Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Three new craft beer bars opening soon in Brighton

theboybilly

Opposite the post officer on the junction between Boundary Road and New Church Road. Very exciting.

Apparently the owner's partner is going to do West Indian street food sort of stuff. As long as it's not too much I might chance it but it'll have to be bloody good to drag me away from The Watchmakers post-match. Micropubs are popping up everywhere along the West Coastway route. It's bloody marvellous I tell you.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Apparently the owner's partner is going to do West Indian street food sort of stuff. As long as it's not too much I might chance it but it'll have to be bloody good to drag me away from The Watchmakers post-match. Micropubs are popping up everywhere along the West Coastway route. It's bloody marvellous I tell you.

Grizzly Bear just north of West Worthing Station is an absolute delight.

It was probably the first micropub I'd been to that was as the name suggests: a small pub, in that it serves a selection of drinks for all tastes and not just ale.

theboybilly

Grizzly Bear just north of West Worthing Station is an absolute delight.

It was probably the first micropub I'd been to that was as the name suggests: a small pub, in that it serves a selection of drinks for all tastes and not just ale.

The Beer Engine in Southwick Square is like that. It's been open a couple of months and is a splendid addition

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
But Brighton is also in desperate need of more 'spoons (or equivalent) for those of us who don't like paying anything north of £3.80 for a pint.

.... where staff are on strike for a living wage. There's a reason that Spoons is so cheap.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Interesting comments about IPAs.

For me the American love affair with hoppy IPAs has gone too far, with double and even triple hopped IPAs springing up all over the place. Sometimes less is more

Not really.

Less is a pale ale.

As you probably know, IPA’s were Pales brewed in England and loaded with hops and a high abv to enable the beer to make it all the way to the Raj and still be drinkable to our empire builders. As long as you sip them like wine, a lot of these doubles and triples are lovely although I draw the line at the boozy Brewdog IPA shot I had once.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Any pub on Edward street is always going to be rubbish as they always have been. Who drinks on Edward street unless you are in court?

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I've got an idea for a pub featuring a public bar that has a juke box, pool table, darts. Then a saloon with cosy little booths, no music.
Nice little beer garden where people are welcome to bring the kids, might even have a little fenced off play area.
The TV screen will be retractable & come down for Albion away games only, no other games at all, nothing, just Albion away games. Maybe England games.
Beers, I'm not the best person to choose as I'm not much of an expert on that front, (57, still don't know what I really call, "my pint")
Food, ploughmans, pies, fish & chips, (including scampi of course).

This sort of pub would do me though, it's the sort I miss! (except the TV screen part).

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I've got an idea for a pub featuring a public bar that has a juke box, pool table, darts. Then a saloon with cosy little booths, no music.
Nice little beer garden where people are welcome to bring the kids, might even have a little fenced off play area.
The TV screen will be retractable & come down for Albion away games only, no other games at all, nothing, just Albion away games. Maybe England games.
Beers, I'm not the best person to choose as I'm not much of an expert on that front, (57, still don't know what I really call, "my pint")
Food, ploughmans, pies, fish & chips, (including scampi of course).

This sort of pub would do me though, it's the sort I miss! (except the TV screen part).

The Dyke Road Pub is after a new landlord

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Vegan craft beer...absolutely foul stuff..there are a few around already.

It will probably take 40 years or so to get a decent one on the market; which I estimate is how long it has taken to get a 1/2 decent low low alcohol beer onto the market (Brewdog's Nanny State (0.5% ABV) is in my opinion a very palatable drink for anyone driving).

The Simcoe Hop has certainly revolutionised beer drinking and production, anyone can buy it and stick it in your brew and it gives a 'craft' like taste. Brew your beer for 10p a litre, can it and sell the cans (330ml) for £3 each. Simples!

I must say that I rather liked the pint of Tom Paine that I had in the Rights of Man Public House in Lewes over the weekend....was luvverly....and the beer garden with the view over the castle was very nice too.
Hic!

TNBA

TTF

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Plenty of craft/artisan products here in Melbourne too. Usually means over rated, over priced stuff produced by amateurs in a dusty old factory divided into units :shrug:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Vegan craft beer...absolutely foul stuff..there are a few around already.

