Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton For Ireland Manager ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
'Lower-division journeyman'?? He hasn't played below Championship level since 2004 and made 141 Premier League appearances for Fulham, Reading, Hull and Albion.

Fair enough. "Done the round with a few lesser clubs" then.

Shouldn't prove to be much of a barrier though hopefully, if he's got what it takes. He wouldn't be the first successful coach not to have had a particularly gilded playing career.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not happening according to the radio 5 cognoscenti. Ireland couldn't afford him. And why would he chuck up a job in the best league in the world to take a massive pay cut to manage a load of no-marks with whom he has only tenuous links. This one seems as likely as Rees Mogg riding triumphant into Parliament Square on the back of Shergar, with Theresa May's head on the end of a long pointed stick.

D

Deleted member 2719

Not happening according to the radio 5 cognoscenti. Ireland couldn't afford him. And why would he chuck up a job in the best league in the world to take a massive pay cut to manage a load of no-marks with whom he has only tenuous links. This one seems as likely as Rees Mogg riding triumphant into Parliament Square on the back of Shergar, with Theresa May's head on the end of a long pointed stick.

You had better believe it, saw Shergar yesterday in Lidls. :timmy:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'd have thought we're a bigger job with better long term prospects and better chance to win a trophy.

Plus expect he can get the Ireland job in the future, but a PL job is going to be tough unless it's a club already in relegation trouble.

We also have more chance than Ireland of qualifying for the Euros.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hughton is reputed to be on about £525K before he signed his recent extension - Martin O'Neill was paid £2million a year - even Roy Keane was on £600K

But Hughton has never struck me as being motivated by money - he seems to be more motivated by the opportunities he is presented with.

Like I said - if he wants the Irish job then it is his - and I would expect the FAI will at least make a phone call. I suspect that he will stay where he is, but do expect him to leave for the Ireland job at some point if it doesn't happen now.

I hadn't read that before I added my 'ap'p'orth.

He's gone, isn't he.

On the bright side.....(I'll say no more).

:rolleyes:

EdiT: 40K a week is 2 mill. We have at least 5 players on that. And the manager on a quarter of that??? No chance. No chance at all. I retract my comments above. He's going nowhere. Nowhere you hear! Fact.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Latest from the BBC

McCarthy and Kenny among possible contenders

Former Republic manager Mick McCarthy is already being linked with the job and, perhaps significantly, is available following his departure from Ipswich Town in April.

McCarthy guided the Irish to the 2002 World Cup finals and despite his infamous bust-up with Roy Keane on the eve of that tournament, remains highly regarded by the FAI.

Even before O'Neill's departure, there were voices in the Irish media saying that Dundalk manager Stephen Kenny should be next in line following his successes with the League of Ireland champions.

Kenny guided Dundalk to the domestic double this year and his side have won the league title in four of his five seasons in charge.

Brighton boss Chris Hughton, who won 53 caps during his Republic career, is also high in the betting but the FAI could face a difficult task in prising him away from the Premier League club.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This one seems as likely as Rees Mogg riding triumphant into Parliament Square on the back of Shergar, with Theresa May's head on the end of a long pointed stick.

So long as he then got teabagged by He Man and sent off to live in darkest Syria as a punishment for treason (and nicking Shergar) I'd probably pay to see that.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He doesn't need the money and the chance to manage your country doesn't come around too often.
He's not being offered the England job.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So long as he then got teabagged by He Man and sent off to live in darkest Syria as a punishment for treason (and nicking Shergar) I'd probably pay to see that.

:drool::bowdown::lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Not sure what you're scared of - we've just bought £50million of attacking talent and Hughton is teaching them to defend or how to sit on a bench . We havent shored up the midfield and stand little chance of many points between now and Christmas . This is the perfect way out for everyone - time for a change i say

3587099bb75f8b60320c1d22b9e9f6cd.jpg

Jimmy Come Lately

Registered Loser
Oct 27, 2011
Hove
I'll not lose a wink of sleep over this. There is literally more chance of me hanging out the back of Meghan Markle this Sunday lunchtime than there is of Chris Hughton taking the Ireland job.

Chris is 40-1 according to the bookie quoted earler. You could be in for a memorable weekend.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
He would be nuts to take that job now especially with John Delaney still at the helm at their FA. They have one of the worst squads they have had for years and little coming through as far as youth.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
He would be nuts to take that job now especially with John Delaney still at the helm at their FA. They have one of the worst squads they have had for years and little coming through as far as youth.

:ohmy:

The best striker in their history will soon be smashing the ball in the back of the net. punish:

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015

Good point about Delaney.

The Irish squad is better than people think - and there are a few players potentially coming through.

Matt Doherty made an interesting comment today - saying 'some of O'Neill's decisions were bizarre'

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
"Chris, you had a great time playing for the Republic of Ireland, the manager's job is available at the moment, is it something you'd be interesed in?"

"No. What I am very interested in is the job that I am doing here. I have got a group of players that have worked very hard to get into this division and that is where all my thoughts and concentrations are."

https://www.skysports.com/football/...ton-not-interested-in-republic-of-ireland-job

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Whar happened to the 'Houghton for Ireland' thread

He says he's not interested, according to R5.

Edit: thanks for merging.

Attachments

• Spooky.PNG
    Spooky.PNG
    50.2 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
"Chris, you had a great time playing for the Republic of Ireland, the manager's job is available at the moment, is it something you'd be interesed in?"

"No. What I am very interested in is the job that I am doing here. I have got a group of players that have worked very hard to get into this division and that is where all my thoughts and concentrations are."

https://www.skysports.com/football/...ton-not-interested-in-republic-of-ireland-job

That’s it then - he’s going to take it :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here