Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our New Manager: The Stats

Who is an acceptable choice for manager?

• Malky Mackay

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • Steve Coppell

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Tim Sherwood

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Steve Clarke

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • Chris Hughton

• Sean Dyche

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • Owen Coyle

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Alan Curbishley

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • Another British Manager

• Foreign Manager

Votes: 2 4.2%

• Total voters

Statto98

Oct 26, 2014
Promoted Teams
2004–05
Sunderland – MICK McCARTHY Wigan Athletic – PAUL JEWELL West Ham United – ALAN PARDEW
2005–06
Reading – STEVE COPPELL Sheffield United – NEIL WARNOCK Watford – AIDY BOOTHROYD
2006–07
Sunderland – ROY KEANE Birmingham City – STEVE BRUCE Derby County – BILLY DAVIES
2007–08
West Bromwich Albion – TONY MOWBRAY Stoke City – TONY PULIS Hull City – PHIL BROWN
2008–09
Wolverhampton Wanderers – MICK McCARTHY Birmingham City – ALEX McLEISH Burnley – OWEN COYLE
2009–10
Newcastle United – CHRIS HUGHTON West Bromwich Albion – ROBERTO DI MATTEO Blackpool – IAN HOLLOWAY
2010–11
Queens Park Rangers – NEIL WARNOCK Norwich City – PAUL LAMBERT Swansea City – BRENDAN ROGERS
2011–12
Reading – BRIAN McDERMOTT Southampton – NIGEL ADKINS West Ham United – SAM ALLARDYCE
2012–13
Cardiff City – MALKY MACKAY Hull City – STEVE BRUCE Crystal Palace – IAN HOLLOWAY
2013–14
Leicester City – NIGEL PEARSON Burnley – SEAN DYCHE Queens Park Rangers – HARRY REDKNAPP

In the last 10 seasons, 30 teams have been promoted from the championship. Roughly 1/6 managers in this time have been foreign however approximately 1/20 of them have managed to take a team out of the league to the promised land. You would think that the foreign managers would rank highly in this list as the majority of Premier league managers are foreign; however the Championship is a very different league, evidently. It seems to me that experience and knowledge is at the backbone of all of these promotions. Take Holloway for example, beating us over 2 legs with Palarse and winning the final against Watford… we beat them 3-0 during the season but he still managed to guide the scum to the Premier League. Furthermore, the only foreign manager, Roberto Di Matteo, to be promoted (West Brom 09/10) maybe proves just how unlikely it is for a foreign manager to secure this feat. He has since won a Champions League trophy and was very successful at Chelsea. So the answer to me seems that we need an experienced British manager? Unless Bloom can find the next Champions League Winner? I would also like to note that these teams we see above are predominately made up of British players. The majority have the same characteristics, a bullish goalscorer, and British may I add (Ings, Bellamy, Nugent, Murray, Lambert and many more). And also lots of strong, passionate British players and less of the foreign flair. I know I sound like UKIP’s take on how football teams should be run but in this case I think reverting to traditional values may be the way forward. Therefore, who do we want as manager? Malky Mackay or Steve Coppell seem a positive appointment to me, or more controversially Nigel Farage may do the job?

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Promoted Teams
2004–05
Sunderland – MICK McCARTHY Wigan Athletic – PAUL JEWELL West Ham United – ALAN PARDEW
2005–06
Reading – STEVE COPPELL Sheffield United – NEIL WARNOCK Watford – AIDY BOOTHROYD
2006–07
Sunderland – ROY KEANE Birmingham City – STEVE BRUCE Derby County – BILLY DAVIES
2007–08
West Bromwich Albion – TONY MOWBRAY Stoke City – TONY PULIS Hull City – PHIL BROWN
2008–09
Wolverhampton Wanderers – MICK McCARTHY Birmingham City – ALEX McLEISH Burnley – OWEN COYLE
2009–10
Newcastle United – CHRIS HUGHTON West Bromwich Albion – ROBERTO DI MATTEO Blackpool – IAN HOLLOWAY
2010–11
Queens Park Rangers – NEIL WARNOCK Norwich City – PAUL LAMBERT Swansea City – BRENDAN ROGERS
2011–12
Reading – BRIAN McDERMOTT Southampton – NIGEL ADKINS West Ham United – SAM ALLARDYCE
2012–13
Cardiff City – MALKY MACKAY Hull City – STEVE BRUCE Crystal Palace – IAN HOLLOWAY
2013–14
Leicester City – NIGEL PEARSON Burnley – SEAN DYCHE Queens Park Rangers – HARRY REDKNAPP
You sir have just saved me a bit of time. I was started this list of last night but only got as far as 2012!!

Sami will be gone soon, he has to be, it's clear he is way out of his depth, and when the new man comes in I would prefer an experienced British manager, but so long as he has in depth knowledge of the championship, I couldn't give a flying rats arse if he is British, African or Alien, so long as he has experience at this level, he'll do for me.

Steve Clark, Chris Hughton, Tony Pulis or even Eddie Howe would do for me. So long as he plays to the strikers strengths, he'll have my support.

Just cou;ldn't handle another inexperienced foreign manager with no knowledge of the championship. Is that too much to ask?

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Really surprised Brian Mcdermott isn't one of the poll options, can he be added? Would def be a realistic option.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
The list just reinforces the difficulty of the task. I can see TB going for another 'high risk' candidate.

Pity McCarthy has got a job.

Per [MENTION=29713]Lurchy[/MENTION] and McDermott comment ... he might be my choice of the realistic ones

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Kevin Keegan, please.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
After another poor burnley result I've gone for dyche. I personally believe burnley would be bonkers if they part company but when has that stopped a board from sacking a good manager.....

Failing that I'd go for Hoddle

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
Brian McDermott, he has my backing but there's plenty of goodun's in the mix.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
"Ashen-faced" Ron Knee has retired, I suspect, so if a change is to be made, how about a player manager in the rock star mould ?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here