Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
25 mins very easy recovery run this morning. 20 mins somehow felt wrong. Quite hard to keep pace down and stop on 25 which I'm taking as a good sign.

Used the run to test the Tailwind 12s. I don't look totally batshit mental and the testers are right, they stick to your face like glue. Actually felt my vision was improved and I squished me a couple of tiny bugs :)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
25 mins very easy recovery run this morning. 20 mins somehow felt wrong. Quite hard to keep pace down and stop on 25 which I'm taking as a good sign.

Recovery from what? Isn't a recovery run what you do the day after a long/hard run to keep the legs moving?

It sounds more like a nice easy-going run. #pedant

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Always good to stay well trained, never know when you might need it [emoji3]

I'm in full tapering mode now and I HATE it. Feel lethargic, bloated and basically a bit sh1t (all perfectly normal but not pleasant). Will do about 30m this week (and last), so about half of what has been 'normal' for a few months.

I have just checked the SDW 100 website as I was planning to have a breakfast picnic and watch you run by the Dyke on Sunday 14th. You'll be in Eastbourne, however, before I even get out of the house.
Can you predict a time? I was thinking 22 hours with a secondary target of under 24 hours. I don't know how you would double up the 50 mile run as a predictor.
Good move by Pretzl to be the sponsors.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I have just checked the SDW 100 website as I was planning to have a breakfast picnic and watch you run by the Dyke on Sunday 14th. You'll be in Eastbourne, however, before I even get out of the house.
Can you predict a time? I was thinking 22 hours with a secondary target of under 24 hours. I don't know how you would double up the 50 mile run as a predictor.
Good move by Pretzl to be the sponsors.

Pretzl...LOL. Will be plenty on the aid stations [emoji3][emoji3]
Predicting a time is really difficult - too many variables over that distance but if I can be somewhere close to 24 and that coveted '100 miles in a day' buckle I'll be over the moon (different buckle for those finishing after 24h)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
:smile::smile:

That was a mistake. I meant Pezl. The sub-conscious mind took over with a food link.
I also noticed the total height gain is almost 4k! Last december it took me about 6 hours, with a pack, to walk up a 2k ascent. Madness.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Recovery from what? Isn't a recovery run what you do the day after a long/hard run to keep the legs moving?

It sounds more like a nice easy-going run. #pedant

Training schedule I'm following specified it. Basically a hard intervals session on Tuesday, a rest day and a 20 min recovery run today that I turned in to 25 mins. My legs were still stiff from the intervals so my assumption is that it is putting a bit of work / lactic acid back in to them without knackering me for Sunday.

The improver equivalent plan for 10ks STARTS with a recovery run :shrug:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Training schedule I'm following specified it. Basically a hard intervals session on Tuesday, a rest day and a 20 min recovery run today that I turned in to 25 mins. My legs were still stiff from the intervals so my assumption is that it is putting a bit of work / lactic acid back in to them without knackering me for Sunday.

Ah, yes - I forgot you did intervals so please born ignore and forgive me.

It's not a good day today.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Good schedule. You won't be putting lactic acid back in though.The recovery run should freshen up the legs getting the blood flowing and removing any residual lactic acid from Tuesday. You have to run at Tuesdays anaerobic pace for lactic acid. Hence, the lactic threshold run being just below the point of producing lactic acid. Your soreness may also just be tired muscles that need an easy run on their road to recovery.
I am envious as have had a stubborn wisdom tooth out with subsequent swelling and have been told not to run till Saturday. Getting twitchy feet.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've run for 6 days straight now and it's beginning to tell. My legs are sore.

I'm going to try really hard to run very slowly today - the kind of pace I use when I'm approaching a railway crossing and the gates are down and I don't want to stop nor take a detour. If, after that, I feel the same tomorrow as I do today, I'll knock this stupid #juneathon idea on the head as I can see me heading for injury otherwise.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've run for 6 days straight now and it's beginning to tell. My legs are sore.

I'm going to try really hard to run very slowly today - the kind of pace I use when I'm approaching a railway crossing and the gates are down and I don't want to stop nor take a detour. If, after that, I feel the same tomorrow as I do today, I'll knock this stupid #juneathon idea on the head as I can see me heading for injury otherwise.

