Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
you're just parroting Farron. sinister must have taken on a new meaning, Leadstrom comment seemed more defensive to deflect from the line of questioning.

No I'm not.

Leadsom was suggesting that the media should not question the government, and the way that they are handling Brexit, and that to do so is unpatriotic. She wants a sycophantic press that reports everything the government is doing in a positive and unquestioning way.

There are countries whose media is as she would wish it to be here. I don't want our country to be like those countries.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
They should just report the news and the facts-i thought that was the job role.....see a few posts back

No patriotic slant and no lefty opinions either

But ppf said there should be a patriotic slant to the news and that we can't have limp wristed do gooders putting the country down, I was wondering if he was proposing anything to deal with this. Never mind.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
i think the problem is a distortion of what freedom of movement means.

Rights and obligations:
For stays of under three months: the only requirement for Union citizens is that they possess a valid identity document or passport. The host Member State may require the persons concerned to register their presence in the country.
For stays of over three months: EU citizens and their family members — if not working — must have sufficient resources and sickness insurance to ensure that they do not become a burden on the social services of the host Member State during their stay. Union citizens do not need residence permits, although Member States may require them to register with the authorities. Family members of Union citizens who are not nationals of a Member State must apply for a residence permit, valid for the duration of their stay or a five-year period.
Right of permanent residence: Union citizens acquire this right after a five-year period of uninterrupted legal residence, provided that an expulsion decision has not been enforced against them. This right is no longer subject to any conditions. The same rule applies to family members who are not nationals of a Member State and who have lived with a Union citizen for five years. The right of permanent residence is lost only in the event of more than two successive years’ absence from the host Member State.
Restrictions on the right of entry and the right of residence: Union citizens or members of their family may be expelled from the host Member State on grounds of public policy, public security or public health. Guarantees are provided to ensure that such decisions are not taken on economic grounds, comply with the proportionality principle and are based on personal conduct, among others.
Finally, the directive enables Member States to adopt the necessary measures to refuse, terminate or withdraw any right conferred in the event of abuse of rights or fraud, such as marriages of convenience.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
up pops a limp wristed do gooder :rolleyes:
regards
DR

You haven't been paying attention. The EU doesn't do treaty adjustments/ policy changes unless it smoothes the way to their ultimate goal. Which is why there is so much disullisonment across Europe. You would lose your bet.

These 2 are not so defeatist, http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/angela-merkel-emmanuel-macron-berlin-press-conference-eu-reforms-treaties-no-longer-taboo-a7737656.html

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Not sure how PPF got in that post, it was not intended.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Broadcasters are there to report news. Facts. There should be no 'patriotic' slant.

Perhaps you might inform the BBC,as they seem to think they are the Brussels Backing Club!:lolol:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I'm making disparaging comments about Farage. Mandela is widely accepted as having been an international treasure. To compare just about anybody to him is an insult to him.

Waits for torrent of accusations of Mandela being a terrorist. ....

No torrents here,but would like your opinion of other freedom fighters.How about Yitzak Shameer,or Menachem Begin?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Only people who believe that Apartheid was right would call him a terrorist. You know, racists, who believe that a white minority should rule over the huge black majority. No other explanation other than racism.

You really are a bit of a loon,aren't you?:lolol:

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
No torrents here,but would like your opinion of other freedom fighters.How about Yitzak Shameer,or Menachem Begin?

Yitzak Shameer? The Russian? A freedom fighter in Palestine, fighting Palestinians?
Begin? The Pole? A freedom fighter in Palestine, fighting Palestinians?
Good comparison.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Thanks for identifying yourself.

Go on then,trotsky.Identified myself as what ,exactly?Quote my posts that identify me as anything other than an Albion fan.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Yitzak Shameer? The Russian? A freedom fighter in Palestine, fighting Palestinians?
Begin? The Pole? A freedom fighter in Palestine, fighting Palestinians?
Good comparison.

Not being a tad anti-semitic there,are we?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

To be honest, I don't know enough about the career of either of them to comment properly, but would probably rate them closer to Mandela than Farage.

I don't think there is mush doubt that Apartheid was/is wrong.

Israeli freedom fighters/terrorists were fighting for their own state, but what has resulted from it over the years is the current Israeli/Palestinian situation. I don't know enough about the stances of individuals within that to approve or disapprove of them.

The view of Farage is one formed from my own interest in politics in my own country over the years, and actually having come across him a couple of times in the region for which he is an MEP. I can justify my view on him - certainly to myself.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
More than embarrassing, it's a little bit sinister. 'All hail our glorious leader'.

I wonder if she will also accuse the electorate of being unpatriotic for not backing May's Brexit manifesto?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here