Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sherlock Holmes

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Used to really enjoy this a few years ago as a bit of light - yet intelligently written and well cast / acted - entertainment with some novel graphics / special effects.

But I really struggle with it now. It tries to be way too clever, the acting is verging on farce and so far as bit of 'feet-up Sunday night telly' it is WAY off the mark. I'm sure it will scoop up loads of awards etc, but I am severely losing my patience with it.
Can't be bothered with it - it lacks any believabilty. Prefer to watch old Star Treks.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Superb last night.

Psychedelic (in keeping with SH 'tripping off his tits'), humorous, witty, clever without being clever-clever. And the constant tipping of the hat to Sir Arhutr Conan-Doyle's originals is excellent.

Surprised at so many having such a low tolerance threshold to such fun.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Can't be bothered with it - it lacks any believabilty. Prefer to watch old Star Treks.

:facepalm:

They're not supposed to be believable. Sherlock Holmes is a fictious character.

If you watch them again having suspended your disbelief, you might appreciate them for the fine pieces of art and entertainment that they're supposed to be.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
For the most part, I thought last night's episode was just totally vacuous. I'd been working and travelling all day, had been so looking forward to it but was really disappointed. It reminded me a bit of the wedding episode where there was a constant sense that, as the viewer, you should have very much been aware that something clever was being achieved by the director, only nothing of staggering significance was actually happening. I was constantly waiting for it to settle down so that there'd be a vague sense of direction and logic, but it sadly never happened. Didn't rate the villain either, incredibly one-dimensional as a character and it was nailed on from the off that he was dodgy. The twist at the end was genuinely quite chilling and I am now looking forward to next week. However, there'd been about 85 minutes of not much prior to that moment. Gosh, how many times do you reckon I've written that last sentence on this board?

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Unpleasant viewing in places and generally trying too hard. Not sure I can be bothered to watch anymore.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
As a kid I read the Conan Doyles cover to cover, over and over.

Really like this new twist, initially uncomfortable with Murder by Decree which exposed a new darkness but as mentioned, it is a fictional character.

Could watch this sort of stuff ad infinitum, but thoroughly enjoyed last night.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
:facepalm:

They're not supposed to be believable. Sherlock Holmes is a fictious character.

If you watch them again having suspended your disbelief, you might appreciate them for the fine pieces of art and entertainment that they're supposed to be.

No I won't appreciate them because, in my opinion, they're pretentious ' up yer arse' bollox, like a visual Radiohead. But my reference to watching Star Trek in the context of believability was a joke:smile:

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Watched in on catch up last night I for one thought it was really good I think it's a cleaver update based on the classic

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
I like it and thought the similarities in concept between the serial killer and Jimmy Saville were quite subtly there for all to deduce.

A bit psycho now though isn't it...

TNBA

TF

Not sure how 'subtle' it was given the 'hiding in plain sight' theme, the fact that he masked his evil nature through public displays of charity, the references to being friends wit all sorts of famous people, the fact he paid for a hospital, the suggestion that he manipulated this to fulfil his own evil fantasies, Toby Jones' northern accent etc. Though I agree, it was nevertheless very well done.

Enjoyed this one so much more than the first - mainly because it had s central mystery/case and wasn't just a lot of plot stuck together to service character and overarching narrative. Could take or leave the druggy sequences - can veer far too close to 'it was all a dream' for my liking, whilst the memory of 'the abominable bride' ('Victorian' episode) still lingers fresh. Does allow for the camera/editing trickery that the series loves so much, though, which was at times impressive.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Sorry but that last episode was utter tosh. It was so far away from the idea of what Sherlock Holmes was/is that it really shouldn't be part of the genre.

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
Sorry but that last episode was utter tosh. It was so far away from the idea of what Sherlock Holmes was/is that it really shouldn't be part of the genre.
I have watched every episode of every series but this series hasn't done it for me. In fact I gave up with about half an hour to go.

I went back to the box set we found on Fox called Someone Knows My Name. Absolutely brilliant. It tells the story of a young African slave girl taken to America and the progress to abolition.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Rather than clever drama and intrigue that was just one big mind f*ck really. Or maybe I'm just tired or the wrong age or something.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here