Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT. Large bird of prey

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
North of Petworth just a couple miles up the road and Red Kites are numerous. Further South Buzzards are more common but there are a lot of both species evident when I go for my jog up the road.....you see them in the trees and being chased off by rooks and crows who seem to have no fear against its much larger cousin.

Obviously you aren't too far from me and I can confirm we do have Red Kites in this part of the world - saw one while driving out of Thakeham the other morning.

As already mentioned nowhere near the masses of them that are around High Wycombe on the M40 but nice to know they have made a comeback down here.

Sullington/Storrington has loads of loads of Buzzards, they seem to enjoy riding the thermals coming off the Downs as much as our local Gliding Club! :smile:

Saw a Barn Owl the other night, now they are magnificent!

D

Deleted member 2719

He he Mouldy when we used to go away you used to tell us you hated birds they were beaky feathery things. Steve P used to admire Pigs.....strange lad.:thumbsup:

Yeah, I still believe they are beaky feathery things mate, are you still twitching ??? Careful you will turn into Bill Oddie:mad:.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm not sure why folk are so excited by birds of prey. It may seem inspiring now, but wait till it turns to this . . . .

hitchthebirds.jpg

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A red footed booby was found in Hastings, which normally lives in the Caribbean. The RSPB had no idea how it got here because it never flies more than 300 miles radius. Unfortunately it died, whilst being treated, even though it started to put weight on.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Had one of these on my birdfeeders yesterday

Male-Sparrowhawk-2.jpg

Surprising as you wouldn't think they would be attracted by fatballs and peanuts ???

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
Weren't they Southern Caracara in the Falklands? The Crested Caracara habitat is Tropical. Central America and just pushing Texas and Florida. Otherwise the rarer Striated Caracara that looks Rook like.
https://birdsna.org/Species-Account...n;JSESSIONID=69D9C092F1CDF3C3CA0C7F2FF883C25E

been very close to these things and their talons look fricking evil. but didn't know there was a difference between crested and southern tbh. And the other ya mention the Striated is supposedly the rarest bird of prey in the world (think this is because they are only really found in the falklands). In the Falkland there are loads of striated Cara I actually had 1 eating a tracker bar out of my hand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here