Go offroad and walk any hills. Also try to do some of your other runs offroad - you''ll find the damaging cumulative effects much, much less........

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
:smile::smile:

That was a mistake. I meant Pezl. The sub-conscious mind took over with a food link.
I also noticed the total height gain is almost 4k! Last december it took me about 6 hours, with a pack, to walk up a 2k ascent. Madness.

I've been trying to work out a rough schedule so my Mrs can pop along at half way and my pacer /buddy for the last 30 knows roughly what time I'll be arriving. Assuming conditions are OK I'll aim at something a bit slower than 50 mile pace and see what happens. All the time on these events is lost in the last third/quarter usually (not surprisingly)

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Go offroad and walk any hills. Also try to do some of your other runs offroad - you''ll find the damaging cumulative effects much, much less........

This is spot on. I've got a persistent problem with tendonitis in one ankle (which is much less flexible than the other, and has been diagnosed as a hangover from a severe sprain about ten years ago), and have had to cut my runs back drastically while it recovers. I've found, however, that while anything more than about 5 km on the roads sets my recovery back and I'm hobbling with inflammation in the ankle the next day, I can happily run for 12 km or more on the trails with little or no harmful effect. This is despite the fact that trail running requires a lot more lateral movement and twisting in the ankle -- somehow it's the recurrent pounding on the roads that seems to be doing the damage at the moment.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Good schedule. You won't be putting lactic acid back in though.The recovery run should freshen up the legs getting the blood flowing and removing any residual lactic acid from Tuesday. You have to run at Tuesdays anaerobic pace for lactic acid. Hence, the lactic threshold run being just below the point of producing lactic acid. Your soreness may also just be tired muscles that need an easy run on their road to recovery.
I am envious as have had a stubborn wisdom tooth out with subsequent swelling and have been told not to run till Saturday. Getting twitchy feet.

That'll teach me to mis-remember stuff I've Googled. Putting my feet up till Sunday anyway in the hope of being able to give it the works. .

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Good running peeps.

I sacked off interval work (already binned from yesterday) for a 8:20 paced eight miles. Managed an 8:21 average, and even some negative splits. Happy with that.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
In full taper mode today...

Yesturday was the last runs of moderate effort. It consisted of lunch time 5K park run at moderate to high pace of 06:59 MI. 22 miles bike, couple cups of strong coffee then a 14 mile night run over Chanconbury and Cissbury Rings with full pack at roughly 10:00 MI pace (garmin lost power), back by 12.40am.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
True. The burn you feel in muscles is neurological, not acid. Even after maximal repeated efforts, blood lactate is below threshold levels within minutes and back to normal in a couple of hours.

Fatigue, leg heaviness etc are primarily mediated by your nervous system and thus a recovery run serves to both increase blood flow for recovery and partially 'reset' these neurological sensations.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
This thread is more useful and informative than half the 'running advice' pages I've seen and supportive to boot. Good work chaps.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
In full taper mode today...

Yesturday was the last runs of moderate effort. It consisted of lunch time 5K park run at moderate to high pace of 06:59 MI. 22 miles bike, couple cups of strong coffee then a 14 mile night run over Chanconbury and Cissbury Rings with full pack at roughly 10:00 MI pace (garmin lost power), back by 12.40am.

If you're like me you'll also be in full 'sh*tting yourself at the thought of it' mode :cry::cry::cry:

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
This thread is more useful and informative than half the 'running advice' pages I've seen and supportive to boot. Good work chaps.
It's a lot like the cycling geeks thread - a good mix of ages, abilities, varied experience and knowledge without anyone trying to be a smart arse!

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
If you're like me you'll also be in full 'sh*tting yourself at the thought of it' mode :cry::cry::cry:

I think im more in a denial mode.. strangely looking forward to it and can't wait till the big off.. Full on 'sh*tting myself at the thought of it' mode will, I expect will arrive heavily next week.. with the usual.. "i havn't done enough training/runs/got too many niggles/can't run that far/gonna get lost/everythingelse... aaaarrrgghhhhh"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here