Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Equal rights for old English people! (Non Londoners)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think it is time we told a the boomers the same thing they tell us all the time: "there is not money we all have to make sacrifices. Maybe if you worked harder you would be able to afford the bus still. I never got anything for free why should you?"
Take away all their bus passes, they are the most ungrateful and hypocritical generation ever.

Do you use the bus at all?

Because if you do, you should get down on your knees and thank us OAPs. Without the money the bus companies get paid for conveying us for free, many of the bus services you might use just wouldn't exist.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Do you use the bus at all?

Sadly I can't afford the prices the buses charge. I have to club together with my mates and get taxis.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Actually that is what I do mate. The doctor has tested my thyroid as it was a bit high/ low on a blood test I had, but it was borderline...if it moves at all, then I can cliam all my medication off the back of it seemly.

I wondered why I am struggling to lose weight even when strictly dieting. Seemly a thyroid problem can cause issues trying to slim down.

It does. I eat very sensibly and can only manage to lose half a pound a week, sometimes not even that.

"The elderly will have been facing those issues" - Really? Most elderly would have been born post-war, when most things were state-owned. Home ownership for the masses has only been really around since the 1980s due to the Right to Buy. So, to make it easier, elderly will now be deemed 'baby boomer'.

"significant amounts into the system" - for their right to have access to state benefits, pension and healthcare. " while you have not.", can you figure out why I haven't been able to pay 'significant amounts'

"Assuming you are young I'm not sure why you would feel you have done enough to deserve anything." - I never said I was entitled to anything, I'm highlighting what my generation has to deal with as a result of the baby boomer's generation.
ukgs_chartDp14t.png

Generation before had done a good job getting the national debt down, it's now creeping back up.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...9892984/How-prices-changed-over-30-years.html

I never made an claim for any entitlement. Instead, only emphasising what my generation has to deal with. Playing the whole "you've not contributed" card doesn't work. only until 16 years old could I contribute, but dependent on the choices I make i.e. education, means my contribution is delayed. But sir, if you want someone to be paying for your liabilities, I need an education to get a decent job to pay the higher taxes that contribute towards your entitlements.

Look at the national debt in 1950, and remember that us baby boomers were brought up on rationing up to 1954.

Before complaining about the bus pass, it only costs money when it is actually used. Well off pensioners don't use one.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Maybe the OAPs should get down on their knees and thank the Drs and nurses that have gotten them to the age they can use a bus pass
How do you know that we don't? And you're forgetting that many of 'us' were those doctors and nurses that kept your relatives alive too? It just suits your agenda to guess at what other people think, and then try to present it as fact.
Or should we just bow to the environment destroying, nuclear arms racing, property price rising "we are better than you" boomers?
Yes, you really do have a big chip. Have you never considered that many of the 'boomers' that you despise didn't vote for any of these things? Well no, rhetorical question really - of course you haven't!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think it is time we told a the boomers the same thing they tell us all the time: "there is not money we all have to make sacrifices. Maybe if you worked harder you would be able to afford the bus still. I never got anything for free why should you?"
Take away all their bus passes, they are the most ungrateful and hypocritical generation ever.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

You should watch Logan's Run

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Actually that is what I do mate. The doctor has tested my thyroid as it was a bit high/ low on a blood test I had, but it was borderline...if it moves at all, then I can cliam all my medication off the back of it seemly.

I wondered why I am struggling to lose weight even when strictly dieting. Seemly a thyroid problem can cause issues trying to slim down.

I have a para-thyroid problem, linked to kidney failure. Was due to have them out last week but op was cancelled - I was already in a bed in the ward when I was sent home. Beds is normally the problem but this time they had no anaesthetists for the op

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
"The elderly will have been facing those issues" - Really? Most elderly would have been born post-war, when most things were state-owned. Home ownership for the masses has only been really around since the 1980s due to the Right to Buy. So, to make it easier, elderly will now be deemed 'baby boomer'.

"significant amounts into the system" - for their right to have access to state benefits, pension and healthcare. " while you have not.", can you figure out why I haven't been able to pay 'significant amounts'

"Assuming you are young I'm not sure why you would feel you have done enough to deserve anything." - I never said I was entitled to anything, I'm highlighting what my generation has to deal with as a result of the baby boomer's generation.
ukgs_chartDp14t.png

Generation before had done a good job getting the national debt down, it's now creeping back up.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...9892984/How-prices-changed-over-30-years.html

I never made an claim for any entitlement. Instead, only emphasising what my generation has to deal with. Playing the whole "you've not contributed" card doesn't work. only until 16 years old could I contribute, but dependent on the choices I make i.e. education, means my contribution is delayed. But sir, if you want someone to be paying for your liabilities, I need an education to get a decent job to pay the higher taxes that contribute towards your entitlements.

