Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barcelona: Van hits crowds on Ramblas tourist area

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Your post is interesting.

It's also interesting that you are of the opinion that people are turned to radical Islamic ideas and the desire to kill because of contemporary western liberalism.

Its also said that contemporary western liberalism has led to the situation where Trump is elected in the US and our of own Brexit vote.

Noted, I don't won't to over egg the radicalisation pudding, there are other moving parts like Iraq, however the journey of the UK from a conservative (small c) country to a much more liberal one is undeniable, and that poses challenges.

There is much merit in the journey, that too is undeniable however those marginalised by will react in different ways.

I would agree the Brexit vote was a reaction, but it was within the construct of our democracy (whether you agree with it or not).

Islamic radicalisation is just another consequence, and whilst politicians may never of foreseen this reaction from a cohort of the Muslim population, the warning signs were flashing way back in in 87 with the salman Rushdie affair.

Like many at the time I was struck by the anger and public burning of the books...we know who used to do that a few decades don't we?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
So we didn't persecute homosexuals until 30odd years ago? Certainly the many muslims I work with in Hounslow and Crawley doesn't find any issues with where western society is going. ...and actually quite a few of them would regard themselves as very orthodox "good"muslims.

As a society, yes we did but that Christian inspired persecution was defeated and those views marginalized. We don't have that type of mainstream anymore and these freedoms need to be defended or we may lose them in trying to appease the views of another era. The argument I am making is for no compromise with social conservatism as I fear that this will be the option chosen by politicians as their way of being inclusive to religion, particularly as demographics change. Regardless of your personal experience I don't think there is much doubt that the social views of Islam are somewhat to the right of 21st century British society.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
As a society, yes we did but that Christian inspired persecution was defeated and those views marginalized. We don't have that type of mainstream anymore and these freedoms need to be defended or we may lose them in trying to appease the views of another era. The argument I am making is for no compromise with social conservatism as I fear that this will be the option chosen by politicians as their way of being inclusive to religion, particularly as demographics change. Regardless of your personal experience I don't think there is much doubt that the social views of Islam are somewhat to the right of 21st century British society.

I respect your opinion however I am not sure it is as black and white as it may appear to some.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Terrible scenes and all too familiar.

Assumed there was an automated feature where any mention of Islam or Muslims redirects threads here. It used to happen with immigration threads then Brexit happened.
Or any thread the leftie mods dont want to take hold on the main board. Move it and it hardly gets read. For example the recent quitting of the Labour MP champion. That should read sacked by the way.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
They always will be moved as soon as the moderator Hans Kraay something or other gets involved. He doesn't like losing...is frequently unpleasant to opposing views and well....just doesn't care for reality if it doesn't suit his agenda.

Spot on. Very offensive and if he wasn't a mod would've been banned several times.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The only thing that riles me is that you carry on your merry way oblivious to the fact you come across as a total tool. All. The. Time.

To be fair [MENTION=5101]BigGully[/MENTION] mind-bending psychedelic mathematics are highly entertaining :lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
your tedious pomposity might be vaguely amusing if only you didn't have a command of the English language well beneath the level you think you have. Your spelling is dreadful.

:lolol:

He might take "umbridge" at this post

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Or any thread the leftie mods dont want to take hold on the main board. Move it and it hardly gets read. For example the recent quitting of the Labour MP champion. That should read sacked by the way.

I bet they lock the other mods in a cupboard while singing the Red flag :wink:

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

For the record I have a lot of time for the old labour anti EU policies supported by Corbyn, however his action towards Rotherham MP Sarah Champion beggars belief.

The victims of this epidemic of industrial scale sexual exploitation by groups of Muslim men (and associated migrants) are predominantly vulnerable white working class children.

His action in this regard franks the belief of the white working class that Labour do not have any regard to their own interests. This is a major own goal.

Had the victims of this abuse been from Roedean or Cheltenham Ladies College this problem would have been dealt with more effectively than now........that is all we need to know about (sadly) the way the Labour Party operates today.

Absolutely tragic.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

"leftie mods" by Christ have a listen to yourself. Man up and stop reading the daily mail, there's a real world out there.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
"leftie mods" by Christ have a listen to yourself. Man up and stop reading the daily mail, there's a real world out there.

The only mail I read is what the postman brings. So manning up would show me a real world. I can see a world but not the one you see. I don't agree with you. You don't agree with me. Live and let live.

Jan 30, 2008
But there is a fatal flaw in giraffe's argument. He suggests deporting extremists...but deport them to where? I keep coming back to the 7/7 murderers....they are/ were British...not arabs or middle eastern terrorists.

Both lee Rigby's killers were British born...where would you deport them to?

This is why this situation is impossible to manage and to bring in legislation to bring in internment is not. It didn't work with the IRA although of course with the IRA there was a goal they had which could be negotiated against..i.e. The unification of Ireland, but they realised after an armed struggle they were not going to get it by blowing people up...instead they talked and negotiated and ended up with a power sharing agreement. Unfortunately, the is no common ground with ISIL/ AL Queda to negotiate.
straight to the gallows, job done ! no place for these scum ,even in Prison
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here