Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Brighton Kop

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
If this means making a supporters club for a far away team, what harm is there in it ?

I realise this was nearly a year ago, but this comment annoys me. The harm is that had all these ***** who 'support' a far away team supported their local team, then we might never have got in the mess that we got in in the first place as we'd have had much bigger crowds and been more successful. Thar's where the harm in it is.

That YouTube video of these morons is just about the most cringeworthy thing I've ever seen. That prick talking about how 'the atmosphere builds and then the TV turns on'. What an absolute bunch of cocks.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I realise this was nearly a year ago, but this comment annoys me. The harm is that had all these ***** who 'support' a far away team supported their local team, then we might never have got in the mess that we got in in the first place as we'd have had much bigger crowds and been more successful. Thar's where the harm in it is.

That YouTube video of these morons is just about the most cringeworthy thing I've ever seen. That prick talking about how 'the atmosphere builds and then the TV turns on'. What an absolute bunch of cocks.

In this kind of vain, I do wonder where Amex were in 1997. I'm not having a go at them, I appreciate their support now with the money they've pumped into the club and all that goes with it. But did they not fancy getting involved when we really needed it? I know we weren't as attractive then but we really needed investment and they would have been handy to have had.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
In this kind of vain, I do wonder where Amex were in 1997. I'm not having a go at them, I appreciate their support now with the money they've pumped into the club and all that goes with it. But did they not fancy getting involved when we really needed it? I know we weren't as attractive then but we really needed investment and they would have been handy to have had.

American Express are a global brand, not a benevolent charity. They have associated themselves with BHA because they could see we were (and are) a club on the up, in a spectacular new stadium, getting positive press and regular high profile media exposure.That would fit their own global brand image far better than the complete and utter shambles of a club we were in the 90's. Frankly, we were quite fortunate to even be sponsored by a cheap paint firm and a naff local Italian restaurant at the time.

If I owned a huge multinational company at the time, and was not a fan, then I wouldn't have touched us with a shitty stick back then.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Amex do not give us millions of pounds to help us out- I think you may be misunderstanding their motives slightly! They're a massive, corporate American company, do you really think they give a shit about a provincial football club?

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Anyone joining our Sky Sports-brainwashed plastic gloryhunting JJB Sports replica shirt-clad friends in the King and Queen for the game tomorrow then ? Just imagine all that outpouring of faux-joy as "their" £500m+ team 300 miles away racks up a score against their local one.

What an insufferable bunch of cockspangles.

Apparently they have had a falling out with the K&Q they are now watching their Liverpool games at The Montpelier Inn.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Apparently they have had a falling out with the K&Q they are now watching their Liverpool games at The Montpelier Inn.

Interesting, wonder what the falling out was over. Thanks for the heads-up anyway, at least I know where else NOT to go if I'm in town to watch a game.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Interesting, wonder what the falling out was over. Thanks for the heads-up anyway, at least I know where else NOT to go if I'm in town to watch a game.
un

Unless we somehow get a freak result, in which case it is your duty to get straight down there to give it large.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Fans of other clubs live in big diverse city shock and some locals support one of the big 4 shock!!!

Living in Brighton I know a West Ham fan from Manchester, a Man U fan from Tumbridge Wells, a Spuds fan from Enfield, an avid Albion fan from Bournemouth and another from Gillingham, and even a couple of Palace fans who have lived in Brighton for 25+ years. Aren't most cities like that? We've got more than enough fans...

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

The quote that every Liverpool fan should visit Anfield once in their life was particularly special.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
un

Unless we somehow get a freak result, in which case it is your duty to get straight down there to give it large.

They won't really give a toss anyway. Thats the very nature of being a plastic - they PRETEND to be bothered, but its all for show, its all fake. They have no genuine emotional investment in the club they choose. All they've done is stroll down the pub to watch it on telly, so it won't royally piss all over their chips and put a dampener on their weekend if they get beat, not like it would for the likes of you or I.

They'll have forgotten all about it by the time they've finished their pint and minced off home to catch Mrs Browns Boys.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
They won't really give a toss anyway. Thats the very nature of being a plastic - they PRETEND to be bothered, but its all for show, its all fake. They have no genuine emotional investment in the club they choose. All they've done is stroll down the pub to watch it on telly, so it won't royally piss all over their chips and put a dampener on their weekend if they get beat, not like it would for the likes of you or I.

They'll have forgotten all about it by the time they've finished their pint and minced off home to catch Mrs Browns Boys.

Maybe, but do it anyway.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Fans of other clubs live in big diverse city shock and some locals support one of the big 4 shock!!!

Living in Brighton I know a West Ham fan from Manchester, a Man U fan from Tumbridge Wells, a Spuds fan from Enfield, an avid Albion fan from Bournemouth and another from Gillingham, and even a couple of Palace fans who have lived in Brighton for 25+ years. Aren't most cities like that? We've got more than enough fans...

Does this West Ham fan go to ‘support’ his team every week in a pub in Manchester he calls the ‘Manc Boleyn’, with a load of other Mancs who have never ever been to East London? I’m guessing not. The situations you describe are not the same at all.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

I think you have missed the point of this thread.
I'm sure we all know more than one person that lives locally and supports another team.

Point of the thread is, plastic Liverpool fans took over a pub in Brighton, when LFC were on TV and called it the Brighton Kop.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here