Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thoughts and perspective

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
It appears to me we had an unrealistic list of Striker targets (FC Zurich lad exempt) that either did not want to join us or the clubs were unwilling to let go if so they should never have been on the list. We never going to sign a dutch international playing for Spurs at this stage.

To my mind we should have signed a couple top championship forwards early on and then tried to sign a higher profile player later in the window. This would have given us more options and an improved squad with the luxury of signing a more marque signing if it had come off.

We have been naive in the extreme

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
I also agree with much of what Attila says in a sensible and considered post. The main thing now is to get behind the manager and players. I was terribly disappointed last night. (I felt similar to how I felt the day after the Crystal Palace play-off result, when Poyet resigned and we realised how much strife had undermined the players). I don't understand a strategy that ended up without signing a single recognised striker. However, we need to pull together and support the Albion, just as Attila says. The personal comments aimed at Attila are stupid and cheap. We are all Albion fans who care deeply about this club.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It appears to me we had an unrealistic list of Striker targets (FC Zurich lad exempt) that either did not want to join us or the clubs were unwilling to let go if so they should never have been on the list. We never going to sign a dutch international playing for Spurs at this stage.

To my mind we should have signed a couple top championship forwards early on and then tried to sign a higher profile player later in the window. This would have given us more options and an improved squad with the luxury of signing a more marque signing if it had come off.

Agree with all of this. We should have got one in the sand early on. An Abraham type of player would have given us a level of competence. Then sure if we could get someone brilliant later on then great, but leaving yourself exposed to having no one at this stage is just incredibly stupid.

Supadupahands

Mar 10, 2016
Is there a quota on internet bulletin board threads that we're going over or something? It's just a few bytes of storage, won't cost much.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
THPP, absolutely not my intention, I have just looked at a load of thread titles, I'm on tour in Sweden not able to read through everything due to time constraints but thought I'd contribute. You are entitled to say what you like about me, but I think your comments are bizarre. I just wanted to say my bit and having a go not at what I said but where I chose to post it is odd. End of matter as far as I am concerned.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Janssen was shirley an after thought? I doubt Winstanley had spent a year planning his loan/purchase amongst his research. Would an international playing sometimes for Spuds consider a move to a relatively small club in a football backwater with no PL pedigree?

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I find it hard to blame anyone as clearly the Board stumped up the cash and the recruitment staff identified the players.

Be interesting to see the small print in the contract maybe something within isn't that appealing to the players/ agents. Something clearly has gone wrong and the club need to sitdown and address all areas of our recruitment policy.

boik

Any reason, apart from ego, that you didn't just contribute to any of the many existing on-topic threads today? ???

The clear inference is that your words carry more weight than those of other posters.

They don't.

Says the man who started yet another moaning thread about Exotic Name Fatigue. Do you only get uppity with new threads that aren't moaning about something?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It pains me to say but I agree with atilla here - a welcome break from some of the political clap trap. Also agree with dazza about the impacts of relegation on a players earnings.

Can only assume that both spurs and Albion are pissed off with jannsen cos 2 hour extension was only allowed if clubs had agreed fee and player had agreed terms. Disappointing but let's hope we dodged a bullet here and he rots in spurs reserves.

Undoubtedly TB and CH will be asking PB and PW some uncomfortable questions.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Not like there was a shortage of existing threads for him to express his opinion on tho eh?

All the other threads are pretty negative. This one at least started in a positive and reflective mood ..... until the doomsayers joined it. So personally, I'm glad [MENTION=528]attila[/MENTION] started it.

Addition - if you have such a problem with the OP why did you open a thread started by him ?

Last edited:

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Mr Attila almost praises Huddersfield recruitment as a one off miracle a bit to much.

Paul Winstanley isn't some newbie in this field. He spent 7 years at Derby as head of recruitment. Prior to that he had 5 years at Wigan. He is now into his 3rd year with us.
He also had a head start on Huddersfield too. There really isn't any excuses ,for this fiasco.

