Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Damn your in a pleasant mood name calling at such an early time, way to go.

I don't profess to know everything or that I am right, I just said I would sign it and I would. That does not make me stupid.

Your comment makes you narrow minded at best.

Good luck with the rest of the day, charm away.

How can you sign something you don't know anything about and what the conditions are ? Only STUPID people would do that so you are GUILTY as charged

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
contrived video, with a couple of obvious issues. are there no smoke detectors that can tell the difference between pulled alarm and real fire? on reporting a fire, is it really procedure to not block the line by default and "go have a look"? and why would the passengers not attempt to communicate, and exit rail side, an illogical action. not sure a guard would hlpe much if passangers the otherside of a fire are exiting, theres a number of procedural problems highlighted here.

There are a number of procedural problems in the video but it does give an idea of the potential for confusion and is typical of the kind of training videos we are shown as part of ongoing training.
It's the same training that informs guards that when dispatching a train they MUST step away from the train so they can see the whole train from a good angle. This is drummed into guards (although some do occasionally fail to do it). Obviously that training now counts for nothing if they want dispatch to be done by the driver looking at flat cameras along the side of the train.
And if either a pass comm or a smoke alarm goes off then the procedure without a Guard is to stop and investigate yourself.

Kellie

Aug 11, 2014
Do you not think that much of what Enrest does and says, is tongue in cheek? Just look at many of hs other posts over the years.

He could, actually, be very intelligent. Not that I know that for a fact of course.

He's blo*dy rubbish in the sack, I know THAT for a fact.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
The national rail website has more than that showing but I guess that's not to be trusted today?

This was confirmed by Southern on twitter in response to someones question? I don't know what to trust anymore.

Stroke of luck someone from work is going into Brighton to see a friend at 7.30 so he's gonna drop me on the hard shoulder by the uni slip road. I've just gotta get a train back to Brighton after or a bus. He's picking me up from the station.

I owe this man a beer!

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
The national rail website has more than that showing but I guess that's not to be trusted today?

Don't trust the national rail website I made that mistake at a game earlier this season.

Is there a Sainsburys West Hove P&R tonight ?

It's clear that unions are a deplorable overhang was yesteryear and it's only proper that business functions at it's most efficient.

Trains don't need someone to shut the door. They don't really need someone to drive the train. Just as planes don't need a navigator and till operatives at Tesco, Mc Donalds and others are becoming a thing of the past.

There are always new industries and opposites. My advice to the so called guards (what a title - they are hardly defending something) would be to tuck your shirt in, wash your hands, have a shave, use a shower, deodorize, learn the Queens English and join the real world.

The only reason I landed on this page was to look for information about trains for tonight? Am I right in thinking, with planning and patience I should get to the Amex from Shoreham, but might only get back to Brighton Station?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
How do you know they won't be trained to the correct degree?

What's the link between dispatch and onboard safety? Are you seriously suggesting that individuals will not be able to undertake safety responsibilities just because they no longer control the dispatch of the train?

When DOO was first bought in, was the union unaware of the change?

I'm fully supportive of two members of staff on a train, and I see the value in having fully trained staff that can deal with both safety and customer service. The more operators can get staff onto the trains, helping passengers, the better. I don't see why the second member of staff on the train has to control the dispatch of the train - other than to protect the influence that RMT has over the operator (however, if Southern were to guarantee that second member of staff on every train, then the RMT influence would be maintained.)

All very nice until they push the fares up!

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
It's clear that unions are a deplorable overhang was yesteryear and it's only proper that business functions at it's most efficient.

Trains don't need someone to shut the door. They don't really need someone to drive the train. Just as planes don't need a navigator and till operatives at Tesco, Mc Donalds and others are becoming a thing of the past.

There are always new industries and opposites. My advice to the so called guards (what a title - they are hardly defending something) would be to tuck your shirt in, wash your hands, have a shave, use a shower, deodorize, learn the Queens English and join the real world.

The only reason I landed on this page was to look for information about trains for tonight? Am I right in thinking, with planning and patience I should get to the Amex from Shoreham, but might only get back to Brighton Station?

Did you think that out for yourself ?

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008

What an obnoxious prat you are.
So employees should have no protection and have no right to try to protect the LONG TERM future of their jobs.
OK, we'll mechanise everything then no doubt in the future you'll be moaning about all the layabouts who have no employment.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
How can you sign something you don't know anything about and what the conditions are ? Only STUPID people would do that so you are GUILTY as charged

If you read properly what I said, I said I don't profess to know " everything" as in I am not a know it all or that I am "right"

From what I do know I personally would sign the contract and accept that eventually change will come and the 2k would come in handy and I reiterate that I acknowledge that it does not make me right.

So your name calling is bully boy tactics that seem prevalent to the unions and southern rail for that matter and people who can not understand people are allowed to have different opinions.

I actually just came off facebook recently because its full of self righteous look at me pricks, and thinking about it could do with a self imposed ban from this site for the same reasons. so here goes you sir are a Feckin C0ck of the highest order and can go and feck yourself.

Last edited:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Soutern Railway operating at £100 million profit, plus they had a £20 milllion hand out this year so they can afford a few hundred more members of staff.

I thought Southern specifically made a loss last time out, but the overall group made a profit?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Soutern Railway operating at £100 million profit,

incorrect, they lost money. the parent company made a profit from other franchises/business. fares will go up regardless, by a government determined formula. or they could go up less and tax payer subsidies increase, more than the 20 million hand out.

not directed at you, we seem quite confused by ownership of the rail in this country. the network is nationalised, the train operators run time limited franchises and are massively subsidised (unless making a profit, where they return money to the treasury). in the case of GTR we are told executive managment from the DfT. so its near as nationalised as you can be without actually taking back everything. the cost of investment would be transfered back to the tax payer, so more tax or more borrowing. which would mean some 3-5% cost (realisitically long term). which is more than the profit margin the private companies work on, so do we want to pay private companies to run the rail and try to improve service, or pay investors more so the DfT can run service?

Last edited:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I'd be interested to see if the union members were balloted on the current offer how they would vote. It's all very well the union execs saying "we're" not going to be bribed when it's not them who would benefit. I find it very hard to believe that opinion is shared by the majority of their members. Without the £2k "bribe" it still seems a very good deal to me.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'd be interested to see if the union members were balloted on the current offer how they would vote. It's all very well the union execs saying "we're" not going to be bribed when it's not them who would benefit. I find it very hard to believe that opinion is shared by the majority of their members. Without the £2k "bribe" it still seems a very good deal to me.

i thought this was grounds for legal challenge, the union havent consulted with the members on the current offer.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here