Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Connor Goldson

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Madness.

We must have a bunch of inepts at the club if you think we willingly let go of someone who even has the slightest chance of being better than Dunk, for 3M.

The fee is only part of the deal, a buy back clause could make it a good deal for us and a hefty sell on will see us not lose out. We have let good centre backs go before for small fees, Cook went for £150,000 because we could not give him the experience he needed to develop, Elphick went also as a player too good to not be playing but after injury, was behind Dunk, Greer, and El-Abd. He won't develop on our bench, so loan or sale was best for the player, loans leave us potentially liable for the difference in wages between a Premier league player and a Championship/Scottish Prem player, the risk of a career ending injury is on us, or covered by insurance paid by us.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I’m confused by people saying we didn’t get a fair price for Connor.

If he was worth more than £3m and is of premier league standard how come far more clubs werent in for him, because as far as I’m aware and have read Rangers were the only seriously interested club. Also the transfer was kicking around for long enough for someone to step in if they wanted him and valued him at over £3m.

I guess Gross must be shit then.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I guess Gross must be shit then.

How do you draw that conclusion from what I wrote ?

I didn’t say anyone was shit, I didn’t mention Gross and I didn’t say £3m is a rubbish fee !!

I said that seeing as no one bid more he was sold in my opinion for his market value. You might disagree with that but to take what I wrote and say that means Gross is shit is beyond stupid.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
How do you draw that conclusion from what I wrote ?

I didn’t say anyone was shit, I didn’t mention Gross and I didn’t say £3m is a rubbish fee !!

I said that seeing as no one bid more he was sold in my opinion for his market value. You might disagree with that but to take what I wrote and say that means Gross is shit is beyond stupid.

Ok, apologies for drawing an extreme conclusion, but to say he is not worth more because no one offered more is not right, if it was, antique dealers would never make a profit. Gross came for the same fee, clearly we got a bargain, if we were to recieve offers for him I think it would need to be close to ten times that before we might be interested in doing the deal.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Ok, apologies for drawing an extreme conclusion, but to say he is not worth more because no one offered more is not right, if it was, antique dealers would never make a profit. Gross came for the same fee, clearly we got a bargain, if we were to recieve offers for him I think it would need to be close to ten times that before we might be interested in doing the deal.

Ok, i accept you point but what makes Connor worth more than £3m ?

Only 32 games in his career above league one level and only 1 at Premier League level. He without doubt has potential but without a move and regular games that potential isn’t worth much.

And why was no one else interested at £3m if his value is above that

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was basing my opinion on what I had seen of him playing for the Albion not in Scotchland

I'm basing my opinion on that as well, with the minor caveat of factoring in Chris Hughton's opinion as well.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Only 32 games in his career above league one level and only 1 at Premier League level. He without doubt has potential but without a move and regular games that potential isn’t worth much.

His ability makes him worth more, and the widely assumed sell on clause and (the less certain) buy back clause suggest our club thinks so too. Rangers are not in a position to spend big, so a compromise has been found to allow Goldson to move, and ensure we are not massively underselling him, i.e. a sell on clause.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
His ability makes him worth more, and the widely assumed sell on clause and (the less certain) buy back clause suggest our club thinks so too. Rangers are not in a position to spend big, so a compromise has been found to allow Goldson to move, and ensure we are not massively underselling him, i.e. a sell on clause.

So a fair deal !!

If anyone thought he was worth more I’m sure they had our number

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Well firstly it's possible that those of us who feel he's worth more are wrong. But if we're right, then no one else was interested because:
there's a limited market of teams that can both pay more than that also guarantee first team football
and other teams don't always realise how good a player is - which is why Baldseagull referenced Gross - of course you weren't saying Gross was worth no more than £3m, but your logic would say that. Gross is clearly worth far more than £3m, so you tell us why no one offered more than that? Other teams just didn't realise, and some of us think it's the same case with Connor.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Well firstly it's possible that those of us who feel he's worth more are wrong. But if we're right, then no one else was interested because:
there's a limited market of teams that can both pay more than that also guarantee first team football
and other teams don't always realise how good a player is - which is why Baldseagull referenced Gross - of course you weren't saying Gross was worth no more than £3m, but your logic would say that. Gross is clearly worth far more than £3m, so you tell us why no one offered more than that? Other teams just didn't realise, and some of us think it's the same case with Connor.

I get what your saying and could go round and round in circles with this, I don’t think the Gross comparison is in any way relevant as your comparing Gross now to Goldson. No one knew quite how well Gross would do and maybe although £3m looks a bargain now maybe that was his market value last summer.

I suppose I see it as the recruitment team seem spot on with player valuations so I don’t see that we would let a player go for under his value.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Because you can’t answer the question I’ve asked several times... why wasn’t anyone else interested

Although I agree with you about valuation, other teams were interested. Goldson said in interviews when he joined Rangers that there was interest from clubs in the Championship, but that the Rangers interest came out of the blue and was the offer he was keen on. Rangers had a number of bids knocked back and increased until they presumably reached our valuation. I guess that nobody else got that far because, when he knew that Gerrard wanted him, Goldson instructed his agent to prioritise working with the two clubs to make the deal.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I get what your saying and could go round and round in circles with this, I don’t think the Gross comparison is in any way relevant as your comparing Gross now to Goldson. No one knew quite how well Gross would do and maybe although £3m looks a bargain now maybe that was his market value last summer.

It wasn't his market value last summer, it was the release clause in his contract, iirc.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
You really don't understand? Duffy has the most blocks and headed clearances in the PL. Infact in Europe I believe.

Also the most own goals but that is, I suppose, a consequence...

Edit: Just looking at the stats for the Premier League last season - Duffy scored 4, the next highest scorer was the entire Newcastle United squad with 3.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Because you can’t answer the question I’ve asked several times... why wasn’t anyone else interested

Firstly, we don't know that there were not other interested parties, secondly, not everyone is aware of him and his ability, or they already have good centre backs under contract, or they can't afford him, or they just had other priorities, or they didn't interest Connor enough to take a pay cut and move home, as he has done to play under Gerrard.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here