Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bournemouth 9th best team in England

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
If we can somehow avoid the drop then it's possible but sadly the monies are on a Brighton,Burnley and Huddersfield relegation.
We don't have the funds to go to the next level and a Burnley mould is highly likely.

Who says we don't have the funds. You have no idea what Tony is worth or how much more he is prepared put in. I think we are in for exciting times and don't accept your doom laden forecast.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
We don't have the funds to go to the next level and a Burnley mould is highly likely.

I think we do have the funds, but they won't be spent. We're likely to lose players we want over £1m signing-on fees, and an extra £1-£2m in transfer fees.

I know it's a lot of money to you and I, but if we want to stay up we'll have to pay it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Who says we don't have the funds. You have no idea what Tony is worth or how much more he is prepared put in. I think we are in for exciting times and don't accept your doom laden forecast.

We do have the funds. £100m of extra income plus an uplift in sponsorship monies, PER ANNUM. I'm hoping TB uses it in full to give us a chance.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
He's already lost a fortune and won't put extra 10's of millions into next season due to extortionate player wages.Do I know what he's worth?No
Do I know how much he's going to put in? No

If I was him I'd spend as little as possible and if we drop we drop.....nothing doom about that as the premiership is a dull league.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I think we do have the funds, but they won't be spent. We're likely to lose players we want over £1m signing-on fees, and an extra £1-£2m in transfer fees.

I know it's a lot of money to you and I, but if we want to stay up we'll have to pay it.
I'd be happy to pluck the best championship players but even those would cost a fortune and the wages would be extremely high.The money received compared to player wages isn't as rosy as it looks that's for sure :)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'd be happy to pluck the best championship players but even those would cost a fortune and the wages would be extremely high.The money received compared to player wages isn't as rosy as it looks that's for sure :)

The whole market has suddenly got far more expensive and a little out of control, at all levels. In no time at all players such as Pogba, Lukaku, Van Dijk, Mbappe, are priced at the level previously reserved for the likes of Ronaldo and Bale. With Sessegnon, Cairney, Dembele (the Celtic version) being priced in the £10m's. I don't know if this stems from the huge funds being spent by the new Chinese League, heating the market.

But there appears to be a lot of snouts at the trough including agents and players families.

You can see how an inexperienced club could be ripped off and lose its new football found riches.

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
He's already lost a fortune and won't put extra 10's of millions into next season due to extortionate player wages.Do I know what he's worth?No
Do I know how much he's going to put in? No

If I was him I'd spend as little as possible and if we drop we drop.....nothing doom about that as the premiership is a dull league.

Thankfully he isn't you. He is "exceedingly richer than you".

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
There is no point in worrying about Bournemouth tbh....the're so far ahead of us it's pointless thinking of them as rivals....we'd be much better off thinking about our relegation rivals...Huddersfield,Stoke,Watford and Newcastle.

Why stoke? They are an established premier side with experienced players.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I wouldn't have thought that the plan was to get promotion and then get relegated straight away.
Funds will be invested wisely and to be honest, I think a large chunk will go to TB every season we are there in loan repayments for the stadium and training grounds etc.
I think that consolidation in the bottom regions, higher than bottom 3 of course, of the table will be the plan and then to gradually gather momentum over the next few seasons.
Then the Champions League !

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Don't bother with all this nonsense, people. Bournemouth wasted a load of money on players who couldn't get in their team after promotion, so our lack of signings so far means very little. And although they may be the 9th best team at the moment according to the table, they are, as has been said, still a tiny club. In one way, this has worked to their advantage in that the few thousand who are able to cram into their ground are, almost without exception, the most fervent fans and stay behind the team at all times (and don't leave en masse ten minutes from time). Yes, we are a bigger club than Bournemouth, and the fact that their troll can't stay off our site is very flattering. But in the end these comparisons mean very little, as supporters of clubs more massive than ourselves found out last season.

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
In one way, this has worked to their advantage in that the few thousand who are able to cram into their ground are, almost without exception, the most fervent fans and stay behind the team at all times (and don't leave en masse ten minutes from time).

