Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Johnny Byrne song

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Taking a client tomorrow to Worthing central clinic to see podaitrist Johnny Byrne - one of my faves from the past, classy finisher, great partnership with Mike Small. Anyone remember if we had a song for him because I can't for the life of me remember...... thought we could sing it on the way in.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I seem to recall it being his name sung repetitively to the same tune as "Albion Albion Albion". But my memory may not be correct.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It was just 'Johnny Byrne' continuously repeated to the 'Albion, Albion' tune. He always acknowledged us.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Can't remember. Probably; oh Johnny Johnny, Johnny Johnny Johnny Johnny, Johnny Byrne.

In my head I used to sing 'please dont go, begging you to stay' as I think that was in the charts at a similar time to him moving on.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
ha ha, yes of course, many thanks! never forget celebrating his goal in the northstand in the fac replay(?) against fulham was it or a non league team.... one of my favourite players.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Definitely "Johnny must stay, Johnny must stay, wo-oh, wo-oh" which was the first inkling I had he was off to Sunderland. Imagine losing your best players to that lot - hard for younger fans to imagine ...

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Deffo the one based on the proper Albion Albion Albion chant.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I seem to recall it being his name sung repetitively to the same tune as "Albion Albion Albion". But my memory may not be correct.

It was this...

It was just 'Johnny Byrne' continuously repeated to the 'Albion, Albion' tune. He always acknowledged us.

...and this

I'm getting worried about my memory. I went to nearly every home and away game that season.

Me too. I was stood not twenty yards from the great man last Saturday while he coached my son and I didn't recognise him :facepalm: . I also went to nearly every game that season. In fact having looked it up I think I only missed West Brom and Bristol Rovers away :)facepalm: again)

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
This was my defining Albion season and Johnny Byrne my second favorite Albion player ever. The chants were pretty basic those days though.
One Perry Digweed, there's only one....
Johnny Crumplin football genius...
Ian Chapman - no chant
Deano, Deano, Deano,
Ooooo Gary Chivers, oooo Gary Chivers...
One Steve Gatting etc
Mark Barham - no chant
One Robert Codner - rare
Johnny Byrne, Johnny Byrne, Johnny Byrne...
Mickey Small, Mickey Small, Mickey Small,
Clive Walker - no chant

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here