Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
To someone who has cancer, politics pales into insignificance, my cancer nurse is French, she tells me that treatment in Britain is streets ahead of what is on offer in France. So what advice should I take, how should I see the world of healthcare v Brexit? I see that we are blessed with the healthcare system that we have, that complaints are not always justified, that if we cut down on those abusing A&E, that department would have to see nearly 40% less patients, (my daughter is an A&E nurse, the thoughts of her department). Its not all about the money, its about education, its about the theft of time and resource by those who abuse the system, ambulance chasers, drunken behaviour, drug addicts and those too idle to put a plaster on a cut, yes its come to that at A&E.
So no, there probably won't be an ectra £350m available for the NHS, but then anyone who believes what a politician says, really shouldn't have the right to vote. As for your last paragraph, stop trying to establish a link between cancer treatment and Brexit, it just doesn't cut it.

Brighton Mod - I wish you all the best in your treatment. I know I shouldn't try to make a political point here, but there ARE at least two clear links between Brexit and cancer treatment. The first is that Brexit will make us, as a nation, poorer - and hence we will have less to spend on the NHS. Secondly, a "Hard" Brexit will severely damage the supply chain. Medical supplies (including cancer drugs) would be impacted. The systems required to ensure a smooth inflow/outflow of goods will take many, many years to put in place if we leave the Customs Union. Added to which, outside the EU, there is the whole issue of having to create a completely new relationship with the European Medicines Agency (or maybe not if the likes of Bojo, Gove et al have their way).

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Beggars belief - Multi billionaire brexiteer moaning about the removal of subsidies provided by the EU and tries to justify the £1.6m subsidy the multi billionaire brexiteer receives for his 33,000 acre (51 square miles!!!) estate.

'I am not anti-Europe. I am just anti Britain having no sovereignty' and 'UK should 'walk away from trade talks' said the multi billionaire brexiteer who manufactures millions of vacum cleaners each year from his factories in Malaysia and Singapore.

Yes Brexit business is really stretching credulity with this guy and the beer mat manifesto genius.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Last month John Redwood was telling the chancellor to make the treasury forecasts more optimistic, this month he is advising in the FT, those with some cash to play with to take money out of UK investments, and that the European Central Bank controlled areas offer better returns over the next few years.

What a ****.

Ah yes, John Redwood, arch Brexiteer, and why the Tories are so keen on Brexit. They're not doing it for the country, they're negotiating for more power for themselves.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/john-redwood-brexit_uk_5a08cb50e4b0e37d2f3833c4

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Beggars belief - Multi billionaire brexiteer moaning about the removal of subsidies provided by the EU and tries to justify the £1.6m subsidy the multi billionaire brexiteer receives for his 33,000 acre (51 square miles!!!) estate.

'I am not anti-Europe. I am just anti Britain having no sovereignty' and 'UK should 'walk away from trade talks' said the multi billionaire brexiteer who manufactures millions of vacum cleaners each year from his factories in Malaysia and Singapore.

I would be against Britain having no sovereignty too but as everything from taxes, welfare, minimum wage, education, regional development, infrastructure, our national defence and a heap more besides have never stopped being the responsibility of our national parliament I am not too concerned. Lying subsidy-claimers who simultaneously make billions out of offshore manufacturing worry me more.

Anyone recommend a good vacuum cleaner?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...The systems required to ensure a smooth inflow/outflow of goods will take many, many years to put in place if we leave the Customs Union. Added to which, outside the EU, there is the whole issue of having to create a completely new relationship with the European Medicines Agency (or maybe not if the likes of Bojo, Gove et al have their way).

this is what i dont understand about some remainers, inventing problems. its arguable whether or not we will be poorer, but these two points you make are not. there is already a system for import and export, used by the >50% trade not currently with the EU (including all pharmaceuticals coming from say US). secondly, there is national body for drug approval, MHRA, which is actually responsible for the meat of the approval process such as trials. EMA only applies in some areas, granting license to approved drugs in a nice centralised manner that helps the industry avoid some costs. we still carry out approval processes in the UK and we could sign up the recognise the EMA licenses. we could also approve products directly that current dont gain a EMA license in areas they oversee.

Jan 30, 2008
I would be against Britain having no sovereignty too but as everything from taxes, welfare, minimum wage, education, regional development, infrastructure, our national defence and a heap more besides have never stopped being the responsibility of our national parliament I am not too concerned. Lying subsidy-claimers who simultaneously make billions out of offshore manufacturing worry me more.

