Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Very uninspiring appointment

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Very uninspiring appointment

Not many inspiring managers available though, if any. A lower league manager with no Premier experience would be a massive risk and who’s to say they’d want it with such a short contract. Especially if they are doing well at their current club and who knows if the management would agree to let them go.

Time will tell, very quickly, a win or defeat at Wigan could determine their season.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Too little too late, I think.
He was an obvious short term replacement. He is an experienced PL manager (he started in the PL with Blackburn in 2004) and was out of contract so able to start immediately. No protracted negotiations with his employer. Not a fan of his tactics or style but he’ll have Southampton fighting - probably literally! - for every point.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I think he is the best chance they have. They have too many away games, so it will be close, but I think they will stay up now.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think Hughes represents a sensible appointment for Southampton. He's not pulling up any trees but was fine for years at Stoke. QPR fans may have a different opinion I guess.

Now isn't the time to panic for them, and they haven't by going for Hughes. End of the season, I suspect they'll re-evaluate depending on which division they're in.

As for Pardew, I can only presume he'll never work at this level again. He's absolutely gash, an abject failute, wherever he goes.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
What does a club like Saints look for in a short term manager?
Is it someone with motivation skills to do a stirring speech prior to a game, or tactics telling each player how to play and who they are playing against.
And what is Hughes? Can he stand in front of the changing room and have the players eating out of his hand? I'm sure he must know all the tactics but can the Saints play his way?

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I would imagine that Hughes appointment as Southampton manager is of far more concern to clubs like Crystal Palace than us.

I do think there is a chance he will motivate Southampton far more than the rather insipid Mauricio Pelligrino.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thin k that this is a good appointment by them of those available. I also think that had Stoke stuck with him they wouldnt be in the bottom 3. I expect them to pull clear providing other results help them as they need others to lose. I thin k that WBA and Stoke are doomed and 1 other to be decided possibly by Huddersfield or West Ham.

Last edited:

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
This is a sensational appointment, for Mark Hughes.

Contract for EIGHT (league) matches. He'll be on a tidy little salary, for a couple of months' work, plus a MASSIVE seven-figure bonus if he keeps them up. If he doesn't he walks away untouched, and Pellegrino gets the blame.

Thing is, as the league stands, they've probably a 50% chance of survival, regardless of who is in charge. They could have appointed Craig David, and the odds are still that they MIGHT have secured the three wins from eight that they'll need.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Many assuming he was Southampton's first choice. These decisions are a two way thing. They will have been looking for some time and good or bad, he may be the only one prepared to take on what has become a basket case of a club very quickly. An eight match appointment, a relegation on your CV - a load of managers would just refuse to even speak to them.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Contract for EIGHT (league) matches. He'll be on a tidy little salary, for a couple of months' work, plus a MASSIVE seven-figure bonus if he keeps them up. If he doesn't he walks away untouched, and Pellegrino gets the blame.

Thing is, as the league stands, they've probably a 50% chance of survival, regardless of who is in charge. They could have appointed Craig David, and the odds are still that they MIGHT have secured the three wins from eight that they'll need.

Their next 7 scheduled fixtures:

A West Ham
A Arsenal
H Chelsea
A Leicester
H Bournemouth
A Everton
H Man City

There isn't an easy game there, probably West Ham given the turmoil they are in, but they'll be scrapping for their lives. If they don't beat West Ham, I'm really not sure they have the fire power for the rest of those fixtures. Think 50% is generous.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
They have a fairly difficult run in after the cup game. West Ham (a) Arsenal (a) Chelsea (H) Leicester (a) Bournemouth (h) Everton (a) and finishing with Man City (h) so to get 3 wins will be difficult.

PS sorry beaten to it by Bold Seagull .

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Many of these teams at the bottom desperate to stay up would put a Raccoon as manager if they thought it would give them a bounce! I hope those owners that show less then sound judgement go down!

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
think the fact nobody has come in for our chris proves that the prem wont take risks with lower league managers

Maybe, probably more the compensation TB would want for him, only the Big(Not Top) 6 could afford it and they wouldn't take a risk on him.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008

Outstanding point.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
What does a club like Saints look for in a short term manager?
Is it someone with motivation skills to do a stirring speech prior to a game, or tactics telling each player how to play and who they are playing against.
And what is Hughes? Can he stand in front of the changing room and have the players eating out of his hand? I'm sure he must know all the tactics but can the Saints play his way?

I've seen that Pellegrino was sacked not because of the defeat at the weekend at Newcastle, but because of the "nature" of the defeat. They just gave up.

They need motivating, giving confidence, probably different things for different players if they have time..... and to build some togetherness and team spirit, I would guess.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here