Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Are you doing the Brighton marathon? If so, Looking forward to a 5k challenge next summer post marathon!

Yes I am, but want to keep up park run in the meantime as it's fun and also I think its good to do some speed training in preparation for the marathon.

seriously considering Downland Devil in a couple of weeks but need some trail shoes for this.

Good luck tomorrow - and have a great time in the Himalayas!

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
Hi Guys,
Newbie to this thread, and running in general! Have signed up to the 2015 Brighton Marathon and 'training' is going quite well. Figured as I'm knew to it I should take is slowly and am following a 6 month plan. Have done a few parkruns at Tilgate Crawley but now am away at uni and unfortunately the nearest one is Nottigham, which is a shame as they are great fun.
Looking forward to making the most out of this thread, looks like there are some great tips.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Ran the Brooks in 46:11, was pace setting for a friend for the first 7km and left myself too much to do to get under 45 mins. Still a PB, disappointed with how congested it was at the start. A lot of slower runners getting high up the starting order making it tough to get round which is a shame, or a genuine oversight on their behalf.

Good tun though, sets up the day nicely!

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Managed a 45:01; should've started my sprint finish sooner as I was aiming for sub 45.

Good race and good conditions.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Set a PB by over 2 minutes clocked in with a chip time of 43:38 so very pleased with this as this is almost bang on 7 minute mile pace. Agree with Ninja Elephant the start was very frustrating and probably held me up by 20 seconds minimum. The first two miles were my slowest, the first mile being 7:11 then miles 3-5 all around 6:55 with the final 1.2 miles averaging out about 6:40.

I also thought the organisation was poor as too many near misses with runners coming from both sides of the road, saw a lot of near misses. And finally the finish line seemed so far back from the pier that my expected sprint from there never materialised as too knackered probably picked up the pace for the last twenty seconds or so.

Well done for everyone who completed

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Just done the Brooks. My first ever race of any kind, at the age of 59 (started running in April this year), so I had no real expectations for how I'd do; I was quite pleased with a chip time of just over 50 minutes, even though it's nowhere near some of the hardcore results being posted on here.

Overall I really enjoyed it, although I agree with others that it did seem a bit of a shambles in parts, with a massive bottleneck at the start, and then not enough separation between runners going in both directions -- the marshalls screaming at people to move over just led to congestion and people getting in each others' way, as they tried to respond.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Just done the Brooks. My first ever race of any kind, at the age of 59 (started running in April this year), so I had no real expectations for how I'd do; I was quite pleased with a chip time of just over 50 minutes, even though it's nowhere near some of the hardcore results being posted on here.

Overall I really enjoyed it, although I agree with others that it did seem a bit of a shambles in parts, with a massive bottleneck at the start, and then not enough separation between runners going in both directions -- the marshalls screaming at people to move over just led to congestion and people getting in each others' way, as they tried to respond.

Thats a great time considering your experience level and the bottle neck. Have you any other races planned?

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Thats a great time considering your experience level and the bottle neck. Have you any other races planned?

Not sure -- I was encouraged to do it by a friend, and it was really a test to see whether I was really too old for this kind of thing. So far I've been training 2-3 times a week with half hour runs on the treadmill in the gym, and some local runs around the Brighton area, in a few of which I've done around 10k, but certainly not at the pace I managed in the race today. I was definitely beginning to feel it in the last couple of km, but for the most part it was a great feeling running with so many other people. Assuming no ill effects over the next few days (I am feeling a little sore in the muscles round the hips and upper thighs already), I might start looking at some other races -- any recommendations? I was certainly thinking of going along to some of the 5k park runs, which others on this thread have mentioned.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Not sure -- I was encouraged to do it by a friend, and it was really a test to see whether I was really too old for this kind of thing. So far I've been training 2-3 times a week with half hour runs on the treadmill in the gym, and some local runs around the Brighton area, in a few of which I've done around 10k, but certainly not at the pace I managed in the race today. I was definitely beginning to feel it in the last couple of km, but for the most part it was a great feeling running with so many other people. Assuming no ill effects over the next few days (I am feeling a little sore in the muscles round the hips and upper thighs already), I might start looking at some other races -- any recommendations? I was certainly thinking of going along to some of the 5k park runs, which others on this thread have mentioned.

You need to get to a parkrun, at least on a fairly regular basis. They are great as a speedwork test, and can be used as part of a longer run by running to and from.

Half Marathon next?

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Set a PB by over 2 minutes clocked in with a chip time of 43:38 so very pleased with this as this is almost bang on 7 minute mile pace. Agree with Ninja Elephant the start was very frustrating and probably held me up by 20 seconds minimum. The first two miles were my slowest, the first mile being 7:11 then miles 3-5 all around 6:55 with the final 1.2 miles averaging out about 6:40.

I also thought the organisation was poor as too many near misses with runners coming from both sides of the road, saw a lot of near misses. And finally the finish line seemed so far back from the pier that my expected sprint from there never materialised as too knackered probably picked up the pace for the last twenty seconds or so.

Well done for everyone who completed

Great time BigNuts brilliant that you beat your target. Well done everyone else too, I went out for a run along the sea front this morning and saw loads of people heading for the start, really made me wish I'd got round to entering!

