Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Bands who were ridiculed for being unoriginal or shite, but years later sound brilliant

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The Unoriginal part of this thread? As very much a blues cover band and heavily influenced by the blues on the early singles

Not sure they were ridiculed.

That said, Jagger is, and always was, a ****ing ****. :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Long gone are they days when the smart young things bought Sounds and, later, NME, for the latest advice on what was de rigeur. Long gone are Jules and Tone. These days we go our own way, turn up at obscure gigs and find a room full of likeminded happy people. Things are better now. :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-MyZTXPujw

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

Afraid so. Saw them at the Hammersmith Odeon, way off the top of the bill, singing their embarrassingly reedy Come On debut release to an unappreciative audience mainly there to see a clutch of big American rock n rollers. It didn't really help that Come On was a Chuck Berry original.

Fortunately they didn't get the career-ending ridicule suffered by the Swinging Blue Jeans in a similar situation, but it was pretty bad.

(The 'later sound brilliant' bit of the thread title is summed up for me by a mate, later my best man, who rolled his Ford Zodiac in a country lane near Lindfield late at night, crawled out of the wreckage, heard Let's Spend the Night Together come on the radio, crawled back in, turned the volume to full and departed on foot in the direction of Haywards Heath. You could still hear it a whole field away apparently.)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Unoriginal part of this thread? As very much a blues cover band and heavily influenced by the blues on the early singles

Fair enough, but as someone else pointed out they were not, in the main, ridiculed. Also, back then, covers were a part of many bands early days.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Pearl Jam. I thought they were just showboating hair-rockers at first. Didn’t take me long to appreciate them once Vs came out and now, 24 years later they have long been an absolutely superb troup of musicians with a startling back catalogue and are in the top three live bands of the last 25 years and probably my favourite band of all time.

Although popular they did have a fair bit of criticism when Ten came out and were unfairly and unfavourably compared to Nirvana, who were given more respect. But PJ have gone on to get better and better, have interesting collaborations and side projects. They continue to be amazing.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Talk Talk.

Initially written off as being Duran Duran wannabes but evolved into a majestic band who did their own thing by the time they released Spirit of Eden were a world apart.

True. But my group of mates were awkward, hating Duran Duran from day one (boring Brummies cashing in on music for they were very late to that party, commercial tripe). Liking TalkTalk to an extent ... It’s A Shame extended play, etc.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Absolutely slated for being former Slik **** and rich chums, the singer went on to do rather well. This is a fabulous single.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ_XarV6-aY

Hang on, no....some people don't know when to quit. Pub singer? Oh banny doye???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLD_Orjrq4Q

Christ, if anyone invites me to step up and do my Howard Devoto impression anytime party soon, FFS shoot me in the fekkin head. :O

I was at that gig, it was a double bill with the Professionals.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That first blur album wasn’t exactly original.......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here