Job decision help

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

LockStock

Jan 29, 2008
Sussex
I'm edging with I'm generally a man of my word and I've excepted the new job so that choice is made, and I'd feel a bit stupid after making it fairly public about my choice to leave then going back on it. I think it's partly just fear of the unknown. I think in my head I know I'm onto a good number where I am now, but know it's not testing me and making best use if my potential.

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
I have recently been offered an excepted a new job. At first I was 100% sure it was the right move. But I don't think I've given it enough though. I got offered the job Tuesday and had excepted by Thursday and have since had the weekend to think it over

Are you Liam Bridcutt?

The Bun Elephant

Feb 16, 2010
Sussex By The Sea
I myself would rather be PAYE instead of self employed at the moment, although no job can give 100% security at least with PAYE you have some comfort
If your boss is will to pay you a bit more and you have 10 years service I would stay put.... The grass may not be greener and all that jazz

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Always be careful with the notion the grass is greener on the either side and also remember moving to another company may mean you have to prove your value all over again.

No company is perfect and they all have their bad parts, I have been offered numerous jobs recently via Linked In and being contacted by HR recruitment companies (especially as there will be an upturn) and turned them down as although fabulous pay not always the right move or comparable over all.

Strangely I did actually apply for one job I really felt I could do very well and spectacularly failed not even getting an interview so perhaps that tells me something.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I spent 9 years at my first employer and could have left on two occasions but each time I was offered more money to stay (more than I would have got at the other jobs) and having spoken to friends at the time I stayed (would have been a career change as well). I opted to stay and with the benefit of hindsight regretted it.

It's your decision but my advice would be to go for it unless you have heard bad things about the new company?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I have recently been offered an excepted a new job. At first I was 100% sure it was the right move. But I don't think I've given it enough though. I got offered the job Tuesday and had excepted by Thursday and have since had the weekend to think it over. would be going from a company I've been at for 10 years since leaving school. My boss can be a bit of an arse but seemed genuinely disappointed when I handed my notice and did ask me and offer me more money to stay, but I turned him down. If I took the rise id be on more money at my current job as is be going from paye to self employed. I told the guy Thursday I'd take the job and have agreed a start date but haven't signed a contact yet. Would it be a bad move to back out of it?i don't know if it's just nerves getting the better of me. I would have to work harder and not as local as I'm used to but all the people who work for him do all seem very happy. I'm find it all very stressful as I've got a family to consider!!

Sometimes it is better the devil you know.

What are your main concerns? And does your family think it's good to move on?

If it feels that stressful weighing up the choices and you are unsure it must be for a good reason.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Quit Millwall and come play for us Mr Trotter

(if not got the right guy, then I'd still go for it but that's just me, would always be wondering otherwise)

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
This. Pros and cons to both. Write down the pros and cons for each job... Which one suits your life better?

P.s. Do not flip a coin to decide.

Ignore this advice. Make your decision after reading your stars in the Sun.

This seems to be how my other half rolls.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
If money was your major reason for leaving, you should stay now that you have got the offer of more to stay. If career advancement was the reason, you should probably go. With a family, stability should be paramount now that you have been offered more to stay - unless there are other more pressing reasons (doesn't sound like it), then you should stay. Stable job with no stress and reasonable hours with fair remuneration is worth more than worry. Just make sure you make it clear you want to progress (in terms of role and salary) where you are.

The grass is rarely as green as you think.

binky

Aug 9, 2005
Hove
Nothing stays the same.
On three occasions, I have elected to stay in a current job/role rather than take an oportunity... and while it's impossible to KNOW, I believe it was the wrong choce on all three occasions, as things changed for the worse in my safe niche soon after, and spent some of my unhappiest times stuck in a place it was difficult to extract myself from.

There are no garuntees in life.
Make the most of the oppoortunities that come your way.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Isn't it strange how you somehow become more appreciated, and offered more money when you are about to leave.
If you were truly happy in your current job, and with the pay rise, then you would not be considering leaving.
Obviously this new firm wanted you otherwise they would not have contacted you.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
They reckon it only takes 2 months for someone who has got a pay rise to believe that they are due another rise.

Noldi

Sep 5, 2010
Horsham
Only you can decide. I have always taken chances with jobs some worked out some didn't but at least I know I have tried and got to work in other countries in some interesting places BUT have found myself out of work a couple of times. The only advice I would give you in your career " always leave on good terms building up a good reputation and your network will increase and the phone will ring more often with opportunities"

I look back at some of the lads I went to school with and some are still working in the same jobs they had when they left school and at mid 50s I'm glad that I moved around.

Noldi

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I have recently been offered an excepted a new job. At first I was 100% sure it was the right move. But I don't think I've given it enough though. I got offered the job Tuesday and had excepted by Thursday and have since had the weekend to think it over. would be going from a company I've been at for 10 years since leaving school. My boss can be a bit of an arse but seemed genuinely disappointed when I handed my notice and did ask me and offer me more money to stay, but I turned him down. If I took the rise id be on more money at my current job as is be going from paye to self employed. I told the guy Thursday I'd take the job and have agreed a start date but haven't signed a contact yet. Would it be a bad move to back out of it?i don't know if it's just nerves getting the better of me. I would have to work harder and not as local as I'm used to but all the people who work for him do all seem very happy. I'm find it all very stressful as I've got a family to consider!!

If you enjoy the job you're in, then stick with it - you don't know what you might be moving into. However, you have to decide whether it's just nerves about moving on after 10 years at one place. If the new opportunity genuinely excites you, then go for it.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I myself would rather be PAYE instead of self employed at the moment, although no job can give 100% security at least with PAYE you have some comfort
If your boss is will to pay you a bit more and you have 10 years service I would stay put.... The grass may not be greener and all that jazz

There's little extra security in PAYE right now - they can make you redundant in around two weeks if they want. I've learnt that from bitter experience and am currently going through the process ... again !

@LockStock - you mention you've been with this company for 10 years and since school. I'd suggest most of your nerves are because you are not used to job hopping. Personally I'd give the new job a go just as long as it suits you financial and career goals. You'll always wonder "what if" if you don't. Also remember that it can become harder and harder to move to a new company if you stay too long at an employer and become institutionalised.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here