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
1:09 for me today, which wasn't that good for me, but I enjoyed the race anyway.

Good to hear the legendary John Lees doing the PA at the start/finish. I'm sure I heard a "Get on with it"! from him at the start :)

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Any of you good folk have experience of a torn calf muscle?

Halfway through a local 10K race today when I felt and heard a pop and had to pull up.

Pretty sure it's torn but my main concern now is how long can I expect to be off the tarmac?

Very rarely do I get injuries however I'm now fretting about the loss of performance due to this inevitable inactivity.

Any tips for when out of action? The thought of my fitness levels in let's say 6 weeks without any running is pretty depressing.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sorry to hear that [MENTION=14284]poidy[/MENTION]

Out with one at the moment......first for a long time but had several in the past.

Depends on which muscle. If it's the gastrocnemius (the fleshier, higher one) should be back within say 3 weeks if a grade 1 tear. If it's the soleus (lower and deeper), this is slower to heal (I am on week 6). If you felt and heard a pop it's almost certainly the gastroc.

Take ibuprofen and ice it as often as you can for the next 48 hours to reduce the inflammation, then start gentle stretching (heel drops on the stairs, usual calf stretches against the wall etc - google them if not sure). Wear some form of compression (long socks if nothing else) in bed for a couple of nights too. You may also find some heel inserts in your shoes helpful for a few days to stop over-stretching it whilst it's still tender.

You should be able to use an elliptical trainer or cycle within a week at most (these don't activate the muscle much) and this will also speed up healing as it'll promote blood flow. If you can, it's worth seeing a physio, to a) get a certain diagnosis and b) speed up recovery (they will manipulate and use ultrasound probably).

Don't worry about losing fitness - especially if you can use a crosstrainer or bike. I had 4 months off running earlier this year with osteitis and when I started back up I was able to do 10 miles at a similar pace to when I stopped.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Ok, so I'll finally jump in at this point

Did the 10k today, first time I've done any kind of organised run whatsoever. I started between the 50-60 and 60> markers, as I was hoping to beat an hour, and was surprised how fast almost everyone around me was going to start with, way quicker than 60 minute pace. It meant I went off quicker than I'd liked, and ended up slowing down mile by mile, but just managed to just come in under the hour, so very happy with that.

I'm down for the Brighton Marathon next year, got a bit of work to get up to that distance.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Sorry to hear that [MENTION=14284]poidy[/MENTION]

Out with one at the moment......first for a long time but had several in the past.

Depends on which muscle. If it's the gastrocnemius (the fleshier, higher one) should be back within say 3 weeks if a grade 1 tear. If it's the soleus (lower and deeper), this is slower to heal (I am on week 6). If you felt and heard a pop it's almost certainly the gastroc.

Take ibuprofen and ice it as often as you can for the next 48 hours to reduce the inflammation, then start gentle stretching (heel drops on the stairs, usual calf stretches against the wall etc - google them if not sure). Wear some form of compression (long socks if nothing else) in bed for a couple of nights too. You may also find some heel inserts in your shoes helpful for a few days to stop over-stretching it whilst it's still tender.

You should be able to use an elliptical trainer or cycle within a week at most (these don't activate the muscle much) and this will also speed up healing as it'll promote blood flow. If you can, it's worth seeing a physio, to a) get a certain diagnosis and b) speed up recovery (they will manipulate and use ultrasound probably).

Don't worry about losing fitness - especially if you can use a crosstrainer or bike. I had 4 months off running earlier this year with osteitis and when I started back up I was able to do 10 miles at a similar pace to when I stopped.

This all sounds very promising

Yes it is the fleshier higher muscle. Not sure whether it would be categorised as grade one or grade two though. This will be the difference between how long I'm out for.

I guess a reduction in performance is individual specific and ultimately down to an element of natural fitness too.

My intention is to keep my fitness ticking over until I'm able to run again. Whilst it's not the same I think the cycling machine will be my friend for the next few weeks.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My last gastroc tear was a grade one (physio confirmed) when it happened I thought I had been shot, could barely walk for 48 hours and was in agony but soon started to recover. Sure it'll be no worse.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Yes I am, but want to keep up park run in the meantime as it's fun and also I think its good to do some speed training in preparation for the marathon.

seriously considering Downland Devil in a couple of weeks but need some trail shoes for this.

Good luck tomorrow - and have a great time in the Himalayas!

Glad I pulled out of any NSC challenge yesterday as bignuts would have killed me. I ran marathon pace for 3 miles at 8" miles and then 3 miles at 22 minute 5K time. To get 47:23. Happy except for 2 bloody youngsters in their late 30's taking me on the sprint in. Unlike others I enjoyed the tight grouping of runners as it meant there was plenty of squeezing into little gaps. No good for anyone attempting a pb and potentially dangerous.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
You need to get to a parkrun, at least on a fairly regular basis. They are great as a speedwork test, and can be used as part of a longer run by running to and from.

Half Marathon next?

Yes, I'll definitely sign up for the park run in Preston Park. Good to have that as a regular focus.
Not sure about half marathon yet. It still seems a big step up from where I am now at the 10k, but I'll start extending the distance on training runs in the next few weeks and see how it goes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here