Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jordan Maguire-Drew

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Under 21 football is a good level of skill but it's not overly competitive so I think sending youngsters out to play non league men's football is a good idea. He will have to get used to playing against big strong defenders and although the standard isn't great at least it’s competitive and the result actually matters to those playing.

You're mistaking Worthing with high level non league, this is Peacehaven, East Grinstead and Three Bridges level, it's hardly more than County League style and level, how can you compare Premier League U21's central defenders as somehow inferior physically to Worthings and if you are its some condemnation of the Premier League Under 21's level and environment and its multi million pound budget.

Thats the point, unless you are adding to the experience of the Cat 1 environment then their is no advantage to the player other than finding playing time because their are no current options within the current system.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Yes. But you went a lot further than that . Saying the club aren't "nurturing" him, were wrong to loan him out, and that he doesn't have a future at the club. ("I would be concerned")
The alternative scenario is perhaps we have only a few games left until the end of the season and the club want to see as much of Harpo, Hambo and Tilley (their existing DS strikers/forwards) as much possible in the u21s given they are now all fit, all bright prospects and older than JMD, and the flexible youth loan for Maguire Drew gives him and the club a chance to better assess his prospects .

I was talking from the players perspective, the club have loaned him out because there are no playing options with our current Under 21's for him, of course that would be concerning for any young professional.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I think you've missed the point. He can play at Worthing AND the U21s. That's the point of a youth loan as Turkey has said.

No you have missed the point, he isnt and hasnt currently played for the Under 21's this season when fit, but many of similar age are, so the loan is likely to be a reflection of this, it cannot be viewed as a prelude to an imminent re-selection of the U21's, that just doesnt make sense.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No you have missed the point, he isnt and hasnt currently played for the Under 21's this season when fit, but many of similar age are, so the loan is likely to be a reflection of this, it cannot be viewed as a prelude to an imminent re-selection of the U21's, that just doesnt make sense.

How many youngsters of a similar age have played for the U21s this season, for comparison?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Er, except he was on the fringes of the DS squad after christmas before he got injured and came on and played against both Fulham in December and West Ham in mid January.
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jord...s/spieler/341028/wettbewerb/GB21/verein/39336

Dawn Korus

Oct 17, 2010
Christmas Island
C'mon, playing at Worthing with youngsters, some older players, some good, most average a few that are quite poor, some fit and some unfit, is not comparable to playing against Newcastle U21's tomorrow evening,against hungry professionals and no doubt a couple of seasoned professionals, there is no comparison.

Have you been to see Worthing this year? Mostly a team of youngsters who play attractive, flowing football. I would say playing in that league against big, physical sides like Tooting were yesterday will be far more beneficial than an U18s game. He stood out yesterday, looked absolute quality

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
He's missed a lot of football, I'm sure we are just trying to get him some game time, people reading far too much into it in my opinion.

I would be very Suprised if he is not part of the u21 squad next season, I happen to know he is very happy at the albion

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Er, except he was on the fringes of the DS squad after christmas before he got injured and came on and played against both Fulham in December and West Ham in mid January.
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jord...s/spieler/341028/wettbewerb/GB21/verein/39336

On the fringes of the U21's, he is a professional that should be his bread and butter.

Thats the point of this discussion, that he cannot command a place within the current U21's and is loaned out not to a high level non league that might offer something not available at U21's level.

This isnt a view on JMD, its great for Worthing, its helpful to the BHA as it gets him playing time where they cannot offer him any, so its helpful but ultimately not ideal for JMD and his current status within the club.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Have you been to see Worthing this year? Mostly a team of youngsters who play attractive, flowing football. I would say playing in that league against big, physical sides like Tooting were yesterday will be far more beneficial than an U18s game. He stood out yesterday, looked absolute quality

So you would like to compare Worthing's young team with the Premier League U21's league and you think Tooting could rock up and bully Newcastle, Arsenal and Stoke U21's with their multi million budgets ??

We are not comparing Youth with anyone, its any young professional player would aspire to be playing regular U21's with his club at his Cat 1 Academy, slightly older perhaps a loan to higher level non league or lower league professional.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
How many games have the u21s got left ?

One. This [MENTION=5101]BigGully[/MENTION] clearly has an axe to grind.
Greg Luer (remember him?) was signed by a Premier League team last season playing at the same level that Jordan is now.
And he's still available for the U21's. And the U18's.
It's invaluable experience playing against men, which is something that youngsters often find the hardest when making the step up.
He's incredibly highly-rated by the club and could be a star of the future.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
On the fringes of the U21's, he is a professional that should be his bread and butter.

