Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maguire v Dunk

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You'd think it would be stating the obvious, but the OP and several others don't agree...
What was the other thing Pickford's 3 outstanding saves had in common?

Maguire is the big boy who has got the shirt, and isn't doing enough to lose it, well done him.

For all I know if Maguire attempted to send the ball out to a wide open Trippier Southgate would like to him off the pitch.
We all know Dunk couldn't resist such a pass.
He certainly couldn't spend all game just passing to Stones or Pickford.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
What was the other thing Pickford's 3 outstanding saves had in common?

Maguire is the big boy who has got the shirt, and isn't doing enough to lose it, well done him.

For all I know if Maguire attempted to send the ball out to a wide open Trippier Southgate would like to him off the pitch.
We all know Dunk couldn't resist such a pass.
He certainly couldn't spend all game just passing to Stones or Pickford.

You skated over the part Maguire scored a crucial bullet header to give England the lead and stop Sweden parking the bus? Or is that part of just doing enough not to lose the shirt?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You skated over the part Maguire scored a crucial bullet header to give England the lead and stop Sweden parking the bus? Or is that part of just doing enough not to lose the shirt?

Just like you skated over his defensive shortcomings.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Just like you skated over his defensive shortcomings.

You are being hyper critical if you think he made many defensive errors in that game. Gave Sweden a free kick on the edge at 2-0, but as I said his involvement was crucial and was one of the candidates for man of the match, yet again.

You are just digging yourself a hole if you can't admit he is a class above Dunk.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You are being hyper critical if you think he made many defensive errors in that game. Gave Sweden a free kick on the edge at 2-0, but as I said his involvement was crucial and was one of the candidates for man of the match, yet again.

You are just digging yourself a hole if you can't admit he is a class above Dunk.
Someone on this thread put it best when they said words to the effect of 'he doesn't have to be a class above Dunk, he just needs to be good enough to keep the shirt'.
A fact that has never been in doubt, a fact I have repeatedly mirrored on here, and fact you kindly even highlighted for me.

Again as others have said hopeful Dunk will get into the squad via a Jones/Cahill route, but even then he'll still be against Maguire for what I assume would be his preferred place in the starting XI.

Maguire isn't doing anything to lose the shirt, but imho doesn't have a firm grasp, begging the initial question got to wonder what else he has to do to get a look in.

If I was trying to tell you I was a little bit off on Trippier then by all means, fill your boots, if that makes you happy.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Doesn't have a firm grasp of the shirt? He's been one of the players of the tournament and we have reached the semi finals of the world cup. Even if he scored 2 own goals in the next game he would still be a firm starter. No point continuing the discussion.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Doesn't have a firm grasp of the shirt? He's been one of the players of the tournament and we have reached the semi finals of the world cup. Even if he scored 2 own goals in the next game he would still be a firm starter. No point continuing the discussion.
My point exactly.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Not sure how anyone can compare Maguire to Dunk based on the currant showings.
To get the shirt, and then grow into it with such confidence and stature is a hard thing to do. Maybe Dunk could have done it, but I seriously doubt it.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Maguire, even before the WC, was and is a better CB and threat up front, than all the players mentioned, plus all of CPFC's CB's who leak goals with great regularity.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Maguire and Dunk are both very comparable and for me, the 2 best centre backs. Can't wait to see them paired up with each other for England. Both great players, neither deserves criticism.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Maguire and Dunk are both very comparable and for me, the 2 best centre backs. Can't wait to see them paired up with each other for England. Both great players, neither deserves criticism.

Completely agree that neither deserve criticism, but do you think Dunk is better than Stones? Not for me, maybe in a year or two with more experience in the Prem, with or without BHAFC.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!

But with Brighton playing four across the back, and England three, I think Dunk didn't get selected for the England squad because of that reason?
If we start to play three across the back, then to my mind with the strides that Dunk has made, he would get into the squad as well all day long on merit?

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Macguire has been brilliant at the back and in midfield, I wonder if the England performance will influence CH, will he revisit three across the back if he gets Moore?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here