Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Bill Of Rights for the homeless in Brighton!!

Oct 25, 2003
Watched a programme a few months back. One homeless chap moaning about the number of foreign homeless people who make it harder for them to get shelter, and I agree. If someone comes to this country looking for work and unfortunately ends up on the streets it makes the whole situation worse.

Rough sleeping should (and does) lead to deportation as, by its very nature, violates our immigration policy.

What I will say is that, in my experience, rough sleepers from outside the UK are about 10,000 times more self reliant than those from the UK and often work ridiculous amounts of hours (usually illegally- you’d be amazed at how many fancy restaurants have illegal staff) and usually have **** all access and housing anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/171...ll-of-rights-for-homeless-people-in-brighton/

Why not print some glossy leaflets to hand out to the homeless everywhere in the country to attract even more homeless people to Brighton!!
That utter dick Lloyd Russell-Moyle loving nothing better than jumping on some cause to make himself look even more ‘right on’!
He and his moral high horse brigade jumping onto a cause that will put more financial burden on the local council...that he in turn bitches and moans hasn’t got enough money as it is.....but he will no doubt then make it out to be nobody but the Government’s fault there’s not enough money!

You'll be disappointed with that post. If you're not, you really should be.

I'm not sure you have even worked out what you're on about.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Or you could just answer my question.

Edit: Didn't mean to sound so confrontational. Just curious as I've never been one for patriotism or this idea that we were ever "Great".

Dont be daft, I did not see any confrontation in any of your comments, and in some way that is exactly what I am talking about. People are just to scared to do anything or say anything these days.

No one rally gives a f*ck any more.

I think you are 33 YO, from the time I was 33 to now the country has gone PC mad with all the snowflakes that are around and they are ruining this country.

I am so glad I am at my age, and not growing up now.

I pity my kids and what their country will be like in 25 years time.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Dont be daft, I did not see any confrontation in any of your comments, and in some way that is exactly what I am talking about. People are just to scared to do anything or say anything these days.

No one rally gives a f*ck any more.

I think you are 33 YO, from the time I was 33 to now the country has gone PC mad with all the snowflakes that are around and they are ruining this country.

I am so glad I am at my age, and not growing up now.

I pity my kids and what their country will be like in 25 years time.

How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

I'm indeed 33. I definitely agree there are some aspects of modern life that I'm not fully on board with. To name a couple: this wave of gender fluidity honestly confuses the hell out of me and some of the music being consumed by young men and women (pre-teens) makes me blush but, on the whole, I think we live in a more tolerant and accepting society than the decade I was born in and I'm pleased for that. I'm especially pleased for people in minorities that feel they're able to live the life they've always wanted to live but had been scared to prior to now.

If I have kids I'm quite excited to see how the world turns out for them. Except for Brexit. Which they have their grand-parents to thank for.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008

If I have kids I'm quite excited to see how the world turns out for them. Except for Brexit. Which they have their grand-parents to thank for.

I am 55.

Interested in your post until the crap in the last sentence.

All these young people today blaming the older generation for the state of their country FFS, drives me mad.

All they do is winge wine and moan about how bad the country will be post Brexit, what !!!!! have they a crystal ball can they see the future, how the crap do they know what the country will be like, they cant, so stop f*cking blaming everyone else and do what the rest of us are doing wait and see.

Makes my blood boil.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
I am 55.

All these young people today blaming the older generation for the state of their country FFS, drives me mad.

All they do is winge wine and moan about how bad the country will be post Brexit, what !!!!! have they a crystal ball can they see the future, how the crap do they know what the country will be like, they cant, so stop f*cking blaming everyone else and do what the rest of us are doing wait and see.

Makes my blood boil.
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2018/oct/25/millennials-may-lose-up-to-108k-over-30-years-with-no-deal-brexit

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/06/27/how-britain-voted/

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008

Until we leave its all hypothetical, no one knows just how the Country will fare, the one great thing though is we can make our own decisions and carve our own future.

And yes older people did vote to leave more than the younger, does not mean they have ruined their future, who knows, you never know they may have made it better.

At the end of the day, the majority of the Country voted to leave, in our democracy we should then leave. (Although leaving Scotland in it would not be a problem):D

Hang on a minute though, I didn't get my own way, so we need a 2nd referendum !!! WTF

So when the general election's votes are counted and there is an even closer split in the vote I.e. 20 or 30 seats, meaning sometimes 0.25% difference do they say lets hold another vote as this is so close and although you won, it was to close so we need to do it again. Errr NO X won by 0.25% so that means they had more votes so they win. END OF.

We are Britain !! (Although we are a weaker Britain with all the snowflakes around)

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I am 55.

Makes my blood boil.

I'm not blaming anyone. My parents, and everyone else, have their right to their views and opinions and to express those views and opinions at the ballot.

However, if Brexit turns out to be a shitshow that negatively affects my childrens generation then I shall happily say to them: "Nan and Granddad voted for this. Maybe ask them for a bit more money in your Christmas cards this year".

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

I'm indeed 33. I definitely agree there are some aspects of modern life that I'm not fully on board with. To name a couple: this wave of gender fluidity honestly confuses the hell out of me and some of the music being consumed by young men and women (pre-teens) makes me blush but, on the whole, I think we live in a more tolerant and accepting society than the decade I was born in and I'm pleased for that. I'm especially pleased for people in minorities that feel they're able to live the life they've always wanted to live but had been scared to prior to now.

