Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2018

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I quite liked Apocalypto

So did I.

I watched it soon after returning from Mexico where we visited the ancient Mayan pyramid at Chichen Itza, so it was good to see a movie interpretation of the Mayans following on from having just been there there. Good movie (with the usual uncompromising gore and brutality thrown in for good measure).

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Hacksaw Ridge scored 86% on Rotten Tomatoes, so the critics liked it (it scored 91% on audience reviews). It received 6 Oscar nominations and 3 Golden Globe nominations - Garfield winning Best Actor. So you're most certainly in a small minority with your opinion.

I know. That's why I watched it. Because it garnered so much praise. That's why I couldn't believe how bad it was. I imagine it was more to do with the amazing real life story than teh actual execution of the film.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I know. That's why I watched it. Because it garnered so much praise. That's why I couldn't believe how bad it was. I imagine it was more to do with the amazing real life story than teh actual execution of the film.

I liked it

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
2018 to date

Masterpiece

1. The Shape of Water 98 x 4
2. Three Billboards 93 x 2
3. Ready Player One 92 x 2

Very Good

4. Darkest Hour 89 x 2
5. The Post 83
6. Film stars don't die in Liverpool 82
7. Finding your Feet 82 x 2

Good

8. Phantom Thread 80
9. The Guernsey literary and potato peel society 79 *
10. A Quiet Place 78 - upgraded
11. My Generation 72

Average

Poor

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Guernsey literary and potato peel pie society. Very decent, 79 out of 100. BIG fan of Lily James. Great actress. An interesting story, great ensemble of acting talent, lovely scenery, nice love story. Something you could take your elderly parents to, which I did. I can recommend this one

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The Guernsey literary and potato peel pie society. Very decent, 79 out of 100. BIG fan of Lily James. Great actress. An interesting story, great ensemble of acting talent, lovely scenery, nice love story. Something you could take your elderly parents to, which I did. I can recommend this one

I will seek that out.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Good points there. The battle scenes we so over the top as to be like a parody in tropic thunder. Tried to do a saving private ryan but did not have the sleight of hand or directing skill to be in the same ball park as the omaha beach landings. Also the cliff in reality was 50 feet not 200 feet but I still really liked the story and Garfield was excellent. Gibson's tour de force is and always will be the passion of the christ, that is a very good film

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Only just saw Ready Player One. Absolutely loved every second of it!

Fabulous film but I am biased of course. Happy though I saw a new Spielberg " popcorn " movie. The bloke has gone out of his way to make weighty dramas which he has done very well. He had nothing " to prove " after Schindler's List for me.

It is old school Spielberg for me, back to what he does very well.

Pleased to see it will make in excess of $ 600 000 000 at the box office as he deserves it and his box office has been tailing off the last decade.

The Chinese have gone absolutely bonkers for it. He will always be in a different league to anyone else for me

Last edited:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Having heard interviews, seen the cast and some soundtrack stuff (Richard Hawley) this movie around an aspiring female comedian in seedy 70s clubs sounds right up my street.

View attachment 96120

Next week.......

Saw this last night. Both funny and dark, uncomfortable watch at times but I was gripped for the 90 minutes. Well worth seeing.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

Cheers for the review, really fancy this one too.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Avengers Infinity War
I wanted to like it more than I did. Can't explain why I didn't like it more without spoiling it so won't.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Avengers Infinity War
I wanted to like it more than I did. Can't explain why I didn't like it more without spoiling it so won't.

Enjoyed it more on second viewing. The things that bothered me first time are still there, but knowing it in advance allowed me to focus more on the good points. Also, not being tired at a midnight showing for the premiere also helps.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Rampage it scores a 78 out of 100. Decent popcorn movie fun to be had with the Rock. It does exactly what it says on the tin. One of the best fellas around for this type of film. You have to LOVE the Rock. He fills the screen with his good humor charisma wit and charm in every film he does and a decent actor for me. Also has the considerable acting chops of Naomie Harris

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Avengers the infinity war breaks all box office records know to man with a 630 000 000 dollars opening weekend. That is insane

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Assuming it's not spoilertastic, and is actually known, can someone tell the what the sign was that Sam L Jackson called?

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Assuming it's not spoilertastic, and is actually known, can someone tell the what the sign was that Sam L Jackson called?

As it's a tease and not related to the story, I think it's safe to answer - Captain Marvel. Due to be released next March, starring Bree Larson as Carol Danvers, aka Captain Marvel

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As it's a tease and not related to the story, I think it's safe to answer - Captain Marvel. Due to be released next March, starring Bree Larson as Carol Danvers, aka Captain Marvel

Thanks, I see the sign now.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

Good call - saw this with the missus at The Depot - Lewes today.

Lots more elderly than us - laughs/tears in the right places.

Plus nobody left during the end credits :thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here