Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] The Bison Arms

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Residents in flats above are all on board & involved in the council meetings.

A craft bar in the basement of your apartment. Living the dream that is.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Just been in and had a chat with the guys from Bison and in summary (& no particular order):

£100k will get the ground floor up and running (inc kitchen)
Surveyors, estate agents, architects (Oliver Heath) are working for shares only (no fee)
Residents in flats above are all on board & involved in the council meetings
Allycats (basement) will be the micro brewery & venue
Whitbread hold the lease (3 1/2 years left) & will give Bison the option of renewing it to 25yrs
64 degrees will be mainly doing a tapas style lunchtime menu with bistro style evening fare

That's about all i can remember!

Oh, last thing..apparentlyThe Fishbowl Pub is fed up with Stag/Hen parties & will close for a refurb & when it re-opens it will be a New York craft beer style bar - Council want to tidy up that end of East St a bit more.

That all sounds excellent I really do hope that it all goes through. I'm sure however that it's still an extremely long road ahead for them with many many hoops to jump through.
The fishbowl has always been a dive bit serves a purpose for a late night beer when you don't fancy going to a club.

Oct 25, 2003
the bottom end of east street is in dire need of sprucing up before it becomes another west street....ALL the bars along there are shit and there always seems to be a pretty bad atmosphere down there. The previous incumbent of the property in question has been awful for as long as I can remember and it seems that the bar underneath it has been shut for years?

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
That spot a tourist trap though. Maybe it should be a burger joint. Hipsters have lots of other options in Brighton. What about those poor daytrippers from London or EF students. They want Burgers. Five Guys/Shakeshack compromise?

I'd love to see a Zaatar w Zeit franchise in Brighton - amazing fast food

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That all sounds excellent I really do hope that it all goes through. I'm sure however that it's still an extremely long road ahead for them with many many hoops to jump through.

I agree, it will be a long road but I think with all the good will, free finance and free professional services* and all round support they stand a much better chance than a regular business. I really do want this to work for a number of reasons.

* - I know it's not totally free as they're providing equity but regular business would have to pay interest on cash and pay for professional services.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
100k target reached.

Well down to them. Have they actually taken on the lease of the pub, or have they just secured the 100k?

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
100k target reached.

Well done to them. Have they actually taken on the lease of the pub, or have they just secured the 100k?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can I do similar to raise the cash to buy a holiday home in Costa Del Sol?

If you provide a convincing case, and it's something folk want to support, then why not?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Perhaps it should be re- named The Honey Badger???

There's going to be a party for the Sun Bear's victory apparently. They're going to put out 40 chairs for all 80 voters.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Deep joy, yet another hipster hotspot in Brighton. To go with the 50 others that have sprung up in the past 3 years or so. Now, I'm a not one of those mindless knuckle dragger sorts who wants cooking lager, sky sports and a pool table, but to be served up the same "quirky" beers with essence of piss and smug, get stung for £5-6 a pop, drinking it out of jam jars, while the "regulars" get their uke on, seems to be taking the piss a bit now somewhat. Oh, and dont forget the obligatory full sleeve tat numpties with bits of wood sticking out of their sodding ears behind the bar. Can't we just have a nice, comfy pub- preferably with a log fire- some decent proper ales, and a lovely friendly girl behind the bar that you could take home to your mum?!?! Or are those days long gone now?!?

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Deep joy, yet another hipster hotspot in Brighton. To go with the 50 others that have sprung up in the past 3 years or so. Now, I'm a not one of those mindless knuckle dragger sorts who wants cooking lager, sky sports and a pool table, but to be served up the same "quirky" beers with essence of piss and smug, get stung for £5-6 a pop, drinking it out of jam jars, while the "regulars" get their uke on, seems to be taking the piss a bit now somewhat. Oh, and dont forget the obligatory full sleeve tat numpties with bits of wood sticking out of their sodding ears behind the bar. Can't we just have a nice, comfy pub- preferably with a log fire- some decent proper ales, and a lovely friendly girl behind the bar that you could take home to your mum?!?! Or are those days long gone now?!?

I don't think there's been one of them in a city (town) centre for twenty years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here