Anyone recommend a good vacuum cleaner?
yes Dyson , THE BOSS CAN'T WAIT TO LEAVE THIS SORRY ESTABLISHMENT they call the EU
regards
DR

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
See the really stupid are out in force today.See the name Dyson,and they go off on a mad one.If you had read the whole article,you might have noticed that he has spent £75 million of his own money to ensure his farm is as environmentally friendly as possible,and created a nature reserve.He is also investing in research and development of farm automation,and a crop was recently planted,reared,and harvested by robots,cutting down on wasteful labour.All laudable stuff to normal people-just not the loonier fringe.
As for the gnashing and wailing about Boris,all Ministers are briefed by civil servants,as they can't possibly know all the facts.So,hopefully,some utterly useless time-serving mandarin will have got the boot,either for stupidity or s**t-stirring!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
You might not agree, but I have said many times I think we all need to pay a bit more. I personally would be happy to part with a £10 - £20 per month towards an NHS fund, so that it gets the funding it needs in certain areas, trouble is no government has the balls to ask for it.

Well I agree with you for sure, providing the money raised is targeted within the NHS and not just at it.

In fairness, one party did go into the last election with a specific policy for a ring-fenced NHS tax levy.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Supporting the British workers eh?

https://twitter.com/mrjamesob/status/929723506773852161

[tweet]929723506773852161[/tweet]

Must be desperate to quote that fake-news champion.They weren't 'fired',they were made properly and legally redundant.

dyson.jpg

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
f you had read the whole article,you might have noticed that he has spent £75 million of his own money to ensure his farm is as environmentally friendly as possible,and created a nature reserve.

Not quite - "poured £75m of his own money into his own farm businesses to improve them agriculturally and benefit wildlife". To put it in more simple terms for you, he is investing £75m so that his land is improved and therefore more profitable. That he claims it 'benefits wildlife' is an irrelevance.

I'm also not entirely sure why we're calling out that it's his 'own money'?? Entrepreneur investing his own money in to his own business is not entirely worthy of note.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Next week, Tim Martin owner of Wetherspoons....." I'm afraid that after Brexit I won't be able to find cheap kitchen chefs to operate our pub microwaves.... "

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 22389

It's Dysons turn today. Who will it be tomorrow, Boris, Gove or May? What a waste of energy.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Brighton Mod - I wish you all the best in your treatment. I know I shouldn't try to make a political point here, but there ARE at least two clear links between Brexit and cancer treatment. The first is that Brexit will make us, as a nation, poorer - and hence we will have less to spend on the NHS. Secondly, a "Hard" Brexit will severely damage the supply chain. Medical supplies (including cancer drugs) would be impacted. The systems required to ensure a smooth inflow/outflow of goods will take many, many years to put in place if we leave the Customs Union. Added to which, outside the EU, there is the whole issue of having to create a completely new relationship with the European Medicines Agency (or maybe not if the likes of Bojo, Gove et al have their way).

Thanks for that, its a shit deal, I will lose my life and there's nothing to be done, apart from averting Inheritance Tax and leaving no property in my name and nothing in my bank account, now that really spurs me on.
There is no clear link at all, brexit hasn't happened yet, I've heard stories of planes being grounded, spare parts for cars not being around, restrictions on travel, the loss of the banking industry in London (something the Germans have been after for years) and loss of cross border intelligence (Germany and France have no equivilant to GCHQ). None of this is going to happen as with both sides having so much to lose and not being seen to be conceding ground I am confident a deal will be made. For you to suggest that cancer drugs will be effected by brexit is ridiculous, my chemo drugs are made in Hastings, did you know that? For the EU to be seen to be restricting drugs will be like trying to starve the enemy out, its just more scaremongering.
For the record, I trust no politicians and expect nothing from them, i've never been surprised or disappointed.
Some on both sides of this arguement can make anything about brexit or remain, get on with your lives, your missing so much.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
And the rest of James O'Brien's statement? Probably, in fact, the more pertinent part?

What,the fact is worth £8 billion?Or the allegation that he thinks Brexit will make things easier employment-wise?Where is the proof for either of these?He is the original fake news shock-jock,and anybody who believes one word of what he says is just proving how gullible they are.Can I have your bank account details for somebody stuck in Iran?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here