Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How would YOU change the 25 man squad in the summer?

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
A few thoughts based on the above.

Can we use some nicer terminology? Talking about "getting rid of" and "upgrading" the players who've got us into this position is all a bit unsavoury isn't it. They blatantly read all this you know.

Bruno is worth another year.

Knocky has been growing into this season and is easily good enough to start in a mid table premier team (ie us)

There are players who have been good servants who deserve first team football. Ie Rosenior, Skalak, Sidwell, Uwe, Hemed, Baldock, I expect all 6 will leave and they should go with our blessing

I also imagine someone (i'm going to guess West Ham) will offer to double Dunk's wages. If so, best of luck Lewis. I think one or two others may be tempted by more first team football as well, maybe Kayal, maybe Goldson

I'm also going to guess that about half of the replacements for the 7-10 that go will all have genuine first team potential, half will be obvious back ups.

4 or 5 players of genuine first team potential, will set Tony back about £50m to £80m in this market. Ouch

I think Walton is best served by another year on loan. If we could send him abroad for experience that would be great. The following season, back to the Albion to try to displace Maty.

Don't forget, we might still go down

Why would Dunk sign for a Championship team like West Ham , when he can play in the Premier League with us ?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Yes, but not in the top six (too slow).
Aside from them, I see no reason why he would want to leave. Don't think the opportunity to turn out for Watford or Burnley is any more appealing.

I reckon Everton, Saints, West Ham or others might pay a bigger wage?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I guess tweaks rather than wholesale changes. Bring in a couple of players who are better than what we've currently got (no, I've no idea which positions that will be), and maybe rely on some youngsters to fill the places of some of those players who haven't featured this season and will probably move on.

Genuine question re: squads - do we have to have a minimum number of HGPs, or is it that we are only allowed x number of foreigners (in which case theoretically we wouldn't have to bother about getting HGPs in if we didn't mind a squad smaller than 25)?

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I think Chris' attitude to squad building is fairly straight forward. Two good players for every position, with 3 keepers = 25. Fairly sure CH's response to those saying about the first XI vs squad is that competition of places is a good thing (e.g. A better RW than skalak would have been useful given Kocky's hit and miss season). We've also been lucky with injuries and suspensions relatively (especially in midfield).

I would therefore expect - IF we stay up:

1. Ryan
2. Krul
3. Replacement for Maenpaa (who i expect to ask to leave (with Walton loaned again))
4. Schlelotto
5. RB (expect Bruno to retire)
6. Bong
7. Suttner
8. CB (expect Dunk to double his wages somewhere like Leicester, Everton or even arsenal/ Liverpool but hope wrong)
9. Duffy
10. Goldson
11. CB (expect Hune to ask to leave).
12. Stephens
13. New holding midfielder
14. Propper
15. Kayal
16. Gross
17. New attacking Mid (my money's on Nick Powell)
18. Knockaert
19. New RW to replace Skalak and challenge Knocky
20. Izquierdo
21. March
22. Murray
23. Ulloa made perm, replacing hemed as second 'big man up front' option
24. Locadia
25. New 'second nippy forward' to replace Sam who doesn't seem to have had much of a look in with CH this year.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think Chris' attitude to squad building is fairly straight forward. Two good players for every position, with 3 keepers = 25. Fairly sure CH's response to those saying about the first XI vs squad is that competition of places is a good thing (e.g. A better RW than skalak would have been useful given Kocky's hit and miss season). We've also been lucky with injuries and suspensions relatively (especially in midfield).

1. Ryan
2. Krul
3. Replacement for Maenpaa (who i expect to ask to leave (with Walton loaned again))
4. Schlelotto
6. Bong
7. Suttner
8. CB (expect Dunk to double his wages somewhere like Leicester, Everton or even arsenal/ Liverpool but hope wrong)
9. Duffy
10. Goldson
12. Stephens
14. Propper
15. Kayal
16. Gross
18. Knockaert
20. Izquierdo
21. March
22. Murray
24. Locadia
25. New 'second nippy forward' to replace Sam who doesn't seem to have had much of a look in with CH this year.

Think you’ve nailed it there. Recruit 4/5 players really well and not much else would need doing.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Genuine question re: squads - do we have to have a minimum number of HGPs, or is it that we are only allowed x number of foreigners (in which case theoretically we wouldn't have to bother about getting HGPs in if we didn't mind a squad smaller than 25)?

We don't HAVE to name 25 players and we don't HAVE to name at least 8 HGPs; but, we cannot name MORE THAN 25 players and we cannot name MORE THAN 17 non-HGPs.

For instance, in February, Man City named only 18 in total (4 HGPs and 14 non-HGPs), Chelsea named 21 (5 and 16) and Bournemouth also named 21 (18 and 3).

Crystal Palace, of course, only named 24 in total (12 + 12) but have just added goalkeeper Diego Cavalieri to the squad.