Agreed. I can't get with the 'identity politics' thing but I think, mostly, society is genuinely trying to do the right thing.

If folk went back to the days of my childhood they'd want to return straight away.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
I'm not blaming anyone. My parents, and everyone else, have their right to their views and opinions and to express those views and opinions at the ballot.

However, if Brexit turns out to be a shitshow that negatively affects my childrens generation then I shall happily say to them: "Nan and Granddad voted for this. Maybe ask them for a bit more money in your Christmas cards this year".

If it turns out to be a shower of sh1t, then I will kick myself in the b0llocks too.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Agreed. I can't get with the 'identity politics' thing but I think, mostly, society is genuinely trying to do the right thing.

If folk went back to the days of my childhood they'd want to return straight away.

Obviously don't know your age, but I can tell you one thing, the Country was 100 times safer than it is today, when I was younger.

You cant even look at someone now in fear that they might stab you, what sort of place is that to live.

Bring back Action man I say. And toy soldiers.

When Bin men were MEN !!!:D

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I understand the motive, but the idea of a "right" to a house I find a bit odd. Sure, we want everyone to have housing, but is it really a "right"?

The way I have always looked at rights is that you have a right to things which you inherently possess, and which cannot be taken away from you. I.e. you have a right to your life, you have a right to your liberty and you have a right to your property. You have a right to things which you you inherently possess, but you don't have a right to things which someone else will have to give to you.

Don't mistake what I am saying for not wanting homeless people to have a home, it's just that we shouldn't confuse what rights really are or we are in danger of diminishing our understanding of what rights are and their value. A right is something absolute, and not to be taken lightly. Saying that the homeless now have a "right" to a home is nice, but it doesn't get them a home. What it does do is make rights something which are relative and flakey. All that does in the long run is weaken what it means to have a right, and that makes the things we do actually have a right to more vulnerable.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
If it turns out to be a shower of sh1t, then I will kick myself in the b0llocks too.

Honestly, I wouldn't want that. And I don't think I'd attempt to turn my kids against their grand-parents.

The whole thing was an utter fiasco on both sides of the divide. Whatever happens, good or bad, the result has to be that we come together and make the best of it. What else can we do?

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Until we leave its all hypothetical, no one knows just how the Country will fare, the one great thing though is we can make our own decisions and carve our own future.

And yes older people did vote to leave more than the younger, does not mean they have ruined their future, who knows, you never know they may have made it better.

At the end of the day, the majority of the Country voted to leave, in our democracy we should then leave. (Although leaving Scotland in it would not be a problem):D

Hang on a minute though, I didn't get my own way, so we need a 2nd referendum !!! WTF

So when the general election's votes are counted and there is an even closer split in the vote I.e. 20 or 30 seats, meaning sometimes 0.25% difference do they say lets hold another vote as this is so close and although you won, it was to close so we need to do it again. Errr NO X won by 0.25% so that means they had more votes so they win. END OF.

We are Britain !! (Although we are a weaker Britain with all the snowflakes around)
When a former leader and Prime Minister, a Tory, is spelling things out as explicitly as this, when countless financial experts and economists are being so pessimistic, it's not simply hypothetical. These are experts warning of the very likely reality for young people.
And when young people exist in this environment, when older people seem so utterly dislocated from this reality, so lacking in care for others, the environment, the people of the world, even the future of their own bloody relatives, isn't it easy to see why they're so disillusioned and so utterly ****ed off with their elders?

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Whatever happens, good or bad, the result has to be that we come together and make the best of it. What else can we do?

This is have to agree with, I am such a positive person that I just cant see doom and gloom until it is here.

I always drink from a glass half full. Life is to short to be another way.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
When a former leader and Prime Minister, a Tory, is spelling things out as explicitly as this, when countless financial experts and economists are being so pessimistic, it's not simply hypothetical. These are experts warning of the very likely reality for young people.
And when young people exist in this environment, when older people seem so utterly dislocated from this reality, so lacking in care for others, the environment, the people of the world, even the future of their own bloody relatives, isn't it easy to see why they're so disillusioned and so utterly ****ed off with their elders?

No one knows what the future brings, it may be bad for a while it may be good for a while, who knows. They can speculate all they want.

I guessing you voted remain.

I am such a positive person that I just cant see doom and gloom until it is here.

I always drink from a glass half full.

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
You'll be disappointed with that post. If you're not, you really should be.

I'm not sure you have even worked out what you're on about.

I'm not and no I won't!

And I'm quite clear in what I think and no amount of whinging from the bleeding heart brigade will make me suddenly change my opinion because you think your moral high horse is in some way superior!

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
The bill includes giving homeless people the same rights as most other citizens including the right to housing, shelter, sanitary facilities, emergency services and the right to vote and have data protection.

Good.

There isn't enough housing now to cope with the housing problem the City already has....we've pretty much run out of space to build any new housing......and council tax has disgracefully been increased by maximum amount permitted at every possible occasion and there's still not enough money!
So please explain how this scheme will be able to ensure any homeless person who turns up to the City will have their 'rights' exercised...as per the Bill.... to be housed?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here