Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bridcutt Close to Signing for Sunderland? (Sky Sports News)

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
He's a good player, Gustavo likes him and knows his game...if you go down he'll be an asset if you stay up he'll be an asset...there really isn't a down side to this.

Well that may well be true for the clubs concerned. But there's certainly a downside for Bridcutt if he signs a long contract at Sunderland and they get demoted. Where does that leave his self confessed Premier aspirations? Especially if we get promoted and he finds himself looking upwards to his former teammates. It's a gamble for him, though maybe he thinks that he might make the difference at Sunderland. But there is quite a step up to the Prem and plenty of Championship stars don't make the grade.
Black Cat supporters are quite fanatical and won't give him an easy ride if he doesn't deliver, considering their recent frustrations.

Aug 23, 2011
From Bridcutt's personal point of view:
-
* he's playing for a team likely to lose many more than they win
* he ends up back in the Championship next season
* he leaves the delights of Brighton, Hove and Sussex for the sh1t-hole that is Sunderland in one of the most economically deprived parts of the UK

*he gets more experience of better players challenging him, you could argue going to a bottom end premier club is better for his development than a top end one
* he ends up in the championship but on far higher wages so its win-win
*He wouldn't need to live in sunderland, have you heard of commuting? There will be plenty of very nice places to live within 30 mins. I used to work in camberwell/brixton and it wasn't the most affluent area but i chose not to live where i worked.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
On the Sunderland forum they still think Bridcutt refused to play Saturday. Someone suggest it was Lua Lua who put it on twitter. Anyone hear or see this?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Sunderland have half a season to make up 5 points to see them 4th from bottom. Too many people assuming Sunderland (and Palace) are as good as relegated. There are a number of clubs in the Premier League who are looking dreadful-Sunderland and Palace are more likely to stay up rather than be relegated.

They could stay up, of course, but I personally do not see 3 worse teams, for me they look awful. Having bought 14 players in the summer (and the guy who bought them still in place), I can't see them splashing too much money - if they do and still go down, they're in big trouble. I agree, with Walt, though, those reckoning we could get 5m will be sorely disappointed, I would think we'll get 2 to 3 max.

Aug 23, 2011
Well that may well be true for the clubs concerned. But there's certainly a downside for Bridcutt if he signs a long contract at Sunderland and they get demoted. Where does that leave his self confessed Premier aspirations? Especially if we get promoted and he finds himself looking upwards to his former teammates. It's a gamble for him, though maybe he thinks that he might make the difference at Sunderland. But there is quite a step up to the Prem and plenty of Championship stars don't make the grade.
Black Cat supporters are quite fanatical and won't give him an easy ride if he doesn't deliver, considering their recent frustrations.

there is more chance of him being in the premier next season with sunderland than with us, and next season if we are both in the championship, sunderland will have a btter chance of going back up with parachute money etc so its a calculated gamble. Plus if he plays a very good half season in the premier league even if they get relegated he'll have that experience and there will be more teams looking to buy him

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I think people are underestimating the size of Sunderland, even if they got relegated they'd be the biggest team in the Championship by some margin troubled only be Leeds who are in a perpetual state of mediocrity.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
It's not caving in if someone offers the correct fee.

Surely if an offer is made and it's enough to let him go then it is FAR more wise to have the money NOW and have 3 weeks to decide where to try and re-invest it?

The later in the widow you do the business, the higher the fee.

