Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
I doubt we could offer him first team football either. CH is not known for throwing youngsters in for more than a game or two before reverting to experienced players.

On this player - who knows but ...James Wilson - 19 when he played for the Albion and 25 appearances under Hughton, Fikayo Tomori just turned 19, 9 appearances under Hughton, and Solly March only 20 when he first started appearing regularly under Hughton would disagree.
If they are young enough and good enough - he'll play em or sign em. No sign he prefers a 38 year old to a 19 year old.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
On this player - who knows but ...James Wilson - 19 when he played for the Albion and 25 appearances under Hughton, Fikayo Tomori just turned 19, 9 appearances under Hughton, and Solly March only 20 when he first started appearing regularly under Hughton would disagree.
If they are young enough and good enough - he'll play em or sign em. No sign he prefers a 38 year old to a 19 year old.

How many appearances have these youngsters made between them in the last three seasons ? That assumes that you still class Solly as a youngster, discount him and you are talking just a handful. I didn’t say he didn’t play them, just that he seldom gave them a run. I rest my case :smile:

James Wilson was supposed to be a wonderkid too and I am shocked he got that many performances tbh, I think we may have been very light on strikers that season. Wilson really wasn’t all that and if he was so ill (which his fans suggested was the reason for his lacklustre performances) why did he get so many games? Most of which he looked lightweight and disinterested.

How many of those 25 games were more than subsitute appearances btw?

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
How many appearances have these youngsters made between them in the last three seasons ? That assumes that you still class Solly as a youngster, discount him and you are talking just a handful. I didn’t say he didn’t play them, just that he seldom gave them a run. I rest my case :smile:

You said he "throws youngsters in for a game or two". I assume that meant only allow them to play 1-2 games. Forgive me if that wasn't what you meant. I gave examples of 3 youngsters under Hughton who have played a total of 50+ games under Hughton in the last 3 years when they were 19 or 20 (including Solly when Hughton first arrived) so clearly not just 1-2 games.
He'll sign and play young players if he thinks they are good enough this summer. See 20 year Izzy Brown last summer.

Granted its rare, and granted the squad 25 doesn't currently have anyone under 23. but thats not what you argued.

And whether James Wilson was this or that , is by the by. He was 19 and Hughton signed him and played him. So he hasn't got a blind spot with teenagers.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You said he "throws youngsters in for a game or two". I assume that meant only allow them to play 1-2 games. Forgive me if that wasn't what you meant. I gave examples of 3 youngsters under Hughton who have played a total of 50+ games under Hughton in the last 3 years when they were 19 or 20 (including Solly when Hughton first arrived) so clearly not just 1-2 games.
He'll sign and play young players if he thinks they are good enough this summer. See 20 year Izzy Brown last summer.

Granted its rare, and granted the squad 25 doesn't currently have anyone under 23. but thats not what you argued.

And whether James Wilson was this or that , is by the by. He was 19 and Hughton signed him and played him. So he hasn't got a blind spot with teenagers.

It was in no way meant as a criticism of CH, just that we have not been a position to give youngsters a long run. I understand it which is why I don’t expect us to sign the Spurs youngster that made me post the original comments.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
It was in no way meant as a criticism of CH, just that we have not been a position to give youngsters a long run.

Yes. Agreed. Last season we were lucky with injuries except for 20 year Izzy Brown who might have earnt a place in the team. The closest u23 player was teenager Jayson Molumby who earnt 3 places on the bench pre Propper being signed. He himself was then injured.
But I won't be surprised if 1-2 younger players / signings/loan are established in the 25 next season. No idea about this Spurs bloke mind.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Yes. Agreed. Last season we were lucky with injuries except for 20 year Izzy Brown who might have earnt a place in the team. The closest u23 player was teenager Jayson Molumby who earnt 3 places on the bench pre Propper being signed. He himself was then injured.
But I won't be surprised if 1-2 younger players / signings/loan are established in the 25 next season. No idea about this Spurs bloke mind.

I thought that the point was that U23s didn't have to be named in the 25, but could still play. Isn't that the case?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
I thought that the point was that U23s didn't have to be named in the 25, but could still play. Isn't that the case?

yes. i think i meant established in the 18 or fringes of it. rather than the formal 25.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Sort of.

The Dev Squad is U23.

U21s don't need to be named in the 25, but players who are over 21, but under 23 do need to be nominated.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Window - Where we are - Thursday June 7th -

*new* David Button (Fulham) - 29 year old Goalkeeper, HGP - Championship veteran for Brentford and Fulham but lost his place to Marcus Bettinelli a year ago. The Sun are reporting that Hughton is "hoping to a agree a £4m fee this week" . Might be related to fanciful talk yesterday as well that Barca and others have Tim Krul in their sights. But its clear that the strategy is still to have (new? ) competition for Ryan with Walton going out on loan again (to Wigan ?) .
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/6466988/brighton-david-button-fulham-chris-hughton/
https://www.shieldsgazette.com/spor...or-former-newcastle-stopper-reports-1-9195494

Liam Moore (Reading) - 25 year old, Centre Back, HGP, 17/18 Reading player of the year - As the Goldson move looks closer - Much gnashing on here about supposed small fee, £3m in some reports, but Argus and others arguing its value etc still being discussed and likely to be higher. - then formal bids for a replacement might then begin.
Is it £15m rated (ie: Reading rated) Moore ?

Paddy McNair (Sunderland) - 23 year old NI international, ex Man Utd Midfield, Defender, HGP -The chase goes on.And on. And other clubs are interested. Boro (and others) have apparently thrown their hat in the ring
https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport...rough-transfer-rumours-boro-watching-14749293

*new* Ezri Konsa (Charlton)- 20 year old, Eng u20 international, Centre Back, HGP - Trail on this has gone quiet although , again, obviously linked to Goldson exit.

What else ?
Pascal Gross has a big payrise ! Will any other players being getting their annual contract extension (eg: Lewis Dunk...)
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/alb...rder_than_ever_after_signing_new_Albion_deal/
Thomas Delaney long running signing for BVB saga really does look like its OVER. but i've said that before.

Incoming So far:
Leon Balogun (May 22) - German/Nigerian defender - free -
Florin Andone (May 25) - Romanian Striker - reported to be £5m

u23s
Joseph Tomlinson (May 25) - Ex Yeovil , 17 year old defender.

ZERO CHANCE OF SINGING ANYONE TODAY: Maybe

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
As mentioned on the Krul thread, Ben Roberts would know Button from Charlton.

Looks a good rumour.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I have it on good authority that our transfer business for the summer is not yet done.
Haha, thanks for the insight. I also confirm that night follows day (or does day follow night?).

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I have it on good authority that our transfer business for the summer is not yet done.

If this Paddy guy is our main midfield target i will be disappointed.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here