Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Drink Driving

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
I had my first ever breath test on New Years Day after more than 40 years driving!

It returned a zero rating:thumbsup:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
It is also the only offence that you could commit without knowing that you were. To explain you could be out drinking and watching the match in a pub this evening and get a taxi home there isnt a person alive who can tell you when without taking another test you are guaranteed to be under the limit to drive tomorrow. Many people have ideas of sleep etc but nobody can GUARANTEE when.,

But you will know you were drinking the night before so you might be over the limit. Same as if you have two pints of Harveys and drive an hour later, you might pass a breathalyser, but it's down to you if you don't.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'm not referring to any specific individual, but if anyone was arrogant or thick enough to plead not guilty in order to get a full trial and attract the media coverage that clearly it would bring, when or if they do get found guilty the Judge makes them pay the maximum amount of costs, then again if someone's allegedly on the verge of bankruptcy would they get legal aid for this sort of thing?

I think most people would suggest its for this reason (if we are talking about the person someone has suggested)...I know I am thinking that way

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I absolutely loathe anyone who does this. Had a sister killed by a drink driver 20 years ago - got 4 years and was out in 16 months. There is NO excuse.

Totally agree - the same attitude should be applied to speeding in my opinion - far more injuries and deaths occur where speed is a factor compared to those where alcohol is a factor.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We made a big point in our safety moments at work before Xmas in emphasising the time in takes to get alcohol out of the system and be safe to drive. I think if you have 4 pints of Stella between 9 and 11pm - it’s up to midday before your alcohol free. Partly because beer / lager is now generally 3-4 units per pint as alcohol levels are much higher than the 3%. I expect a lot of us have not fully thought this through when driving the next day.

Anyone as far as I’m concerned there is no excuse and we should move to Scottish levels - with the new law no one I know has a pint and drives - big cultural change

But you still cannot guarantee that driving home from work at 5pm you will be under the limit, possibly, probably but not. guaranteed

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
But you still cannot guarantee that driving home from work at 5pm you will be under the limit, possibly, probably but not. guaranteed

or the next day, cant guarantee right?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Totally agree - the same attitude should be applied to speeding in my opinion - far more injuries and deaths occur where speed is a factor compared to those where alcohol is a factor.

Is it down to speeding though?

Or is it more the dangerous habits that seem to be more and more common on the roads that are the real danger instead

- Tailgating
- Undertaking
- Poor road positioning (being in the left hand lane of a dual carriageway and pulling across the right hand lane to turn right (usually without signalling or checking their blind spot first)
- Cutting other vehicles up (for example, on dual carriageway roundabouts because they do not leave enough room for a vehicle in the right hand lane when they straight line it)
- General aggressive driving (impatient driving, etc)
- Mobile phone use
- Other driver distractions (I've seen people with lap tops balanced on steering wheels, people placing orders by phone as they flick through a catalogue which is balanced on the steering wheel whilst driving at 70mph, etc.....)
- unnecessarily slow drivers (who brake every time there is a slight bend, a vehicle approaching which isn't in their lane, etc)
- Road rage, etc........

and all things which are not detected by a speed camera but we rely on them as our main way of controlling driving behaviour which doesn't really tackle the problem

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Is it down to speeding though?

Or is it more the dangerous habits that seem to be more and more common on the roads that are the real danger instead

- Tailgating
- Undertaking
- Poor road positioning (being in the left hand lane of a dual carriageway and pulling across the right hand lane to turn right (usually without signalling or checking their blind spot first)
- Cutting other vehicles up (for example, on dual carriageway roundabouts because they do not leave enough room for a vehicle in the right hand lane when they straight line it)
- General aggressive driving (impatient driving, etc)
- Mobile phone use
- Other driver distractions (I've seen people with lap tops balanced on steering wheels, people placing orders by phone as they flick through a catalogue which is balanced on the steering wheel whilst driving at 70mph, etc.....)
- unnecessarily slow drivers (who brake every time there is a slight bend, a vehicle approaching which isn't in their lane, etc)
- Road rage, etc........

and all things which are not detected by a speed camera but we rely on them as our main way of controlling driving behaviour which doesn't really tackle the problem

I’m sure that all the above contribute to accidents but it is irrefutable that the largest contributory factor in accidents causing injury or death recorded by the police is speed, (either speeding or speed inappropriate for the conditions).

