Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst band that wew successful?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
You may not like them but I'm sorry to say they were one of the worst bands which were successful is utter nonsense. One of THE hallmarks of a great band is when you hear them for the first time, it sounds nothing like you've heard before. The Smiths fall into that category. They had their own sound which was completely distinctive. No-one else sounded like them.
Only the really great acts have that. The Beatles, Bowie, The Pistols, Prince, Nirvana, Joy Division, Kraftwerk, AC/DC, they all had a sound which made you stop the first time you heard them. Not many have that. The Smiths did.

You're right but I am talking about my perspective listening to them, not everyone's. I fully acknowledge the cult of the Smiths is loved, worshiped and glorified by thousands of people but the caterwauling of a self obsessed egotist poet trapped in a musician's life is just not for me. I agree with their importance and also believe they should be inducted in the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame (which would inevitably result in anti establishment Morrissey throwing a wobbly) but I don't like the voice. Simple as that.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
The Beatles (utter rip off merchants from day one)
Wet Wet Wet.... Shite name and utter shite
Ian Drury and Blockheads
Elvis Costello
Squeeze

PLEASE explain why the Beatles were the worst band that were successful. Just to confirm: The most successful band ever were actually "The Worst"?
Can you also enlighten the rest of the world why they were rip off merchants? I understand some people think the Beatles were over rated but I think you may have gone a bit far with your look at me comment.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You may not like them but I'm sorry to say they were one of the worst bands which were successful is utter nonsense. One of THE hallmarks of a great band is when you hear them for the first time, it sounds nothing like you've heard before. The Smiths fall into that category. They had their own sound which was completely distinctive. No-one else sounded like them.
Only the really great acts have that. The Beatles, Bowie, The Pistols, Prince, Nirvana, Joy Division, Kraftwerk, AC/DC, they all had a sound which made you stop the first time you heard them. Not many have that. The Smiths did.

Great post.

With countless later bands openly admitting their love of the music of all those bands and their influence.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
I hate it when people criticise music. If people play something which makes someone else happy, who the **** are you or I to say they're not good enough.

Take Radiohead for example. I cannot, for the life of me, understand how they're so big. They are insanely talented, but their music does absolutely nothing for me. Not a thing. But given the droves of people who worship them, they're not shit. How can they be?

U2 on the other hand. Now they ARE shit.

That's far too sensible. I was made to think when I was a student in the early 1970s, talking about music and I was being rude about the Wombles - well, who wouldn't. But one of my friends, who was not known for his over-sensitivity and himself was in to some fairly heavyweight jazz, said "Whatever we might say, they give a lot of people a lot of pleasure." That changed my thinking, and so now I would not say something is sh1t, I would just say I didn't like it, or them.

And I'm not U2's greatest fan, either.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I know U2 will be unpopular due to Bono and his preaching of poverty while flying on his own private plane.

Maybe their recent music has been MOR but when they were young they produced some great innovative music that stands up today.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
PLEASE explain why the Beatles were the worst band that were successful. Just to confirm: The most successful band ever were actually "The Worst"?
Can you also enlighten the rest of the world why they were rip off merchants? I understand some people think the Beatles were over rated but I think you may have gone a bit far with your look at me comment.

You have to remember this is NSC and there are clearly posters on fishing trips...

Mrs Jakarta was born in 1951 & is a huge Beatles fan but personally I'm a bit too young (born 1960) so can take or leave them, I'm a Hawkwind/Led Zep/Pink Floyd chap myself...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here