You do have a rather skewed idea of life in late 20th century England. Home ownership was pretty common before the 1980s right to buy council housing and while there were nationalized service industry most things weren't state owned. The 'elderly' had to contend with extreme levels of taxation and much higher interest rates and inflation whilst bringing up families. They/we also footed the bill to bring up your generation. You would be best placed going out into the world and making your way, just as we did, rather than looking for excuses and blaming those who have already made many sacrifices both financial and otherwise.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
It doesn't invalidate your general whinging, but it does invalidate the original target of your whinging, whom you presumed, without bothering to find out, was specifically Brighton & Hove City Council.

I didn't know for sure, but it took me 20 seconds to find the answer - 15 of which because I have a bit of sluggish computer.

No, you said 'In Brighton, it's 66..." By inference, that means Brighton & Hove City Council. What you really meant was 'the UK government'.
No! I wasn't whinging at Brighton Council per se, indeed I never even mentioned 'Brighton Council' in my original post, just 'Brighton' the geographical entity. I made the, accurate, point that in Brighton you have to be 66 to get a bus pass, and this isn't the case in large parts of the rest of the UK. Ergo it is NOT a blanket national policy! Surely even you must accept that? It might indeed be the case that you also have to be 66 to get a bus pass in Bristol or Birmingham - but I don't live there, so I'm hardly likely to quote them in an example am I?

And whilst I accept you'll leap to the defence of the council in almost all circumstances and you will categorically reject this: they could do much more to promote bus use in Brighton. Indeed there's a story in the Argus today about a partnership between the bus company and a credit provider http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1538...s_travel_across_Sussex_cheaper/?ref=mrb&lp=10 I'm not sure where the idea for that scheme came from - but I bet it wasn't Brighton Council. And if it was it'll be the first!

el punal

A few days ago I turned 60. Obviously now my slow slide towards decrepitude and death will accelerate considerably, and I was rather hoping to get some freebies to take my mind off it. With that in mind I thought I'd try and get a free bus pass, and I discovered the following iniquitous inequality. In Scotland: you get a bus pass when you're 60. In Wales: you get a bus pass when you're 60. In Northern Ireland: you get a bus pass when you're 60. In London: you get a bus pass when you're 60. In Brighton .... you've got to wait until you're sixty ****ing six!

Where's the justice in that? How long are we English OAPs going to be treated as second-class UK citizens? Why does Brighton hate old people?

I'm off to man the barricades just as soon as I've been to the lavatory. If someone could bring me some cheese sandwiches and a nice flask of tea that would be great.

In Southampton the bus pass qualification age is 60 and permits you free bus travel (after 9.00 a.m. weekdays, and all weekend) nationally, apart from London. Damn useful it is too, saves me nearly £4.00 in fares to the railway station every time I go to watch the Albion, when I use my Senior Railcard for the train from Southampton down to Brighton, that fare being £10.15 return.

With the money I save I can afford the cost of two blonde nurses to attend to my (ahem!) needs. Unfortunately there is no discount card for that privilege. Oh well, beggars can't be choosers! :whistle:

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
In Southampton the bus pass qualification age is 60 and permits you free bus travel (after 9.00 a.m. weekdays, and all weekend) nationally, apart from London. Damn useful it is too, saves me nearly £4.00 in fares to the railway station every time I go to watch the Albion, when I use my Senior Railcard for the train from Southampton down to Brighton, that fare being £10.15 return.

With the money I save I can afford the cost of two blonde nurses to attend to my (ahem!) needs. Unfortunately there is no discount card for that privilege. Oh well, beggars can't be choosers! :whistle:
In Southampton? How come? Oi Alan @thelargeone, I've changed my view! I AM moaning at the council for not doing more to help old people! How come Southampton can do it? :lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wouldn't happen in Germany.

Just an afterthought - are buses subsidised in any way in Germany?

In Berlin certainly....over half a billion investment/subsidy per year for whole system which comprises of u and s-bahn, trams, buses and DB.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
[MENTION=177]Brovion[/MENTION] You are talking about being an OAP, but you aren't an OAP yet, as you're not old enough at 60.

el punal

In Southampton? How come? Oi Alan @thelargeone, I've changed my view! I AM moaning at the council for not doing more to help old people! How come Southampton can do it? :lolol:

I've just been checking up on age eligibility for a bus pass and they may have moved the goal posts. I applied just before reaching 60 and was successful. It seems now the entitlement is at pension age (65), but there is so much gobbledygook that you can have senior bus pass but not be of pensionable age, depending on which authority/council you apply to.

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavours, make sure that you tell 'em that you've just received a telegram from the Queen to commemorate your 100th birthday - that should do the trick! :drink:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here