Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kane injured.. Murray for England?

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
That might have been because we resorted to dropping back so deep instead of taking the game to Arsenal as we did in the first half. Wilshire was always going to look better than he did in the first half.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

This is because Arsenal forced us back, largely in part due to Wilshire.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Exactly. I am trying to see the reasoning behind Southgate's thinking.

Southgate believes its better to pick players with experience of playing against sides from different countries, in the biggest club competitions in Europe and in as part of the best teams in the country. He thinks these players are more able to cope with international football. At least its a strategy, I suppose, and I guess it makes sense in theory, but just ends up with bit part players picked for England when they are with the big-6, and dropped when they leave the big teams. See: Richardson, Kieron

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Yes, a team that can win in the summer. There's nothing riding on these upcoming games other than getting game time for the players who'll be going to Russia. Murray is highly unlikely to be going to Russia so why call him up. It would make more sense to give a youngster the experience, particularly with how successful the youth sides were over the summer.

'Everybody seems to now the score, we've heard it all before', in a song sort of way. Give the youngsters a run out, let them know what its all about. Lets talk about everything except winning, it'll make it easy when we exit the competition early. It'll be alright when Kane comes back, if he comes back, if he isn't injured again etc, etc. Southgate, another establishment choice, as for the youngsters, their results last summer bare no resemblance to the England squad and havn't for years.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
'Everybody seems to now the score, we've heard it all before', in a song sort of way. Give the youngsters a run out, let them know what its all about. Lets talk about everything except winning, it'll make it easy when we exit the competition early. It'll be alright when Kane comes back, if he comes back, if he isn't injured again etc, etc. Southgate, another establishment choice, as for the youngsters, their results last summer bare no resemblance to the England squad and havn't for years.

Yeah, that doesn't really make a lot of sense in relation to my post.

I'm with you on Southgate though. An F.A man with seemingly F.A ability.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Interesting take on it. So you don't you think that Tarkowski getting himself suspended for losing his cool and assaulting an opponent, should be considered when weighing up the candidates?

IMO Tarkowski got the nod for one reason only - because Poland are sniffing about, and they don't want to lose him as an option.

Sorry, I did not realise Dunk had such good self-control and a flawless disciplinary record.:)

Perhaps, LD's past misdemeanours up until this season (6 yellows is not too bad) may count against him.

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Interesting take on it. So you don't you think that Tarkowski getting himself suspended for losing his cool and assaulting an opponent, should be considered when weighing up the candidates?

IMO Tarkowski got the nod for one reason only - because Poland are sniffing about, and they don't want to lose him as an option.

Of course it has to be.

He is ordinary at best, looks clumsy most of the time and IMO not as good as Dunk, in fact I don’t think Mawson is either. That’s another mystery.

Was surprised Cork was left out though, especially as the hapless Jordan Henderson is selected, and Livermore (I mean FFS!).

Murray realistically, never was an option, as good as he is for us, surely we need to look at younger players.

Regardless of the great work going on at younger levels, the senior team must be the weakest it’s been in my lifetime. Even Don Revie’s and Taylor’s England would beat this team comfortably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I cannot believe the criticism of Henderson as he is not my favourite England player but at club level he has been excellent. He totally dominated the game at The Amex as he has done in many games as per MOTD. I think that he was a dead cert to be selected for the England squad. I do agree selecting Livermore is a mystery but do agree with Mawson in preference to Dunk.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Which is actually a very good reason, and a bit unusual for England.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I'm not interested in a debate about which player is better than that other player but I admit these stats for Dunk are very impressive this season.

But stats do not always give the full picture when it comes to who has "the most tackles", "the most blocks", "most interceptions" etc.

For instance, Dunk's numbers were achieved in 30 PL games while Tarkowski's have been achieved in only 23 matches (4 injured, 3 suspended). How many blocks, tackles and interceptions would JT have if he had played the same games? For all I know, Dunk still might be leading some categories.

I get your point. These stats lists actually make a better case for Ben Mee than for Tarkowski or Mawson. Presumably he gets ignored because he is nearly thirty, like Jack Charlton was when Alf Ramsey first called him up, picking him for five years and winning the World Cup along the way.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I cannot believe the criticism of Henderson as he is not my favourite England player but at club level he has been excellent. He totally dominated the game at The Amex as he has done in many games as per MOTD. I think that he was a dead cert to be selected for the England squad. I do agree selecting Livermore is a mystery but do agree with Mawson in preference to Dunk.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
I really am completely the opposite re Henderson and thought he was ordinary at The Amex. Countinho and Firmino were the difference.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
I really am completely the opposite re Henderson and thought he was ordinary at The Amex. Countinho and Firmino were the difference.

I though he was spraying the ball about which allowed Firmino and Coutinho to stand out and play. When we attacked he was the release ball. with a long raking pass.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I though he was spraying the ball about which allowed Firmino and Coutinho to stand out and play. When we attacked he was the release ball. with a long raking pass.

Funny because a group of us were specifically watching him, because of the ‘Stephens for England’ argument, and didn’t see anything like that, just sideways and backwards.

I really would not have him over Stephens or Wilshire.

Perhaps I just have a blind spot where he’s concerned, as I genuinely think he’s poor.

Internationally, I feel the same about Sterling and at the moment Alli. (Alli will get better though).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here