It seems though that it is socially acceptable to speed in just the same way that it was acceptable to drink and drive when I first passed my test.

This morning I was driving past a primary school in Hayward’s Heath where the road is subject to a 20mph limit - some idiot decided that wasn’t fast enough and overtook both myself and the car in front of me. To my mind a driver breaking that speed limit, whether overtaking, (as in that I have just described), or not is just as dangerous as a driver who may have had a couple of pints. Both should be treated the same and lose their right to drive a vehicle.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
There is no excuse for drink driving. Get what they deserve imo

... and speeding?

Funny how most people abhor drink driving but congratulate and celebrate someone getting somewhere faster! (i.e. normally speeding)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I’m sure that all the above contribute to accidents but it is irrefutable that the largest contributory factor in accidents causing injury or death recorded by the police is speed, (either speeding or speed inappropriate for the conditions).

seems to me a self-fulfilling factor, especially with the caveat "appropriate" thrown in. when digging into figures seems its a moderate proportion actually record injuries related to speed, this insurer reckons 11%.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

It seems though that it is socially acceptable to speed in just the same way that it was acceptable to drink and drive when I first passed my test.

This morning I was driving past a primary school in Hayward’s Heath where the road is subject to a 20mph limit - some idiot decided that wasn’t fast enough and overtook both myself and the car in front of me. To my mind a driver breaking that speed limit, whether overtaking, (as in that I have just described), or not is just as dangerous as a driver who may have had a couple of pints. Both should be treated the same and lose their right to drive a vehicle.

Just as dangerous as speeding:

1. Driving a 1.5 tonne missile whilst myopic and refusing to wear corrective glasses/contacts.

2. Ditto, but staring at and tapping away at a mobile.

3. Driving whilst drunk or on drugs.

4. Driving without ever passed a driving test. Also meaning they’re uninsured.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Your only possible defence is either distance drove (eg to the end of your driveway) or you were helping someone who's life was in immediate danger. That or something like the police breathalyzer was ****ed.
If you've got nothing like that, you'd be a massive fool to plead not guilty.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

seems to me a self-fulfilling factor, especially with the caveat "appropriate" thrown in. when digging into figures seems its a moderate proportion actually record injuries related to speed, this insurer reckons 11%.

As you say, speed is a very low cause of accidents and fatalities on the road, however safety groups seem to spend a disproportionate amount of time and effort to challenge this behaviour and do not tackle other factors which are far more dangerous and far more likely to cause an accident or fatality with the same determination, simply because its easier to Police speed through a fixed / mobile speed camera

But what is more dangerous?
Someone traveling at 75 in a 70mph zone, having left plenty of space between them and other vehicles so they have a safe zone in which they can react to what happens ahead or around them and prevent an accident? (say 4am on an empty motorway)
- or someone traveling at 60mph in a 70mph zone, who is tailgating the vehicle in front? (or even weaving their way through traffic, under and over taking other road users?)

According to how the safety groups campaign, it seems they deem the former far more dangerous and campaign around that, with harsh penalties in place for offenders, yet how many have actually been prosecuted for tailgating? (which surely comes under dangerous driving legislation?)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Your only possible defence is either distance drove (eg to the end of your driveway) or you were helping someone who's life was in immediate danger. That or something like the police breathalyzer was ****ed.
If you've got nothing like that, you'd be a massive fool to plead not guilty.

The evidence needs a urine or blood sample to back up the breathalyser reading.

There used to be a get out clause, where people said they were needle phobic or couldn't produce enough urine, but now that comes under failing to provide a sample which carries the same penalty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here