Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's Happened To These Pubs?

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
The Adur is still there, new name, can't recall at mo.
Schooner still the same but the Pilot is now Emmaus, charity furniture outlet.
The Alex has been knocked down.
Pav Tav is still going.
The Wick is back after several renames.
Sadly the Free Butt closed a few years ago.
The Albion has changed little, maybe Geoff is even still there!
The Springfield is now called Open House, and has kept up with the times very well.

I was running a karaoke at The Albion last night.
Geoff sold it earlier this year and Hannah has continued to run it for the new owners but
I found out last night that it will close on January 1st for an extensive refit.
Think it's going to be a poncey youngsters bar with a DJ Stand in the corner.
There goes another one.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Geoff sold it earlier this year and Hannah has continued to run it for the new owners but
I found out last night that it will close on January 1st for an extensive refit.
There goes another one.

Is this The Albion on Church Rd, Hove?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I believe the Albion is where Charlie Oatway made an indiscreet remark in the hearing of a certain German member of the backroom staff that found its way back to the club during the post-Poogate Terror.

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
Is this The Albion on Church Rd, Hove?

Yes Herr Thumper
I don't feel I know you well enough to call you Tub, you are correct.

I believe the Albion is where Charlie Oatway made an indiscreet remark in the hearing of a certain German member of the backroom staff that found its way back to the club during the post-Poogate Terror.

Yes Not AN.
It is the place. Charlie was a regular before he went on his current world tour.
In fact I am thinking about putting it forward for a Blue Heritage Plaque for this very reason.

What do you think my chances are?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
There goes another one.

FFS. I used to live in Seafield Rd and preferred The Albion to any of the others round there. The Seafield has also retained its character, but then its character is as a home for retired criminals. The Sussex has always felt like a Berni Inn since I can remember and the Red Lion has long since been poncified. Poo.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
The Freebutt and Caroline are fantastic examples of community pubs/venues and are huge assets to the city. Can't they build some poxy flats elsewhere?

Hope the Caroline turns out to be a listed building or something, it's a real pub with friendly people, no pretentious tw*ts from London in there!
Unfortunately Brighton is too expensive for its own good

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
FFS. I used to live in Seafield Rd and preferred The Albion to any of the others round there. The Seafield has also retained its character, but then its character is as a home for retired criminals. The Sussex has always felt like a Berni Inn since I can remember and the Red Lion has long since been poncified. Poo.

What is wrong with the CLIFTONVILLE ? That should be your local

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

What about The Alibi? That closed 'temporarily' some time back. Any sign of it reopening?

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
It'll be flats. The plan was to also buy the garage opposite to limit any planning objections. Not sure if this happened but I very much doubt the Alibi will be a pub again.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here