Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Advice ... need new Wifi Router

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I buggered up my router by plugging in the wrong power lead and it led to overheating. Figured it out after a few switch on/offs but think it's dying

Can I just buy a wifi router, plug in and go or are there any particular settings or config stuff that mean I have to go back to the ISP? (trying to deal with Spanish ISP who are a service provider of another is pretty well impossible)

Cheers!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I buggered up my router by plugging in the wrong power lead and it led to overheating. Figured it out after a few switch on/offs but think it's dying

Can I just buy a wifi router, plug in and go or are there any particular settings or config stuff that mean I have to go back to the ISP? (trying to deal with Spanish ISP who are a service provider of another is pretty well impossible)

Cheers!

All sounds a bit technical ..u living in two places now?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Log in to your existing router and check the settings for broadband (might be labelled WAN). It might have some setting like VPI/VCI, that sort of thing. Write down, or photograph, everything that can be changed (might be a few things, might be nothing).
When buying a new one, you will either need an ADSL modem/router or just a router, depending on how it connects to the line (if it plugs in to a phone socket then you need a modem/router, if it connects via RJ45 then just a router).

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
it *should* be simple swap - follow Happypigs steps. however it can be a pain when theres a problem not having the ISPs hub. they always ask to change it back (you can lie of course) and the new hubs will auto-login and self correct issues that general Modem/Router devices wont. i've just changed ISP and gave into using their hub. at cery least find out how much they charge for replacement, it may be cheap.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Log in to your existing router and check the settings for broadband (might be labelled WAN). It might have some setting like VPI/VCI, that sort of thing. Write down, or photograph, everything that can be changed (might be a few things, might be nothing).
When buying a new one, you will either need an ADSL modem/router or just a router, depending on how it connects to the line (if it plugs in to a phone socket then you need a modem/router, if it connects via RJ45 then just a router).

it *should* be simple swap - follow Happypigs steps. however it can be a pain when theres a problem not having the ISPs hub. they always ask to change it back (you can lie of course) and the new hubs will auto-login and self correct issues that general Modem/Router devices wont. i've just changed ISP and gave into using their hub. at cery least find out how much they charge for replacement, it may be cheap.

Cheers .. as it happens my mate has just told me he's got a new TP Link (Wireless N) router that is still boxed, so have got it off him and going to try and get that rigged up. If unsuccessful will go back to ISP and try and get them to send me another, straightforward you'd think but after 2 calls doesn't seem to be the case :(

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Cheers .. as it happens my mate has just told me he's got a new TP Link (Wireless N) router that is still boxed, so have got it off him and going to try and get that rigged up. If unsuccessful will go back to ISP and try and get them to send me another, straightforward you'd think but after 2 calls doesn't seem to be the case :(

Oh well that didn't work ... no ADSL port on the thing

Back to the ISP I guess :(

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here