Ha ! Come on BG, make your mind up, its clear you didn't even know he'd played for the u21s this season until i pointed it out 10 minutes ago.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
How many games have the u21s got left ?

It doesnt matter because he hasnt really figured when he was fit and remaining fixtures will effect the whole squad, but the club will not be doing a mass loan anytime soon, so thats a red herring its not some master-plan.

Even with one league game left there will be plenty of friendlies before they break up for Summer holidays and the standard of the opposition will be higher that anything that Worthing can offer, he will of course get some games in those friendlies.

Great bit of business for Worthing though.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
One. This [MENTION=5101]BigGully[/MENTION] clearly has an axe to grind.
Greg Luer (remember him?) was signed by a Premier League team last season playing at the same level that Jordan is now.
And he's still available for the U21's. And the U18's.
It's invaluable experience playing against men, which is something that youngsters often find the hardest when making the step up.
He's incredibly highly-rated by the club and could be a star of the future.

Utter rubbish.

The Premier League U21's offers far more than Worthing level can ever offer, otherwise whats the point of investing millions each year, next you are going to tell me Worthing is our feeder club.

I happen to agree with you on his ability, but it would be better for him to be playing against Newcastle Under 21's tomorrow evening (it might have been them that had a couple of Full International playing last season) rather than playing for Worthing.

But if you are unable to see either the abject failure of being a Cat 1 Academy or the slight downgrade of this players status then you surprise me.

Axe to grind, absolutely not, who with exactly Worthing, BHA or JMD, so dont be silly.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Ha ! Come on BG, make your mind up, its clear you didn't even know he'd played for the u21s this season until i pointed it out 10 minutes ago.
#

I know that he hasnt featured much, hardly ever when fit, if he had he would not be out on loan, would he ??

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
It doesnt matter because he hasnt really figured when he was fit .

So you didn't know he'd been injured, you say he hasn't figured when he was fit except he did, you didn't know how many games the DS squad (one) had left or Worthing have left (a couple) , you say there will be friendlies before the season ends - there are none scheduled. Yet the club have, according to your knowledge of the above, failed him, you accuse them of lyng about how they've nurtured him except according to you they know they haven't, and JDM should be "concerned" about his future at the club.
Blimey !!!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
So you didn't know he'd been injured, you say he hasn't figured when he was fit except he did, you didn't know how many games the DS squad (one) had left or Worthing have left (a couple) , you say there will be friendlies before the season ends - there are none scheduled. Yet the club have, according to your knowledge of the above, failed him, you accuse them of lieing about how they've nurtured him except according to you they know they haven't, and JDM should be "concerned" about his future at the club.
Blimey !!!

Look please dont be daft.

Of course I knew he was injured and that he has hardly figured, they will without question have many friendlies before the end of the season, some will be behind closed doors maybe not even logged on the website, most likely a good few will so not to even understand that friendlies undoubtedly will take place again is odd, bearing in mind we are a Cat 1 Academy, why wouldn't you, the young professionals require training and games to develop, so if I was a betting man I would take your money.

I am NOT saying the club have failed him, in as much as ultimately its their call, but again it is quite damning either with the Cat 1 status or the current status of the young player.

He has a couple of more years contract and I personally think he is too good to fail, but I am sure he has been frustrated at his injuries yes, but more so his lack of any real progress above the youth team., there are other players above him at present of a similar age.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I am NOT saying the club have failed him

Really ? And its up to you and i heartily disagree with you from what i know of the situation but you've spent the last half hour saying that over and over in nearly a dozen posts. (bad and poor choice of loan, hasn't progressed, cat 1 status hasn't delivered despite millions spent etc etc)

Undoubtedly the club cooled on him (they would never say it|)
Strangely he has not really figured in the DS recently
If he continues his progress the club can quickly re-introduce him and tell the world they were nurturing him, but they werent....
I suspect if I was a player I would feel slightly worried.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Look please dont be daft.

Of course I knew he was injured and that he has hardly figured, they will without question have many friendlies before the end of the season, some will be behind closed doors maybe not even logged on the website, most likely a good few will so not to even understand that friendlies undoubtedly will take place again is odd, bearing in mind we are a Cat 1 Academy, why wouldn't you, the young professionals require training and games to develop, so if I was a betting man I would take your money.

I am NOT saying the club have failed him, in as much as ultimately its their call, but again it is quite damning either with the Cat 1 status or the current status of the young player.

He has a couple of more years contract and I personally think he is too good to fail, but I am sure he has been frustrated at his injuries yes, but more so his lack of any real progress above the youth team., there are other players above him at present of a similar age.

I asked you before, how many players of a similar age are above him? I know of James Tilley, but you have typed players (plural).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here