I'm struggling to think that Hughton would willingly name fewer than his permitted maximum, which of course means that we have to find at least 8 HGPs for the squad.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
We'll never be the biggest payers but if we could finish in the top 12 then we're likely to attract a better class of signing than if we escape relegation by a whisker.

I think we have a great squad but the key to establishing ourselves in the top 10 is getting a creative goalscoring midfielder.

Stephens and Propper are good holding midfielders but we probably need to upgrade on Knockaert, someone with more composure and more end product. If we could find our Mahrez then 2018/19 could be our best ever top flight season.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

1. Ryan
2. Krul
4. Schlelotto
6. Bong
7. Suttner
9. Duffy
10. Goldson
12. Stephens
14. Propper
15. Kayal
16. Gross
18. Knockaert
20. Izquierdo
21. March
22. Murray
24. Locadia

As [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] has said, this is pretty close to how is expect to see it going. Midfield requires an extra body as we've been fortunate with injuries there this season.

I wonder if there's a coaching role or similar for Bruno and Rosenior for next season? Would be great to keep them involved. And Sidwell.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

1. Ryan
2. Krul
4. Schlelotto
6. Bong
7. Suttner
9. Duffy
10. Goldson
12. Stephens
14. Propper
15. Kayal
16. Gross
18. Knockaert
20. Izquierdo
21. March
22. Murray
24. Locadia
Hughton seems to always want 9 defenders in the squad. Unless we bring in an U21, then I suspect #17 and #25 above will be the same player.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
To sign ulloa and keep hemed would be a backward move. Too slow. If it’s One or the other, I’d have ulloa every time. Not that hemed is a bad player, but ulloa is a higher level

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Can we use some nicer terminology? Talking about "getting rid of" and "upgrading" the players who've got us into this position is all a bit unsavoury isn't it. They blatantly read all this you know.

Knocky has been growing into this season and is easily good enough to start in a mid table premier team (ie us)

There are players who have been good servants who deserve first team football. Ie Rosenior, Skalak, Sidwell, Uwe, Hemed, Baldock, I expect all 6 will leave and they should go with our blessing

I also imagine someone (i'm going to guess West Ham) will offer to double Dunk's wages. If so, best of luck Lewis. I think one or two others may be tempted by more first team football as well, maybe Kayal, maybe Goldson

I'm also going to guess that about half of the replacements for the 7-10 that go will all have genuine first team potential, half will be obvious back ups.

4 or 5 players of genuine first team potential, will set Tony back about £50m to £80m in this market. Ouch

I think Walton is best served by another year on loan. If we could send him abroad for experience that would be great. The following season, back to the Albion to try to displace Maty.

Good post.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

Great post. Sadly it's time Bruno moved on though. If we were in the Championship fair enough.
You need pace in the fall back area in this league.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Did I imagine it or did I read that the transfer window finishes before the season starts. Makes it more interesting. More of a push to get them all earlier for pre season training.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Can Goldson not fill the vacancy as cover for Schellotto and also 3rd choice CB. I wouldnt even consider Traore of Middlesbro as I believe that he is all show and no substance or end product.I would sooner look at Swansea No 4 if they get relegated or Lemina if Southampton go down

The poster suggesting Traore was as a replacement for Skalak though. Obviously you are entitled to your opinion of him but Lemina and Ki are hardly like for like are they. (FWIW, Lemina will be off to bigger and better things than us or Saints I suspect.)

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
To sign ulloa and keep hemed would be a backward move. Too slow. If it’s One or the other, I’d have ulloa every time. Not that hemed is a bad player, but ulloa is a higher level

If we signed another striker, and Hemed is happy to float around as a fringe player covering for injuries and the League Cup, I wouldn't be averse to keeping him. He can't be on big money. But if the squad numbers don't add up, I agree he would need to go.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The poster suggesting Traore was as a replacement for Skalak though. Obviously you are entitled to your opinion of him but Lemina and Ki are hardly like for like are they. (FWIW, Lemina will be off to bigger and better things than us or Saints I suspect.)

I really rate Lemina and Ki, but due their proven PL quality, they would be sold for silly money. Stains are masters at this and Swansea won't be mugs.

I can see Winstanley looking to overseas again.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

1. Ryan
2. Krul
4. Schlelotto
6. Bong
7. Suttner
9. Duffy
10. Goldson
12. Stephens
14. Propper
15. Kayal
16. Gross
18. Knockaert
20. Izquierdo
21. March
22. Murray
24. Locadia

Good post, pretty much as it will be I'd think. Dunk will probably go to a top 6 club for daft money, although would love it if he stayed....could be captain for years. We've been incredibly lucky with Stephens/Propper this season (particularly when Kayal was out), no way the club won't get a midfielder in.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I really rate Lemina and Ki, but due their proven PL quality, they would be sold for silly money. Stains are masters at this and Swansea won't be mugs.

I can see Winstanley looking to overseas again.

Me too. And as suggested earlier by TSB I would imagine that Thomas Delaney will be on the (cluster) list again.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Any of the former striker targets to be attempted again I wonder? Andone for a third and final time or has that ship sailed...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here