Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So what positions do we need to strengthen for next season?

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I read somewhere that Stevens is refusing a new contract that has been offered and that he wants to go back up North, just things I have heard but his contract is up in 17 so if he is refusing, then we may be forced to cash in. Hope I read wrong, happy to eat humble pie.

I know nothing about the contract situation but do know for certain that his whereabouts for next season are in doubt due to a wish to return North

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
We don't need a new right back we have Bruno and Rosenior which is plenty.

Save our money and go for 2 strikers and 2 centre midfielders . Sidwell + 1

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
We really don't need to change much, obviously a lot will depend on budget and which fringe players we will offload to increase the budget.
We do need cover in centre of midfield and two strikers to play alongside with Hemed.
Last I know it will be unpopular but we need a keeper, Stockdale is a fantastic stop stopper and has great distribution however he doesn't help his centre halves by coming off his line for crosses, hence we are weak defensively on set pieces and corners. I think I will get my tin hat out.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Left back replacement for Chicksen, CB replacement for GG 2 midfielders to replace Holla, Ince and JFC. Plus an additional striker as cover for Hemed and a replacement for Wilson possibly another season loan youngster. This may not improve the 1st XI but it would the squad.:and give us more options.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
We really don't need to change much, obviously a lot will depend on budget and which fringe players we will offload to increase the budget.
We do need cover in centre of midfield and two strikers to play alongside with Hemed.
Last I know it will be unpopular but we need a keeper, Stockdale is a fantastic stop stopper and has great distribution however he doesn't help his centre halves by coming off his line for crosses, hence we are weak defensively on set pieces and corners. I think I will get my tin hat out.

Not like PIG and FDM then :wink:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Left back replacement for Chicksen, CB replacement for GG 2 midfielders to replace Holla, Ince and JFC. Plus an additional striker as cover for Hemed and a replacement for Wilson possibly another season loan youngster. This may not improve the 1st XI but it would the squad.:and give us more options.

If Greer goes I'd promote Tom Dallison.

2 forwards.

1 LB

I'd keep Ince and get someone like Sidwell plus a.n.other and Molumby from Dev Squad.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Stockdale
Maenpaa / New GK
Walton
Ankers ( + coaching )

Rosenior
Bruno / New Right Back
Bong
New Left Back

Dunk
Goldson
Hunemeier
Greer/New CB

Kayal
Stephens
New CM (Sidwell ?)
New CM
Towell
JFC or Ince

Knockaert
Skalak
Murphy
March ( out for first weeks of season )
Lua Lua

Hemed
Baldock
New Striker
New Striker

Surplus :
O'Grady
JFC or Ince
Holla
Elvis

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Couple of strikers, left back (and a RB if Bruno goes but sincerely hope he doesn't), midfield cover (keep Sidwell too) and another CB if GG goes.

All this assumes BFG and Solly are back near the start of the season and we don't lose any of the current lot apart from those we can safely release (Holla, JFC, Ince, O'Grady, Elvis and poss Lua Lua

Strengthening from a position of strength, no ?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Release ankergen, we have three keepers.

Greer a tough one but he looked the part in the play offs and v boro so I'd just stick with dunk and goldson with Greer and uwe battling for the bench.

Need to sign sidwell.

Two top strikers. Or just McCormack.

Release Calderon, Zamora, ince, crofts, holla, COG, chicksen.

If anyone leaves then directly replace them (dunk, knockaert, Stephens, kayal)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You need to put your sensible hat on. McCormack is on north of £60k per week and would probably start at about £12m. Good player but well outside of our budget.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
You need to put your sensible hat on. McCormack is on north of £60k per week and would probably start at about £12m. Good player but well outside of our budget.

There is NO chance he's on that. I'd say about £25-30k. That would be one player on 15-20% of their TOTAL Turnover.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So eight new players became six (in practice), now 'a left back and two strikers', plus one or two midfielders - that makes 4 or 5, which is much min theore realistic in my opinion. Still not convinced we need three left backs either..............

Our first choice is Bong so we need a cover for him not LR as he is a versatile defender that can cover a number of defensive and midfield positions so shouldnt be restircted to being just a left back cover for Bong. Chicksen didnt get a look in when we needed one so you can discount him as not being a consideration and no doubt Calderon will be released or moved to a more coaching role. So effectively we have 1 left back so a cover is urgently needed. I have a sneaky feeling that it could be Ridgewell as left back/ CB cover, I hope not but it is possible.

zamora the merrier

Mar 1, 2009
We don't need a new right back we have Bruno and Rosenior which is plenty.

Save our money and go for 2 strikers and 2 centre midfielders . Sidwell + 1[/QUOTE

Spot on! The strikers probably need to be our starting pair with Hemed as backup. It looks as though TB is going to be out of pocket again as I don't think we will get anything for those being released. Maybe he well sell to acquire?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I know nothing about the contract situation but do know for certain that his whereabouts for next season are in doubt due to a wish to return North

Frankly the return back North statement is bollocks... The same was said when he was at Charlton. How did that work out?
It probably does mean he or his agent is angling for a move though.
Which is a shame for us, but he's certainly capable of playing in the Prem.
I don't think we will be able to keep him when the Premier league offers come in.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was turning out for Burnley next season, but it will have nothing to do with going back to the North.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Now clearer :

Stockdale
Maenpaa
Ankers ( + coaching )

Rosenior
Bruno
Bong
New Left Back

Dunk
Goldson
Hunemeier
New CB ( Right side )

Kayal
Stephens
New CM (Sidwell ?)
New CM
Towell
New CM / JFC / Ince

Knockaert
Skalak
Murphy
March ( out for first weeks of season )
Lua Lua

Hemed
Baldock
New Striker
New Striker

Loan out :

Walton

Loan out or Sell :

O'Grady
Holla
Elvis
JFC
Ince

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Web site had already been adjusted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brighton_&_Hove_Albion_F.C.#Current_squad

20 players including Holla and 21 including Manu.

+ five loans out including Rea = 26 man squad. + Walton = 27

To keep things simple

we need a second striker to replace Wilson

Midfielder to replace Sidwell

predominance of right-sided players in midfield and defence.

Ideally a left-sided midfielder (who can fill in a left back in emrgencies.)

Age group 23-26 with a resale value.

I think we need a speed merchant as well.

I think it might be resasonable to asume that the players loaned out and Holla will find other clubs if replacements can be found.

Of the five Rohan Ince may be able to improve his game ?

Rea could go on a season long loan ?

Lualua needs to up his game.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Web site had already been adjusted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brighton_&_Hove_Albion_F.C.#Current_squad

20 players including Holla and 21 including Manu.

+ five loans out including Rea = 26 man squad. + Walton = 27

To keep things simple

simple is the word, thats wikipedia not Seagulls.co.uk. we've released 3 players on there (Greer, Zamora, Calderon) and why would need a replacment for Sidwell, when it appears we're a short negotiation from signing Sidwell?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here