Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Club Shop in Worthing?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
That's surely no shock re: WH Smith. Almost everything they sell can be bought in Tesco itself and generally significantly cheaper. I'm not sure why anyone would think that would be a good location for a shop that sells what Tesco sells.

The pet shop there is an utter disaster too. I popped in yesterday evening as our puppy has just about destroyed every one of his toys this week. A Kong Extreme thing was £16.99 in there. I checked Amazon on my phone and it was £7.49. It's being delivered today. I don't mind paying a bit more for the convenience of having something NOW, but that was just ridiculous. Even more ridiculously, everything they sell is individually priced with sticky price labels. What's that all about in 2017?

Agreed on WHSmiths and the Pet Shop. And this is my point really, I don't think that a retail unit like this (after the initial excitement) is a long term bet unless located somewhere where a lot of new visitors will go. No shop is making any money at Tescos Durrington other than Tescos Durrington. Worthing during the summer gets a lot of visitors, they don't go to Durrington. Albion fans will generally buy online or at the stadium on match day. Non match day the place is empty, completely empty.

Current Albion fans won't buy more because it is in Durrington, well not enough more to justify the cost of premises and staff. I suspect more might order online and chose to pick up from the shop rather than have it delivered. But is that more sales? Probably not.

Shopping has gone online for so much and I think the seagulls stuff is no exception. I'd love to see it, but in a location that can also benefit from town visitors as well as the average Worthing based Brighton fans. Teville Gate would be perfect when it comes, but for now why not one of the vacant units in town, particularly if they can get a short term lease.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The logical place in Worthing is either Chapel Rd or Montague St. I cannot see many people going to Teso at Durrington to buy goods especially when shirts etc can be bought at Broadwter Sports I believe.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Good news if true, albeit slightly MENTAL that we'd have a club shop in Worthing town centre, but no presence in Brighton town centre.

This, all day long. What Gives? Dare say there will be some cheapo pop-up stall in Churchill Square in the run up to Xmas, but it's all a bit tinpot and unworthy of where we are now. There were even Palace shirts (home AND away tops) for sale at Gatwick North Terminal this time last week, and nothing whatsoever in the way of Albion tops. Say it again: What Gives? ???

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Current Albion fans won't buy more because it is in Durrington, well not enough more to justify the cost of premises and staff. I suspect more might order online and chose to pick up from the shop rather than have it delivered. But is that more sales? Probably not.

Not necessarily true. I don't buy Albion stuff online as you never know if the photo is a true depiction and the sizes vary, plus on match days the shop is always rammed.

If we do get an outlet in Worthing I'm sure it'll be very very popular.

But it sounds like it's unlikely to happen anyway, so it's a moot point.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Good news if true, albeit slightly MENTAL that we'd have a club shop in Worthing town centre, but no presence in Brighton town centre.

This, all day long. What Gives? Dare say there will be some cheapo pop-up stall in Churchill Square in the run up to Xmas, but it's all a bit tinpot and unworthy of where we are now. There were even Palace shirts (home AND away tops) for sale at Gatwick North Terminal this time last week, and nothing whatsoever in the way of Albion tops. Say it again: What Gives? ???

Apropos a club presence in town, I thought I read somewhere that part of the deal with JD Sports was that they would sell Albion stuff in their Churchill Square shop. If not then it does beg the question why not?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Completely disagree. What a very odd thing to say.

Exactly. Worthing I'm certain has the highest Albion fans per 1000 of any town or City in Sussex. A shop in this location would be very popular.

Yep.

A few years ago, I saw that 1 in 16 people in Southwick were season ticket holders. Not sure about Worthing.

Loads of fans get on/off at Southwick for games, especially since it's a smaller than Portslade, Shoreham and Lancing etc.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
really need one in Brighton especially now we're in the premier league- missing out big time there

I appreciate that the old Queens Road shop had its faults but surely there is need for one now?

The biggest reason that the club closed the shop in Queens Road, was the colossal cost of renting business premises in central Brighton. Would we sell enough merchandise now that we are in the Premier League to offset that? I'm not so sure.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Wife says she also saw it last Sunday. when she was in Tesco Durringtion.

sorry my mistake got the Sundays mixed up as she said that she saw it when she went there on the way to Ferring to pick me up after taking brother in law home after the Southampton game.. If you go in the doors for Tesco turn right it is the last shop at the opposite end to Costa

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The biggest reason that the club closed the shop in Queens Road, was the colossal cost of renting business premises in central Brighton. Would we sell enough merchandise now that we are in the Premier League to offset that? I'm not so sure.

At The Amex club shop, you're only selling to the converted. They've got match tickets, they've probably bought much of the stuff already. In town, you're selling to, well, the town. The tourists, the dads birthday brigade, the parents with little kids. They probably won't be able to get match tickets this season, but they want to share in the club's success by wearing the stripes. Or buying the pencil case. Or the dog bowl. It's an absolute no-brainer. Bayern Munich, for example, have a major club shop at the stadium. They also have multiple heavily-stocked small outlets scattered around town. That's the model the club should be following IMHO. Seems to me they're not trying very hard.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
STILL NO HOME KIT AVAILABLE.

wHAT A CLUSTER F * K OF A SITUATION

Would of actually got one this year but been unable to for 4 months.

Shambles

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Wife sys it was all set up but not open with the BHA signage etc all in place.

If she's looking down by Costa that's the wrong way. The unit in question is the one that used to be the bike stores, was earmarked for a Giraffe restaurant. It's the bit opposite the key cutting / photo developing 'shops'.

Great news if it's almost ready to go though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here