Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Our all time top scorer.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I assume the poster has his tongue in his cheek suggesting Solly March. If he gets 5 this season he will have done very well.
I think you're giving a lot of credit, I think the OP was looking for a young career Albion player.

5 from Solly would be fantastic, esp if his counterpart weighs in with the same.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Bobby Zamora had a much better goals per game ratio than Peter Ward. It wouldn't surprise me if Zamora has the best goal per game ratio for scorers above 70 goals in our history.

Probably. But then, Bobby scored most of his goals in the bottom two tiers.

League games only (Goals / Matches)...

Ward
Bottom two tiers - 38 / 54 - 70.4 goals per 100 matches
Top two tiers - 43 / 134 - 32.1 goals per 100 matches
Total - 81 / 188 - 43.1 goals per 100 matches

Zamora
Bottom two tiers - 62 / 90 - 68.8 goals per 100 matches
Top two tiers - 21 / 61 - 34.4 goals per 100 matches
Total - 83 / 151 - 54.9 goals per 100 matches

But then, Zamora played in the Fourth Division, Ward didn't. Ward played in the top division, Zamora didn't. So even then, a direct comparison is hardly fair. Let's call them both heroes.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
I think you're giving a lot of credit, I think the OP was looking for a young career Albion player.

5 from Solly would be fantastic, esp if his counterpart weighs in with the same.

Indeed he is. I was going to mention some of the u21. I didn't know that Glenn was so close. 22 from him each of the next 2 seasons would do it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Indeed he is. I was going to mention some of the u21. I didn't know that Glenn was so close. 22 from him each of the next 2 seasons would do it.
:lolol:

I think you're better off suggesting Solly.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Probably. But then, Bobby scored most of his goals in the bottom two tiers.

League games only (Goals / Matches)...

Ward
Bottom two tiers - 38 / 54 - 70.4 goals per 100 matches
Top two tiers - 43 / 134 - 32.1 goals per 100 matches
Total - 81 / 188 - 43.1 goals per 100 matches

Zamora
Bottom two tiers - 62 / 90 - 68.8 goals per 100 matches
Top two tiers - 21 / 61 - 34.4 goals per 100 matches
Total - 83 / 151 - 54.9 goals per 100 matches

But then, Zamora played in the Fourth Division, Ward didn't. Ward played in the top division, Zamora didn't. So even then, a direct comparison is hardly fair. Let's call them both heroes.

Obviously they were both Albion heroes but I think it's fair to say Zamora did better at the top level. Didn't Zamora score against the likes of Juventus in the UEFA cup as well as being made player of the tournament? Just checked his UEFA cup record with Fulham and he manage 10 goals in 28 games plus getting to a final. That's unbelievable for a player we had in the bottom tier who had previously been playing on loan at Bath and couldn't get a game at Bristol Rovers. For me, he's the clubs greatest ever legend partly for what a saviour he was taking us all the way to the 2nd tier of English football and raising the standard and expectations of a very poor Albion club at the time. Legend

Edit: just seen Zamora didn't play in the UEFA cup final due to injury.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Obviously they were both Albion heroes but I think it's fair to say Zamora did better at the top level. Didn't Zamora score against the likes of Juventus in the UEFA cup as well as being made player of the tournament? Just checked his UEFA cup record with Fulham and he manage 10 goals in 28 games plus getting to a final. That's unbelievable for a player we had in the bottom tier who had previously been playing on loan at Bath and couldn't get a game at Bristol Rovers. For me, he's the clubs greatest ever legend partly for what a saviour he was taking us all the way to the 2nd tier of English football and raising the standard and expectations of a very poor Albion club at the time. Legend

Edit: just seen Zamora didn't play in the UEFA cup final due to injury.

Yes. But I thought we were only talking about Brighton & Hove Albion. I know I was.

And Bobby Zamora did play in the Europa League Final.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Yes. But I thought we were only talking about Brighton & Hove Albion. I know I was.

And Bobby Zamora did play in the Europa League Final.

My error. He was subbed off injured in the final from an injury picked up in the semi's.

I was also talking about his time at the Albion, and IMO Zamora was more of a saviour than Peter Ward. Without Zamora, we'd have probably spent our entire time at the Withdean in the bottom tier. Zamora scored 70 goals in 119 appearances for us and won us 2 league back to back titles which began only 2 seasons after we were playing at Gillingham. He took us to a level no one at the club was expecting. What he achieved afterwards in Europe only shows what a fantastic player we had and backs my argument that Zamora should be considered our greatest legend in terms of centre forwards. Zamora was a massive part of our journey from losing the Goldstone back in 1997 to getting to the Amex. He raised the bar at the Albion only 4 years after the fans were ripping it down.

Not sure if I'm correct with this but hasn't Zamora got the best goal per game ration for goal scorers who've scored 70 plus goals for the Albion?

Last edited:

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
In the Championship with 46 games a season and a handful of cups you'd expect a good striker could average 15 a season over a long period. Up here in the Prem I know we might get slightly more cup games a season but it's gonna be negligable, 8 less league games a year which quickly adds up and a harder standard.

Would probably take a striker staying with us at least 10 years and playing a high % of games over that time. Solly March was shirley a joke, but there's not an obvious candidate due to Murray's age.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
The average height of keepers c.1969/70 was 6 feet. After Alex Dawson finished them off, with them and the ball in the back of the net, this would have been reduced to around 4 feet 6 inches.

Happy days

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Bobby Zamora had a much better goals per game ratio than Peter Ward. It wouldn't surprise me if Zamora has the best goal per game ratio for scorers above 70 goals in our history.

Going back to whom I mentioned, I believe Binney had the best ratio of one every two.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Zamora scored 70 in 119 appearances.

I do however remember in the early days of stats, before football started, pre 1992 or whatever year it started, Fred Binney was 4th in the list, as a Brighton player, in the whole English league, behind Malcolm MacDonald and two other nobodies.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
The average height of keepers c.1969/70 was 6 feet. After Alex Dawson finished them off, with them and the ball in the back of the net, this would have been reduced to around 4 feet 6 inches.

A few inches in the height of keepers is nothing compared to the state of the pitches for the majority of the season, sure you see these pristine grounds now but it was a mud bath at times back then. Dino Zoff was 6 foot so i guess he was shit too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here