Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Well done Paul Barber

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Who spotted Ulloa ? The much derided Gus Poyet.
This is so tiring and such a lame perspective, if it were a horse it would have been shot.

The management structure at the time bought Leo to the club.
The management structure at the time sold Leo to another club.

As [MENTION=15363]Plooks[/MENTION] said even if Gus 'spotted' Ulloa, whatever that means, bearing in mind he was scoring goals for Almeria at the time.
Not exactly doing a Saddam and hiding in a hole.

We can be sure Gus didn't put the deal together, drive a hard bargain not only on the price but on the sell on clauses too, then do the same to Leicester.

Gus going out there to press the flesh and keep the deal on track, if that is what he did, is great but that's his job and very much in his best interests to do it.

You can't turn on Barber for just doing his job, but expect Gus to be praised for exactly the same.

The whole team did a great job with Ulloa - 'nuff said.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Barber was bought in to get this club ready for the prem, on all levels off field and he has done that. He will hang around a little while longer but if we don't go up this season, I think Mr Barber will be off to his next troubleshoot!!!!!!

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Paid two pounds too much IMO....Seriously...I think he is a great guy,I've sent him a couple of Emails...one late evening and got a reply in half hour...he knows what he is doing and worth the high wage. Well done Paul.

Agreed. In fact it could be argued he is a bargain at 480k. He is the man running the club on a day to day basis. Tony Blooms involvement may well be daily but not huge with all his other business commitments. Wasn't he voted CEO of the year or something similar by his peers? He's also been successful for the FA and Spurs in similar roles over a number of years. If Tony Bloom says he's happy with him, that's good enough for me. I don't believe he's generated the wealth he has by employing staff for nearly half a million pounds a year and not having them deliver. As has been said on here, Paul Barber is doing an excellent job. Certainly more than ok.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Paid two pounds too much IMO....Seriously...I think he is a great guy,I've sent him a couple of Emails...one late evening and got a reply in half hour...he knows what he is doing and worth the high wage. Well done Paul.

If his KPI is written around time taken to respond to emails he's done a great job. I'm sure there's more to it than that though.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A question to those 'in the know'.

Was it Barber who identified the Azure contract/performance as inadequate, and then swiftly dealt with it bringing it to an abrupt end?

I've always assumed it was, as it seemed to all happen relatively soon after Barber's arrival.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Agreed. In fact it could be argued he is a bargain at 480k. He is the man running the club on a day to day basis. Tony Blooms involvement may well be daily but not huge with all his other business commitments. Wasn't he voted CEO of the year or something similar by his peers? He's also been successful for the FA and Spurs in similar roles over a number of years. If Tony Bloom says he's happy with him, that's good enough for me. I don't believe he's generated the wealth he has by employing staff for nearly half a million pounds a year and not having them deliver. As has been said on here, Paul Barber is doing an excellent job. Certainly more than ok.
But didn't the loses increase after he was brought in to lower them? Not too sure how that can all be someone else's fault

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
But didn't the loses increase after he was brought in to lower them? Not too sure how that can all be someone else's fault

The losses i'm sure were planned, managed and agreed with Tony Bloom. Any sensible club has brought forward losses accordingly to keep in line with FFP exactly.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Was it Barber who identified the Azure contract/performance as inadequate, and then swiftly dealt with it bringing it to an abrupt end?

Yes. He said this at the time
As with any venue, catering represents a very important element of the experience we provide and we have made it a high priority both for our matches and for all other events at the stadium.
“Listening to our customers, we work wherever it is possible and viable to do so with locally produced products and local suppliers, while striving for the highest possible levels of service, quality, and value for money for our fans and customers at all times.
“Since the stadium’s opening, we have attempted to meet these very important aims by working closely with a catering partner, Azure.
“Despite our best efforts, many customers do not feel that these aims have been met.
“With this in mind, we have decided to engage new caterers.”

via
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/10069873.Club_say_goodbye_to_match_caterers/

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
How anyone can begrudge Tony spending his own money on employing who he wants is beyond me.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Not suggesting it wasn't Poyet but are you certain it was him and not the club's scouting system?
It was the previously employed European scouting individual, laid off recently.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I see all the lickers are out browning their noses.:tosser:

As Barber earns 40 times more than most of the street sweepers and binmen in this thread the proper response would be critical scrutiny not brainless worship.:wrong:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Thanks for that.
I think that showed his experience and courage in tackling issues head on, something Brown or Perry (other than on construction matters) wouldn't have done.
Although it was always stated to be Azure's failure to deliver, I wonder if the Board/Barber also identified that the Club's share of income from it was skewed too heavily in Azure's favour? Being based on a model of lower crowds and a lower spend per person.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I just have a wee bit of a problem when someone's livelihood is in part dependent on depriving other people of theirs. Just a personal thing...

Me too. It's not personal; it used to be collective, back in the day when workers managed to increase wages, benefits and their security, and decrease the number of hours they worked.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here