Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Safe Standing Petition

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Now we will see how much MPs care about this matter, as one man and his dog debate the issue... actually scrap the dog as David Blunkett is no longer an MP.

There will be about 30 MPs in the room. Most will be looking at fingernails or their phones with no interest in the topic..

Wait and see.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
There will be about 30 MPs in the room. Most will be looking at fingernails or their phones with no interest in the topic..

Wait and see.

Unfortunately this is correct..
They will also roll the clock back 30 years and mention Hillsborough, crowd control issues, public safety and hooliganism.
All subjects that actually have nothing to do with safe standing.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Dont know if this has been mentioned, but Shrewsbury in the play off final on Sunday, and 3 years safe standing being trialled from next season, even if they go up to the Championship. Cost was 60k and funded by the crowd, would be great to see it work. They can be my Midlands team

goldstoneseagull

Aug 9, 2017
Briefing Paper has been produced researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN03937/SN03937.pdf (it's a download, not a webpage)

With mention of an FSF FL survey which might inform them better than the petition itself, https://goodform.researchfeedback.net/wh/s.asp?k=152464904563

Thanks for posting,

That briefing paper is frustrating to read, the statistics are quoted saying that fans are overwhelmingly in favour.

However, it makes no mention of the rationale behind why fans are overwhelmingly in favour: existing standing in seated areas in away ends and certain home ends- which has in the past led to frustration toward stewards.

Potential inability of those who want to sit to attend away games.

Nor does it make any mention of the German model which has been successful for years.

In addition, the West Brom application rejection is mentioned- but no real mention of the grounds on which it was rejected- simply states Crouch made the decision on the basis the DCMS has no plans to change the current arrangement.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Thanks for posting,

That briefing paper is frustrating to read, the statistics are quoted saying that fans are overwhelmingly in favour.

However, it makes no mention of the rationale behind why fans are overwhelmingly in favour: existing standing in seated areas in away ends and certain home ends- which has in the past led to frustration toward stewards.

Potential inability of those who want to sit to attend away games.

Nor does it make any mention of the German model which has been successful for years.

In addition, the West Brom application rejection is mentioned- but no real mention of the grounds on which it was rejected- simply states Crouch made the decision on the basis the DCMS has no plans to change the current arrangement.

I am sure there is a dialogue to be had around safe standing, but really most fans are not overwhelmingly in favour. Just a noisy minority, and everyone knows it. It's that sort of rhetoric which is blocking a reasoned discussion. It's the same noisy minority that stops those who want to sit at away games which is why they don't have the unequivocal support of the rest of the fan base. It feels like giving in to the standers who spoil it for other fans.

The debate will continue to run but I don't see the authorities giving ground to fully open the debate until the standers show they can respect the existing rules and guidelines rather than blatantly flouting them.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I am sure there is a dialogue to be had around safe standing, but really most fans are not overwhelmingly in favour. Just a noisy minority, and everyone knows it. It's that sort of rhetoric which is blocking a reasoned discussion. It's the same noisy minority that stops those who want to sit at away games which is why they don't have the unequivocal support of the rest of the fan base. It feels like giving in to the standers who spoil it for other fans.

The debate will continue to run but I don't see the authorities giving ground to fully open the debate until the standers show they can respect the existing rules and guidelines rather than blatantly flouting them.

Clearly biased and tragically petty nonsense. It may be a minority who want to stand, a sizeable one, but it is not a minority who support it. You, i'm afraid, sound like you are in the minority that doesn't.

You speculate that it won't be considered until those who want to stand (and do so because that is how they enjoy watching the football) no longer do so, or perhaps stop going entirely? In other words, never.

I blatantly flout the 'rules' as you suggest because I utterly reject them, their very existence is based on a fallacy.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Clearly biased and tragically petty nonsense. It may be a minority who want to stand, a sizeable one, but it is not a minority who support it. You, i'm afraid, sound like you are in the minority that doesn't.

You speculate that it won't be considered until those who want to stand (and do so because that is how they enjoy watching the football) no longer do so, or perhaps stop going entirely? In other words, never.

I blatantly flout the 'rules' as you suggest because I utterly reject them, their very existence is based on a fallacy.

I was disappointed with the numbers of fans that signed the petition , not sure if that's because they couldn't be bothered, are against it or just did not know about it or that they feel they don't want to vote in case something bad might happen in the future. I signed it because it is safer than current position i.e. standing in a seated area and because it does create a better environment for singing/chanting. I personally would not do it at AMEX for league games as it would mean losing my excellent view from WSU but do stand away and possibly would do it for cup games. What really needs to happen is for the FA to be involved and the buy in from the clubs otherwise this is going nowhere.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I was disappointed with the numbers of fans that signed the petition , not sure if that's because they couldn't be bothered, are against it or just did not know about it or that they feel they don't want to vote in case something bad might happen in the future. I signed it because it is safer than current position i.e. standing in a seated area and because it does create a better environment for singing/chanting. I personally would not do it at AMEX for league games as it would mean losing my excellent view from WSU but do stand away and possibly would do it for cup games. What really needs to happen is for the FA to be involved and the buy in from the clubs otherwise this is going nowhere.

Probably a combination of a few reasons why people didn't sign, some I spoke to hadn't even seen the email, others with the attitude of 'we already stand so what's the point'.

We do however, as a fanbase, appear to have a smaller minority wanting to stand than many other clubs which is a shame. That much is clear from the government petition heat map. I initially thought it must be because of how affluent the area is and that perhaps we have more 'middle class sit on yer hands' fans than most, but even a club like Norwich had far and away more fans supporting it than we did.

With some of the absolutely absurd opinions against on this forum, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Safe standing will come of that there is no doubt, and perhaps when we see the impact it has on the atmosphere at other clubs we'll finally implement it as one of the last to do so, having been one of the first to suggest it.

Last edited:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/alb...oint__Standing_up_for_those_that_want_to_sit/

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven

That’s rubbish, bring back the old terracing so we can surge again. Just stick a cigarette style warning sign about risk to safety above the turnstile entrance. Although I do appreciate it’s not as dangerous as smoking, driving, crossing the road, accidents with ones lawnmower and choking on grapes.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Very interesting read thank you. Seems to me there are two separate debates. Should we have a safe standing option for both sets of fans and how to accommodate people like me who would prefer to sit at away games and choose not to go because the option isn't available. Hopefully broadening the debate will help everybody be able to choose how they watch their team at some time in the future.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here