Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** Official middle-aged man's Craft Beer thread ****

StillHateBellotti

Jun 17, 2011
Eastbourne
Advice needed. I have previously done some small scale home brewing which have turned out o.k but wanted to turn to real brewing. Has anyone ever built there own HERMS system and if so was it difficult to source parts and build yourself. I have viewed numerous websites which in the main are really helpfull but wanted advice from someone on here who may have done it....Im a bit of a DIY geek so prepared to give building one a go myself but need to be pointed in the best direction of non rip off websites and suppliers....If anyone fancies helping once I have purchased all of the bits then feel free....I will supply beer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. the answer may well be in the thread but I do not have the time to be reading every page.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Had a few pints of Great Newsome brewery 'Haymakers Tipple ' last night, a light straw coloured session ale with hints of spice and fruit 3.7%

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

image.jpgThree types of people in the World; those good at maths and those who try to drink good beer. Brew by numbers, impressed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Three types of people in the World; those good at maths and those who try to drink good beer. Brew by numbers, impressed.

Agree. They are a cracking brewery. Me and die Frau are big fans of their citra and nelson sauvin saison beers. The latter is my favourite. Sooooo good on a warm day; the dryness of the saison and the hop kick are perfect together. I really need to try some of their other styles though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Advice needed. I have previously done some small scale home brewing which have turned out o.k but wanted to turn to real brewing. Has anyone ever built there own HERMS system and if so was it difficult to source parts and build yourself. I have viewed numerous websites which in the main are really helpfull but wanted advice from someone on here who may have done it....Im a bit of a DIY geek so prepared to give building one a go myself but need to be pointed in the best direction of non rip off websites and suppliers....If anyone fancies helping once I have purchased all of the bits then feel free....I will supply beer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. the answer may well be in the thread but I do not have the time to be reading every page.

I wish I could help but sadly I cannot. I just drink the stuff.

What type of beers have you brewed to date?

And good luck.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm at The Dip on Brighton with [MENTION=449]Biffer[/MENTION] and they have some delightful craft beers from the Naked Beer Co in Lancing.
e2e5asu4.jpg

I'm enjoying Freudian Slip.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm at The Dip on Brighton with [MENTION=449]Biffer[/MENTION] and they have some delightful craft beers from the Naked Beer Co in Lancing.
e2e5asu4.jpg

I'm enjoying Freudian Slip.

Not heard of this brewery before but a quick look at their website has roused my interest. The Freudian Slip does sound nice.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Boz, I thought you were a cider man.

Nice to see you having a go at the good stuff.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
If you are in the States and you get the chance you should try Sam Adams latest release - Rebel IPA. At 5.1% it's cheeky with just a hint of impudence (sorry, that's the sort of bollocks people talk about wine isn't it)

Anyway - just try it, you'll like it

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Okay. To numb the pain of the first half of the Belgium Russia game I had a 15% Brewdog barrel aged Imperial Stout called Paradox Heaven Hill.

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
How was that Eden beer? I like a bit of barrel ageing.

As I was the guy who told him to sample them, I can tell you they're superb. Islay, Whisky, Rum and Bourbon are the ones from memory and whilst £2.50 is pretty steep for a small bottle, they're all very good.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As I was the guy who told him to sample them, I can tell you they're superb. Islay, Whisky, Rum and Bourbon are the ones from memory and whilst £2.50 is pretty steep for a small bottle, they're all very good.

On paper they sound brilliant; as mentioned I love barrel aging. I'm going to investigate these for sure. Appreciate the heads up. Thanks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here