Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Best Punk Rock Song ?

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Seen the Test Tubes countless times, probably even more these last few years. This was a proper event. Loved it. To hear Peacehaven Wild Kids again was the icing on the cake. Defiantly will be asking them to put it back in their set when next we meet, if only when they play in Sussex.

Celebrating 40 years, Peter reckons the last album 'Thats, shallot' was one of the best they have ever done, I have certainly listened to it more than the earlier albums. Well worth checking out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lzZ0t0NMv8

Funny ending to the video as well

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Really enjoying this thread, but there does seem to be a lot of snobbery about what is punk and if punk is actually dead. What does that even mean? If punk is the lifespan of The Sex Pistols, then I suppose it is. But it didn't die because Danny Baker said so. He was part of an arty clic that created a scene in London. For me it goes way beyond that original scene and way beyond the Pistols and is still smashing down doors today. Did metal die after Sabbath released a couple of albums? Did thrash die because Metallica got too big. For me it's about the sound and the style, so lets leave some of that indie twaddle ( Joy Division, The Fall, Comsat Angels ) at the door. Punk didn't evolve into those bands, it became much greater with the second wave of 'real punk', The Cockney Rejects, The Exploited, GBH, UK Subs ..et al.
I spent a large part of the arse end of 1977 and early 1978 frequenting The Alhambra, The Buccaneer, The Crypt/Vault and The Richmond. Followed lots of the local bands that appeared on the two Vaultage albums. Still follow The Test Tubes today and was in Peacehaven on Saturday and The Albert in December.
For me punk never died, the music anyway, it just continued and evolved. It some ways it split into factions. You had the trad stuff with bands like The Damned, 999, Sham 69, and then you had the crusty punk bands , Discharge, Crass, Conflict and then of course the Oi stuff , Rejects , 4 skins , Business. All different styles and with different politics, but all with a common denominator. They all made a bloody good racket. It was noisy , a bit yobby and a load of fun. Other bands came and went . Anti Nowhere League are still with us, the Ruts are sadly not although Ruts DC did play in Balcombe on Saturday.
So the point is, punk is still around. You can go to Rebellion in the summer and enjoy 4 days of punk rock and catch a lot the old bands, or you can catch some of the bands that came after, mostly American, Agnostic Front , Sick of it All, Cro Mags, Rancid (saw all four of these bands seperatly last year) or catch some bands this year. Just seen The Exploited in London, will be seeing Sham 69 and the Angelic Upstarts in Brighton, The Cockney Rejects in Lewes, The Test Tubes in Brighton as well as a double header of DRI and MDC in London to name a few.
And just to prove there are new bands coming through. Checkout Maid of Ace from Hastings. saw them in Lewes after the Leicester game. Absolute glorious noise.

Punk never really died. Some it is just about hanging on, but there is a new skin from the old carcass that refuses to go away.

I was at the same gigs as you in 77 and 78.

Danny Baker was never part of an arty 'clic'. Although, perhaps, I was....my dear.

Joy Division, The Fall and The Comsats are not twaddle.

And punk never reinvented itself. I still like my old 45s, but you can't ramalam your dole Q any more.

Apart from that, I agree withe every word punk::kiss::thumbsup:

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

Attachments

• AZ.jpeg
    AZ.jpeg
    34.3 KB · Views: 87

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Another pay no more than 99p purchase from Virgin Records in Queens Road, introduced us to our very own Atilla the Stockbroker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om24vFEStvw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxVV2ktrRHI

Indeed. He did his first ever gig in the county of Kent about 15 years ago, in Rochester. Supporting....John Cooper Clark. He has also played at one of my local pubs in Faversham at the folk club on several occasions. :thumbsup:

'Contributory negligence' was a fave of mine....and Goldstone Ghosts....he read it at the Scars and Stripes end of season dinner circa 2002....blimey....grown men in tears, including [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] punk:

God bless you [MENTION=528]attila[/MENTION] - bearing in mind there is no god, of course :lolol:

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Doesn't he work in Dave's Comics? Can't believe he's still called Smelly

I briefly went out with a girl in the early 80s who prior to meeting me had had her advances rejected by Smelly. Not sure what that says about me.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I loved the posters - my sister who was older than me had the Fresh Fruits album and this poster on her wall, I had Flux of Pink Indians one later on.

Some good videos on the art of these albums, Dead Kennedys, Crass and Black Flag, really worth watching. My bedroom walls were covered in collages I made from NME, band, gig posters and papers cut up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiMLQqNFTyI

Attachments

• DK.jpeg
    DK.jpeg
    326.5 KB · Views: 153

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Far from the best punk song ever, but this one forever stuck in my mind. It left a deep impression on me at school during the Falklands War. It was a serious song. Nobody quite knew how to react to it. The Daily Mail thought it was a right wing punk song, when it was actually ridiculing the gleeful nationalistic writing of The Sun at a time when young men were losing their lives.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here