Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Likely date for re-arranged Cardiff Game

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
While I agree that Valentine's day is a load of nonsense, it predates Clinton Cards by several hundred years. According to Wikipedia, it first became associated with romantic love in the time of Chaucer.

True, but its in their interests to peddle and perpetuate this bunkum.

As an aside, I have absolutely NO IDEA how Clintons are surviving in the High Street these days, now that the Card Factory is on the scene. They're literally half the price of Clintons, often less. Anyone buying cards in Clintons is being mugged right off.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
While I agree that Valentine's day is a load of nonsense, it predates Clinton Cards by several hundred years. According to Wikipedia, it first became associated with romantic love in the time of Chaucer.

So no league games played on valentines day then..... just the FA Cup.........Could be known as the Cup and Chaucer.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Reading v Fulham rearranged for Jan 24th.

Surely albion will confirm that date as well.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Reading v Fulham rearranged for Jan 24th.

Surely albion will confirm that date as well.
But they don't have Southern trains in Reading. ASLEF strike planned that day. With no trains at all, we couldn't host a game.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Yet we could host one on boxing day with no trains to falmer and limited other public transport

Just checked back and there were limited ttrains scheduled when we played on boxing day.

Last edited:

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Yet we could host one on boxing day with no trains to falmer and limited other public transport

Just checked back and there were limited ttrains scheduled when we played on boxing day.
We haven't played at the Amex on Boxing Day.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
We haven't played at the Amex on Boxing Day.

Reading 26 december 2014 was certainly set to go ahead on boxing day.

And from looking back at the records it did go ahead

2 2 draw. Forster caskey and calderon for us. Murray got at least one of theres. 26173 was the attendance

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Reading 26 december 2014 was certainly set to go ahead on boxing day.

And from looking back at the records it did go ahead

2 2 draw. Forster caskey and calderon for us. Murray got at least one of theres. 26173 was the attendance
Fair enough. Murray got both I believe
Pretty sure there were some trains, though, which is the relevant point.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Fair enough. Murray got both I believe
Pretty sure there were some trains, though, which is the relevant point.

And which is also what i added in the edited post after i had checked. Fancy not knowing we had played at the amex on boxing day

The relevant point for me is that you unequivocally stated that no such fixture took place thus calling me a liar

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
And which is also what i added in the edited post after i had checked. Fancy not knowing we had played at the amex on boxing day

The relevant point for me is that you unequivocally stated that no such fixture took place thus calling me a liar
To which I held my hands up! The point is it would be daft to rearrange a game for a date when there are currently no trains scheduled. There would be meltdown on here for a start.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The point is it would be daft to rearrange a game for a date when there are currently no trains scheduled.
I'm not saying you're wrong, but it also feels daft to make a decision based on the train schedule, which will **** us up anyway.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
To which I held my hands up! The point is it would be daft to rearrange a game for a date when there are currently no trains scheduled. There would be meltdown on here for a start.

So what do we do ?

We can't therefore rearrange it for more than 2 weeks in advance as there *might* be a strike called.

Best go large on buses and extra park and ride and get the fixture played before we get to the stage we have to play 3 games in a week.

Newcastle already needs rearranging. Barnsley is at high risk now, and Derby is also a cup weekend. What if Preston is postponed due to weather ?

The fixtures could easily pile up, and looking at the calendar doesn't show many free dates if we need to rearrange 3 or 4.

Last edited:

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I think the priority has to be getting each game played as soon as is possible. Whilst transport needs to be considered if as a club we are aware of the restrictions the extra park and ride sites can be confirmed from the off and possibly the shuttle buses from the seafront and lewes. Not having trains is a pain but can be worked around.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
True, but its in their interests to peddle and perpetuate this bunkum.

As an aside, I have absolutely NO IDEA how Clintons are surviving in the High Street these days, now that the Card Factory is on the scene. They're literally half the price of Clintons, often less. Anyone buying cards in Clintons is being mugged right off.

I often wonder this too. The only people I can imagine still paying £5 for a piece of card are those that don't think 'town' extends past Churchill square.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Best go large on buses and extra park and ride and get the fixture played before we get to the stage we have to play 3 games in a week.
This must be the key point. Yes we'd like it to be nice for our fans, particularly the ones that travel far, but the most important thing has to be making it right for the players. Fixtures could get congested, let's do this already.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Personally, if the season were to be extended a bit to compensate for this sort of thing would it really be a problem ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here