It will probably take 40 years or so to get a decent one on the market; which I estimate is how long it has taken to get a 1/2 decent low low alcohol beer onto the market (Brewdog's Nanny State (0.5% ABV) is in my opinion a very palatable drink for anyone driving).

The Simcoe Hop has certainly revolutionised beer drinking and production, anyone can buy it and stick it in your brew and it gives a 'craft' like taste. Brew your beer for 10p a litre, can it and sell the cans (330ml) for £3 each. Simples!

I must say that I rather liked the pint of Tom Paine that I had in the Rights of Man Public House in Lewes over the weekend....was luvverly....and the beer garden with the view over the castle was very nice too.
Hic!

TNBA

TTF

That explains a lot!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It must be me but I think craft beers are horrible! They taste nothing like a decent pint of Harvey's and more like a more " right on" version of home brew.

There you go I have said it!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It must be me but I think craft beers are horrible! They taste nothing like a decent pint of Harvey's and more like a more " right on" version of home brew.

There you go I have said it!

You said you didn't like English wine once chap, and then changed your tune!

There will be craft beer out there for you somewhere as craft beer isn't a particular type of beer, more a process of small-scale production. So there will be craft beers of al types, from lagers to stouts, from ambers to blondes, from IPAs to wheat beers and everything in between.

I would suspect, as has already been touched upon on this thread, that you may have had experiences with IPAs. There are a LOT of IPAs around and it would be easy to believe that IPA is the entirety of the craft beer scene, when it's not. Beers more to your taste may just take a little bit more effort to find.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
You said you didn't like English wine once chap, and then changed your tune!

There will be craft beer out there for you somewhere as craft beer isn't a particular type of beer, more a process of small-scale production. So there will be craft beers of al types, from lagers to stouts, from ambers to blondes, from IPAs to wheat beers and everything in between.

I would suspect, as has already been touched upon on this thread, that you may have had experiences with IPAs. There are a LOT of IPAs around and it would be easy to believe that IPA is the entirety of the craft beer scene, when it's not. Beers more to your taste may just take a little bit more effort to find.

Very true..had a few IPA variations at a couple of pubs in London and yes, they were not nice.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Just been for an inaugural pint in the Branch / New Unity.

Beer-wise it's usual Laines fayre. Downstairs they have a couple of 42 inchers above the bar and a small telly at each of the tables around the side and front. I can see what they're trying to do, but I wouldn't particularly want to watch a game onone of the small ones.

Upstairs they have a big pull down screen and a brown ASTROTURF carpet.

Style is bare brick NY loft with rich deep brown accents.Very comfy stools.

I was in there for less than half an hour and an American walked in, punched the air and shouted "YES, IT'S A SPORTS BAR". I'm not a violent man, but I wanted to punch him.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just been for an inaugural pint in the Branch / New Unity.

Beer-wise it's usual Laines fayre. Downstairs they have a couple of 42 inchers above the bar and a small telly at each of the tables around the side and front. I can see what they're trying to do, but I wouldn't particularly want to watch a game onone of the small ones.

Upstairs they have a big pull down screen and a brown ASTROTURF carpet.

Style is bare brick NY loft with rich deep brown accents.Very comfy stools.

I was in there for less than half an hour and an American walked in, punched the air and shouted "YES, IT'S A SPORTS BAR". I'm not a violent man, but I wanted to punch him.

Shoot him dead; he’ll understand that a lot better.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Very true..had a few IPA variations at a couple of pubs in London and yes, they were not nice.

If you already like other beer then fine, there’s not really an issue. But for many, like me, craft filled a huge vacuum between commercial lagers and beers like Stella, which I grew to dislike, and real ale which I never liked. People like me were very often stuck until craft came along. But, craft has also now provided me with a gateway to real and cask ales. I almost exclusively drink these when I’m in the UK now. Craft also seems to appeal to females which can only be a good thing; if you’re bored with me droning on you can look at the ladies.

It’s all good and there’s room for pretty much everyone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here