Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus going to Greece

Boston28

Feb 7, 2014
Apparently in advanced talks with AEK Athens, odd decision if you ask me with the midseason manager sackings imminent.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
He won't be getting a Prem job so only option here would be taking over from a Lennon or Doogie.

If he's aiming to get back to the Prem, then going abroad to a big club in a small league with a bit of European exposure makes sense

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
If you have spent a couple of years in Sunderland then moving to Athens is in no way a strange decision. beautiful city, gorgeous weather.

Good luck to him.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Please, before we slaughter Gus, would we be where we are now without him. As a then division one club, he was all we could afford and HE took us to within a few points of the promised land, and then blew it!

rusty redeyes

Feb 26, 2007
Portslade, The Blue Anchor
Had talks out there last week, and job was offered to him and 1 of his backroom team. Wouldn't take job on those terms, only if Charlie, Tarrico and Beese were part of the package, Has flown back today to finalise paperwork, others waiting for confo before going out there as well. Can't find odds anywhere as would have had a punt last week and then would have lumped on yesterday!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Saved us from relegation. Got us promoted, almost repeated the feat, somehow saved Sunderland from what looked like a nailed-on relegation and took them to a Cup Final.

A fine manager. He'll do well in Greece.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Had talks out there last week, and job was offered to him and 1 of his backroom team. Wouldn't take job on those terms, only if Charlie, Tarrico and Beese were part of the package, Has flown back today to finalise paperwork, others waiting for confo before going out there as well. Can't find odds anywhere as would have had a punt last week and then would have lumped on yesterday!

Charlies got no chance learning Greek

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I bet Tony Bloom will be having a wry smile at this development. My thoughts:

1. Is Gus too toxic for the UK?
2. We got Oscar from Maccabi Tel Aviv - AEK Athens seems to be on a par with them so, on the face of it, he's now below the Albion in terms of managerial level.

Jan 30, 2008
ITK
regards
DR

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Apparently in advanced talks with AEK Athens, odd decision if you ask me with the midseason manager sackings imminent.

Has he lost his Marbles?

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
AEK are historically the 3rd biggest club in Greek football. They haven't won the league since 1994 and haven't qualified for the Champions League since 2005.

In 2013 they did a Rangers and were relegated to the bottom flight (3rd tier) of Greek football. They won back to back promotions and are now back in the Super League (1st tier).

As this is their first season back in the top flight I'd imagine expectations for Gus will be to stay up for this season but then it will quickly be back to aiming for European football and more.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here