Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rooney's "achievements"

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
My original point and post was that Rooney was (in the context of England) proud of his achievements.
My issue was that is all fine and dandy - but how the hell has it given us any reason to be proud?
We've consistently under-achieved in weak groups and bottled it at tournaments.

And that is all the team.

But you said this:

Perhaps you could explain to us what we could be proud of and exactly **what** you have "achieved" in the last
15 years for England.

Because I see absolutely f**** all unless you see making the England team the world's laughing stock an
achievement.

Which suggests that he is responsible for making the England team a laughing stock.

The obvious achievement is to be England's record goalscorer. Not the achievement it might have been in another era, but still quite a feat. Another thing that appears to be passing us by is that Wayne Rooney has never bottled friendlies - he's no Ryan Giggs, and he deserves respect for that too.

My final point is that I won't have some tin pot journalist scowling about his conduct when all he's done is get a bit tipsy at a wedding. He should have a look at the conduct of people in his own profession. Come back when Rooney has hacked the phone of a murdered teenager or told blatant lies and half-truths in an effort to get ahead.

Last edited:

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
But you said this:

Which suggests that he is responsible for making the England team a laughing stock.

The obvious achievement is to be England's record goalscorer. Not the achievement it might have been in another era, but still quite a feat. Another thing that appears to be passing us by is that Wayne Rooney has never bottled friendlies - he's no Ryan Giggs, and he deserves respect for that too.

My final point is that I won't have some tin pot journalist scowling about his conduct when all he's done is get a bit tipsy at a wedding. He should have a look at the conduct of people in his own profession. Come back when Rooney has hacked the phone of a murdered teenager or told blatant lies and half-truths in an effort to get ahead.

He has contributed to making England a laughing stock is my implication here.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014

Surely by scoring lots of goals and thus ensuring we invariably manage to at least qualify, he's actually mitigated against further levels of 'laughing stock' nonsense?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Have you watched an England match whilst abroad? I was on holiday in France during the Euros, watching our games, in a bar, on the campsite. We were given commiserations by the French, Dutch and Germans watching with us, and they weren't just being polite. Not one was laughing.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patreon
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Have you watched an England match whilst abroad? I was on holiday in France during the Euros, watching our games, in a bar, on the campsite. We were given commiserations by the French, Dutch and Germans watching with us, and they weren't just being polite. Not one was laughing.

After the Iceland game, they must have been smirking a bit surely?

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Have you watched an England match whilst abroad? I was on holiday in France during the Euros, watching our games, in a bar, on the campsite. We were given commiserations by the French, and they weren't just being polite. Not one was laughing.

After the Iceland game, they must have been smirking a bit surely?

No. Do you understand what commiseration means?

The French we due to play the winners of the England Iceland match. I can ASSURE you their 'commiserations' were not genuine!

boik

Rooney is an easy target because he doesn't speak very well and is not highly educated. That's not his job, he's a footballer, and a very good one. Someone said that Jimmy greaves was 10 times the player. What, the Jimmy greaves who used to get pissed on the way to a match and was dropped the only time England did well. Loved JG but that's a specious argument.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
What are all these blunders you refer to? Also, how do you know he crashed the wedding? Isn't it possible that someone saw him and invited him in?

What is clear is that you don't like him.

I neither like or dislike him, however I have no respect for him, as for blunders being filmed pissed the in the early hours of a team training session, sexting women, using prostitutes, wanting the media attention when its positive complaining when its negative. Lack of judgement by not understanding his role in the England team, was he invited, do you know any better than I, what if he was involved in a fight with people wanting to eject him, sorry fella there's no defending his behaviour from those with values. he's not a role model, he's not a captain and probably he's no longer an England player.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I neither like or dislike him, however I have no respect for him, as for blunders being filmed pissed the in the early hours of a team training session, sexting women, using prostitutes, wanting the media attention when its positive complaining when its negative. Lack of judgement by not understanding his role in the England team, was he invited, do you know any better than I, what if he was involved in a fight with people wanting to eject him, sorry fella there's no defending his behaviour from those with values. he's not a role model, he's not a captain and probably he's no longer an England player.

All of that in one night? Blimey, he was busy.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I agree totally.

If you want role models in life choose perhaps choose scientists, engineers, leaders, inspiring talkers and so on rather than a spud faced nipper from Croxteth with no qualifications.

Rooney is English football's ultimate idiot savant IMHO. If it wasn't for some freakish connection between his feet and some deeply hidden part of his brain, he'd be signing on the dole forever. As would his missus.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Rooney is English football's ultimate idiot savant IMHO. If it wasn't for some freakish connection between his feet and some deeply hidden part of his brain, he'd be signing on the dole forever. As would his missus.

His missus, who is successfully running her own business, and is rich in her own right? And before she married him, too.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here