... which a lot of keepers would have done.

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona

I didn’t realise that our support were all over 6 foot monsters who look down at our keeper.
We must have the tallest support in England

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here