By calling him Mr shows you up for what you are.
:moo:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Following events last night on Twitter, TBH I just found it all so...disappointing that we'd put ourselves in this position. Coming away from last season I knew this year would be tough, but I just wanted the club to give a good account of itself, and to give itself the best chance of doing so in the window. I just feel like that didn't happen, there was never any seeming urgency in the situation even as it was clear from about a month ago that things were going badly wrong. And this was doubly so as there were options to be had. Sure, not ideal, but better than nothing. Barnes. Remy. Long. Gayle. It was almost as though the club had decided at the very start not to even try looking in England but go scouting around Europe for players to take a punt on. That's just never going to work I'm afraid.

I laughed at Huddersfield buying everyone back in July in a mad panic. But look where they are now compared to where we are. It's just so dispiriting after the highs of April.

I note that Rafa is apparently considering his options after Newcastle's window troubles according to the Guardian. While our window was a lot better than theirs in terms of what we did, I hope Chris isn't going to start thinking the same. And I hope the players who got us up aren't either. Don't want Knocky gazing longingly at Leicester come January.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Yesterday is now history. We are where we are (which might not be where we want to be, but life's tough) :flounce:

Some people on here need to get over themselves. The hot air and angst is beginning to get a bit repetitive and tedious.

4th from bottom come the season end may not seem much compared to the last few years, but it would still be success for now.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I note that Rafa is apparently considering his options after Newcastle's window troubles according to the Guardian. While our window was a lot better than theirs in terms of what we did, I hope Chris isn't going to start thinking the same.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. Benitez - it's all about him. Hughton may be a little disappointed but he's a selfless professional to the core.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Strange old window to be fair. One quality striker away from being brilliant. Added some players who look real prospects, others who if they adapt also look good. It is a disappointment to many that we didn't get a striker but it's now done. Nothing is going to change and hopefully CH will perform some magic to get us in a position to get the points on the board to give us half a chance come January.
No real point complaining anymore, not going to help anyone least of all the fans. What we do know is the players we have will give 100% and us the fans need to do the same

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I laughed at Huddersfield buying everyone back in July in a mad panic. But look where they are now compared to where we are. It's just so dispiriting after the highs of April.

Quite a few posters praised Hudd's early business at the time, but were shot down by know-it-alls who vehemently stated that Hudd had wasted £40m plus on Championship shite and overseas nobodies.

I never got the anger towards Hudd and anyone complimenting them.

Weird.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The bit that's missing from the [MENTION=528]attila[/MENTION] post, which is another magnificent call to arms, is the stock piling of developing players by the mega clubs who would otherwise be playing for other teams. We already know it kills talent but it also kills aspiring clubs. The game's authorities need to look at the number of players each team can have on loan simply because of this. If 'all the stock' is corralled at a few clubs who can afford to pay significantly more to their 3rd team then even if these clubs make an absolute killing on any eventual transfer, at the very least 'all the rest' should be allowed to bring in far more than just 2 players in loan.

As usual the authorities are years behind the development of the transfer market. But when clubs like FC Barcelona are crying foul over the transfer market, football has huge problems. Trouble is, the greedy and wealthy but extremely powerful minority literally don't want to play ball unless they're guaranteed to win all the time. It stinks and bloody revolution would strike because of such inequality if football was the 'ruling class'. I suppose we live in hope, I'd like nothing better than see the whole rotten structure fall down and it became a sport once more. Don't hold your breath mind!

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Mr Attila almost praises Huddersfield recruitment as a one off miracle a bit to much.

Paul Winstanley isn't some newbie in this field. He spent 7 years at Derby as head of recruitment. Prior to that he had 5 years at Wigan. He is now into his 3rd year with us.
He also had a head start on Huddersfield too. There really isn't any excuses ,for this fiasco.

Perhaps he needed some help from someone with experience of the type of players we were targeting. I imagine it’s a different ball game to recruiting in the championship.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Perhaps he needed some help from someone with experience of the type of players we were targeting. I imagine it’s a different ball game to recruiting in the championship.

It's also possible that PW had identified good striker targets early on, after years of hard work, but TB wasn't prepared to sanction the wages that strikers demand. Until the penny dropped in the last 48 hours, that players really do hold all the aces. But by then, it was a Goodnight Vienna.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here