I think you've answered your own question with "The later in the widow you do the business, the higher the fee."! :)

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
there is more chance of him being in the premier next season with sunderland than with us, and next season if we are both in the championship, sunderland will have a btter chance of going back up with parachute money etc so its a calculated gamble. Plus if he plays a very good half season in the premier league even if they get relegated he'll have that experience and there will be more teams looking to buy him

I'd go along with that plus his wages are likely to be doubled/trebled on a likely 2.5 year contract.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
4million minimum but if the player wants to go, then I'd say Sunderland have the upper hand in negotiations. That is until another Prem club (or foreign) comes in and he have a price war.
Still I've been that impressed by Conway that I'd happily swap Bridcutt for Conway and 2.5-3 million left over. Use it to buy a good young right back as Calderon and Bruno are getting on and for me Calderon is just not good enough.
The rest to extend contracts of current players.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think you've answered your own question with "The later in the widow you do the business, the higher the fee."! :)

But less time to spend it, so you end up getting Billy Paynter...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
They could stay up, of course, but I personally do not see 3 worse teams, for me they look awful. Having bought 14 players in the summer (and the guy who bought them still in place), I can't see them splashing too much money - if they do and still go down, they're in big trouble. I agree, with Walt, though, those reckoning we could get 5m will be sorely disappointed, I would think we'll get 2 to 3 max.

We've already turned down £2M.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Well that may well be true for the clubs concerned. But there's certainly a downside for Bridcutt if he signs a long contract at Sunderland and they get demoted. Where does that leave his self confessed Premier aspirations?.

Means he's back playing in the Championship but with a big fat Premiership contract.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Losing your best player is never "good news" - let's just hope we negotiated a decent price and it will be reinvested straight back into the squad.

Is there a mention of size of fee?

Anything less then 4 million would IMO be disappointing.

Player of the year for last two seasons, still young, contract not yet up, and Gus thinks he should be playing for Real Madrid.
I agree. If we're going to get promoted, we can't let our best players go for anything other than big money.
4million minimum but if the player wants to go, then I'd say Sunderland have the upper hand in negotiations.
Quite a few players, like Suarez and Rooney have wanted to leave, but their clubs have simply said no, and they've continued to perform. If we need Bridcutt, and the money isn't too much to turn down, then we should turn it down.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
But less time to spend it, so you end up getting Billy Paynter...

Quoting BP is just silly. I'm sure there are good players acquired at the end of the window too, especially if the groundwork is done early. We are no longer 'amateur-hour'.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Maybe, but doesn't mean we'll get anything like 5.

I would say £4M min. My point was he won't go for £2M (unless TB is daft, which he isn't).

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
*he gets more experience of better players challenging him, you could argue going to a bottom end premier club is better for his development than a top end one
* he ends up in the championship but on far higher wages so its win-win
*He wouldn't need to live in sunderland, have you heard of commuting? There will be plenty of very nice places to live within 30 mins. I used to work in camberwell/brixton and it wasn't the most affluent area but i chose not to live where i worked.

*What better players? Most of them are lower Premier League - top half Championship at best. Bearing in mind where Sunderland are in the table, he is hardly developing working alongside "better" players?

* Clubs sign players with relegation clauses so that their wages fall upon relegation to the Championship

* It's still Sunderland - where men are men and so are the women!

I still reiterate that Bridcutt is not good enough for the Premier league as he is at the moment. His performances playing at a higher tempo style of play have not proven that he can make the step up. It Gus wants to play the slowbuild up possession game that he did down here, then Bridcutt may be ok, providing he has a couple of hard working midfielders with him.

If Bridcutt has sense, he will stick with Oscar for another year as his game will develop better at this level and learning to play a different style rather than at a club who whilst they may survive this year will do so by the skin of their teeth and where the liklihood of Poyet being in charge in 12 months time are slim and so meaning that he may not get the oppurtunities to play as often as he does here.

Someone else mentioned Elliott Bennett as an example of the grass not always being greener, but I'd also use Dan Harding and Joel Lynch...Both of whom thought they were better than the club...both of which are in no better position clubwise now as theymay have been if they'dve stuck with us.

Not many players leave us and go onto to bigger and better things...Zamora is the only exception to the rule in the last 15 years that I can think of.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Means he's back playing in the Championship but with a big fat Premiership contract.

Yes that.

I cant see any downside for Bridders.

He will be on MOTD every week.
He will probably QUADRUPLE his wages
He gets at least 3/4 mts Prem Football
If they go down realistically they will be faves to go back up AND he will still be on MEGA money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here