Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What WAS the Name of That Pub? - Brighton Edition

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
No that is The Chequers, which sadly was closed up last time I walked past. Seems crazy that a little,place like that can't keep going in such a busy area of town - see also The Royal Standard. Not sure about The Medusa Bar but always thought it looked like a pub with a silly name - does it still count as a pub?

An ex of mine drank regularly in Medusa as she was living round the corner. I always quite liked the place, never too busy, 'interesting' locals, chilled glasses, nice and airy if the sun was out, comfortable. I always thought of it as a well kept secret. Haven't been in for 5 years or so though.

And yes it does have an entrance on both streets.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
This was a late 90's/ early 00's haunt of mine. Ridiculously cheap drinks/ pool tables / liberal attitude to underage drinking / less fighting than West Street. It was Bierderbecks and latterly the 123 Bar (when IIRC they had some ridiculous £1.23 drink deal.)

10-20 years ahead of my time there, it was pretty much all the opposites of Bierderbecks, it was trying and I fell for it to be a higher end pre club (pre Swifts) 80's wine bar, expensive drinks, pitchers of beer (which was rare back then), Champagne in coolers and builders with a few bob in their pockets, but fun nonetheless ..... it was Clarences !!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The Red Lion was where Egremont Place place meets Queens Park Road. It's a regular in Brighton's most dangerous pub threads, despite the fact it was demolished and turned into flats over 20 years ago.

I assume that the (rather expensive) cafe that's on the corner there, was once a pub in a previous existence. Is that correct? And if so, what was its name?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
What did Bottoms Rest near The Old Market used to be called? Asking as I don't know.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Yeah, that's the one (although I see it's closed down now). That didn't used to be a pub?

I live near to that place. I'm surprised that nobody has made a success of it. Great location next to queens Park and near to Amex. Cafe noor was actually really nice bit perhaps a bit too niche. It sold predominantly Georgian influenced food.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
The Office was The Green Dragon. I don't know where The Foundry is, can't comment on that one
The Foundry used to be the Pedestrian Arms. Its one of the few examples of a senisble renaming as there used to be one of Brighton's biggest foundries where the Post Office building is. They made many of the coalhole covers still around and parts of the West Pier. The other foundry-related pub is the Eagle (what was that called before?) near where another foundry was located.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I like this thread. What was the The Open House called before?
And can anyone tell us why the Horse and Groom on Islingword Road was known locally as The Severed Head?(It's a great story). It's now a community cafe bar called The Village full of Hanover yummy mummies (in the day at least).

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
An ex of mine drank regularly in Medusa as she was living round the corner. I always quite liked the place, never too busy, 'interesting' locals, chilled glasses, nice and airy if the sun was out, comfortable. I always thought of it as a well kept secret. Haven't been in for 5 years or so though.

And yes it does have an entrance on both streets.

Apologies - I got confused between Medusa and the one I was thinking of which was The Grosvenor Bar. That's the one I was asking about to - so what did that used to be called, does it still count as a pub, and is it any good?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
The Foundry used to be the Pedestrian Arms. Its one of the few examples of a senisble renaming as there used to be one of Brighton's biggest foundries where the Post Office building is. They made many of the coalhole covers still around and parts of the West Pier. The other foundry-related pub is the Eagle (what was that called before?) near where another foundry was located.

was always full of posties. I always thought that was why it was called it, as they do a lot of walking.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
I like this thread. What was the The Open House called before?
And can anyone tell us why the Horse and Groom on Islingword Road was known locally as The Severed Head?(It's a great story). It's now a community cafe bar called The Village full of Hanover yummy mummies (in the day at least).

Something to do with 60's gangster capers. I heard it as one of the Richardsons or Krays mob (Mad Frankie?) deposited a head in a bag at the Doom 'n Gloom?

Shame about the Unity down the road closing down. Used to go there for a bit of culture as a sedative after a few too many in the H&G.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here