Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Jamie Oliver jerk rice controversy

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...e-caribbean-dawn-butler-defends-a8500286.html

Jamie Oliver defends 'punchy jerk rice' product after accusations of cultural appropriation

Jamie Oliver has said he named his new product "punchy jerk rice" to show where he drew his culinary inspiration from, after he was accused of cultural appropriation by Labour MP Dawn Butler.

Shocking news , does this mean I should stop eating Chinese food and destroy my UB40 record collection ?

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Shocking news , does this mean I should stop eating Chinese food and destroy my UB40 record collection ?

Whilst I don't think there should be any outrage over this, that's a shocking distortion of the point. But you probably know that, unless you're seriously dumb.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
It’s like we are back in the 1980s with the PC brigade. Cultural appropriation is nonsense, Jamie can jerk as much as he wants, and from what I see ihe is a full time one

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
cultural appropriation is nonsense. people should be entitled to wear what they like etc etc.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...e-caribbean-dawn-butler-defends-a8500286.html

Jamie Oliver defends 'punchy jerk rice' product after accusations of cultural appropriation

Jamie Oliver has said he named his new product "punchy jerk rice" to show where he drew his culinary inspiration from, after he was accused of cultural appropriation by Labour MP Dawn Butler.

You should destroy your UB40 collection because it's tedious, whiny shite.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Both dumb and confused I guess .

It's not about not being allowed to enjoy food or music from other cultures.

Here Jamie has supposedly taken a concept from another culture and distorted it in order to promote a product - that appears to be what the controversy is about.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Whilst I don't think there should be any outrage over this, that's a shocking distortion of the point. But you probably know that, unless you're seriously dumb.

its not really, its a logical consequence of the objection. we want more multiculturalism, more integration, but when someone embraces a culture and integrates with it, they are accused of the new heinous crime of "cultural appropriation".

which is it to be, integrate or keep cultures in separate boxes?

heathgate

NSC Patreon
Apr 13, 2015
Can we just give up with the outraged claims of "cultural appropriation" over every little thing?....We're supposed to be a diverse and inclusive society/world... let's embrace sharing clothes/food/music from elsewhere!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
its not really, its a logical consequence of the objection. we want more multiculturalism, more integration, but when someone embraces a culture and integrates with it, they are accused of the new heinous crime of "cultural appropriation".

which is it to be, integrate or keep cultures in separate boxes?

WTF are you on about?

The distortion is that it's got nothing to do with not being allowed to eat a food from another culture. Debate it all you like, but at least debate the right point.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
One thing I would ban straight away is Chinese curry. It's just meat with mild curry sauce over it - although the sauce goes well with chips.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
The people moaning about Jamie Oliver doing this really need to have a word with themselves. Utterly mental. Is it cultural appropriation when someone who isn't Italian opens a chain of restaurants cooking cuisine from that country?

Just because a type of food or dish is from a particular country/culture, it does not give that group of people sole ownership of it.

heathgate

NSC Patreon
Apr 13, 2015
WTF are you on about?

The distortion is that it's got nothing to do with not being allowed to eat a food from another culture. Debate it all you like, but at least debate the right point.
Jeez, this makes me so angry. Where does this end? Are Heinz appropriating ‘ketchup’ which is believed to originate from China? Originally, ketchup recipes used egg whites, mushrooms, oysters, mussels or walnuts so Heinz can’t even get the ingredients right according to the outraged Ms Butler’s logic.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
no , i think its just that hes a bellend

giphy.gif

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here