Being born, bred and back living in Poole I have to disagree with this. My dad used to take me to Dean Court on a regular basis in the 1970s, but thankfully it didn't stick!!

The area just isn't a football 'hot bed' and as a result quite a lot of their small fan base still comprises JCLs/fair weather fans. As an example someone I used to work with someone who first started going during their promotion season and when things began getting a bit rocky last season they offered their season ticket around. In particular they didn't want to see Man City as they feared they'd get thrashed! I know for a fact this isn't an isolated example.

The only reason they don't get flocks of people leaving early is because there aren't any logistical issues with 11,000 people trying to get away at the same time.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
I think Defoe is a fabulous player but they want to hope they do stay up and Defoe stays fit as offering an aged player a three year deal could be mighty expensive in the long run if they go down .
He does keep himself extremely fit though and of course scores goals so it could work out very well for them.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Being born, bred and back living in Poole I have to disagree with this. My dad used to take me to Dean Court on a regular basis in the 1970s, but thankfully it didn't stick!!

The area just isn't a football 'hot bed' and as a result quite a lot of their small fan base still comprises JCLs/fair weather fans. As an example someone I used to work with someone who first started going during their promotion season and when things began getting a bit rocky last season they offered their season ticket around. In particular they didn't want to see Man City as they feared they'd get thrashed! I know for a fact this isn't an isolated example.

The only reason they don't get flocks of people leaving early is because there aren't any logistical issues with 11,000 people trying to get away at the same time.

Agreed.
They have a relatively small fan base and have always been in the shadow of Saints. Outside of Bournemouth itself, their catchment area is a mixture of green fields and market towns. It has never been a football hotbed and I would suggest that, due to the nature of the area, i.e a higher than normal percentage of retired people, they will struggle to build a larger fanbase. Once you go west past Southampton, the population levels drop off considerably. The whole of S.E Dorset is only 465,000, which includes Bournemouth itself at 185,000 ( Palace have nearly 2m people on their doorstep in the boroughs of Croydon and Bromley )
They have outgrown their ground but are struggling to find any alternative sites locally. Even at Championship level it is a small capacity and this will, eventually, drag them down. Their bubble will burst, sooner rather than later but they will be in a decent position to yo yo.
They have a headstart on us, are paying bigger wages and attracting decent players. Their Russian benefactor is weighing in with plenty of dosh at present but will he eventually get frustrated with the lack of infrastructure and potential?
Howe is in his comfort zone but he will know that he can only take them so far. A bigger challenge may lure him away and then it will be interesting to see if the club dynamic changes.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agreed.
They have a relatively small fan base and have always been in the shadow of Saints. Outside of Bournemouth itself, their catchment area is a mixture of green fields and market towns. It has never been a football hotbed and I would suggest that, due to the nature of the area, i.e a higher than normal percentage of retired people, they will struggle to build a larger fanbase. Once you go west past Southampton, the population levels drop off considerably. The whole of S.E Dorset is only 465,000, which includes Bournemouth itself at 185,000 ( Palace have nearly 2m people on their doorstep in the boroughs of Croydon and Bromley )
They have outgrown their ground but are struggling to find any alternative sites locally. Even at Championship level it is a small capacity and this will, eventually, drag them down. Their bubble will burst, sooner rather than later but they will be in a decent position to yo yo.
They have a headstart on us, are paying bigger wages and attracting decent players. Their Russian benefactor is weighing in with plenty of dosh at present but will he eventually get frustrated with the lack of infrastructure and potential?
Howe is in his comfort zone but he will know that he can only take them so far. A bigger challenge may lure him away and then it will be interesting to see if the club dynamic changes.

The Palace 'catchment' includes huge folllowings for Fulham, Chelsea, Arsenal, Millwall and Charlton. I don't think it's case of simple geographical proximity to the nearest stadium being the decisive factor, in London. The attraction of the three large London clubs will always undermine them.

Palace couldn't sell out the ground in the Championship, typical gates being 15-17,000, suggesting they are not a sleeping giant awaiting a huge ground to tap into those resources.

https://www.holmesdale.net/page.php?id=316

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here