Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Aliens and the beginning of time

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Of course aliens exist. You think about how many worlds out there that could support life then it's logical to assume they exist. I also believe we have been visited by aliens over the centuries however as to why there is still no definitive answer then I don't know.

I agree entirely - Selhurst Park SE25 is where they live.
You have not been charged for this information

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
There may even be aliens amongst us. :eek:

s_37_824__dowiesoton.jpg

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018
There was no beginning because if there was nothing beforehand then nothing is something.If one atom started everything then what created that atom and what created the thing that created that atom.There has always been something from trillions and trillions of years ago but that's not possible because existence cannot always have been but how can exsistence possibly start if there was nothing to kick things off.

I think I've made myself clear.

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018
Stephen Hawkings was not convinced we should be trying to contact life on other planets.
His theory is that we shouldn't take it for granted they will be friendly so maybe we shouldn't
make them aware of our existence.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
Stephen Hawkings was not convinced we should be trying to contact life on other planets.
His theory is that we shouldn't take it for granted they will be friendly so maybe we shouldn't

He's right.

There have to be aliens out there. It would be far stranger if there weren't.

People say it's too far for any potential civilisations to travel to each other, but we only started messing around with aeroplanes a hundred or so years ago, and now we can send stuff to the outer reaches of the solar system. Fast forward our technology another thousand years (in the highly unlikely event that we don't wipe ourselves out by then) and who knows what we could do. If a civilisation somewhere else has been around a few thousand years longer than us, it's logical to assume they have some pretty mad technology.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Hawking was working on something about travelling within beams of light to distant parts on the universe

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I find the concept of life out there mind blowing. It would be very unlikely that we are the only planet with a similar atmosphere/life - there are probably planets with as much life as we have here, weird and wonderful creatures, plants, etc. I hope I'm alive long enough for evidence of this sort of thing to be discovered!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I find the idea that we could be the most intelligent beings in existence to be so depressing. As if we're literally the best thing the universe could have coughed up.

Luckily dolphins exist so that makes it slightly more bearable.

Yep.

We know we're in real trouble if they thank us for all the fish.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly

Someone should tell the Palace Untras this.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I just done a quick re-run of the Drake "equation", https://www.space.com/25219-drake-equation.html following the recent flurry of discovery of exoplanets in nearby solar systems and come out with 125,000 intelligent civilisations in our galaxy. The current best estimate is that there are 100 Billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Personally, I think the odds of us being alone are vanishingly low. Whether any of those civilisations will develop the technology to either transmit radio waves or to travel physically at faster than light speed is another matter entirely. On current knowledge, one would have to say that neither is physically possible - but then until very recently we humans believed the sun went round the Earth, so hope springs eternal.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The real important question is when do we invent Warp Drive (if your a trekkie) or if your a star wars fan then the Hyper Drive!!! it would make getting to away games so much bloody quicker instead of interminable train, coach or car journeys! :laugh:

Surely, if you want improved travel times to the Amex you'd want to invent transporter technology like in Star Trek. You could transport direct from your home or the pub to the Amex. They've already installed the arrival pad (disguised as a massive club crest) outside the club shop.

As [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] has mentioned, the chances of us being alone in the colossally vast Universe are ridiculously small - it's the distances and the age of the Universe that makes contact unlikely.

What I hope to see in my lifetime is proof of at least microbial life elsewhere in the Solar System. Once we can show that life will independently emerge, given the right conditions, we can then be certain that the Universe is teeming with life, admittedly mostly basic, but some that has reached the level of a technological civilisation. What's a little depressing is the thought that we may never be able to meet any of them.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Hawking was working on something about travelling within beams of light to distant parts on the universe

Ah, so that's where he's gone.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Brian Cox reckons there could be a lot of life out there in terms of slime, very simple organisms, but thinks intelligent space travelling creatures could be incredibly rare.

This planet is supposed is supposed to be 4 billion years old, but its only in the last 500,000 years when multi celled organisms evolved. He also went into detail how this was an incredible fluke which might not have occurred any where else yet.

I think you mean 500 million years. Makes a bit of a difference.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Surely, if you want improved travel times to the Amex you'd want to invent transporter technology like in Star Trek. You could transport direct from your home or the pub to the Amex. They've already installed the arrival pad (disguised as a massive club crest) outside the club shop.

As [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION] has mentioned, the chances of us being alone in the colossally vast Universe are ridiculously small - it's the distances and the age of the Universe that makes contact unlikely.

What I hope to see in my lifetime is proof of at least microbial life elsewhere in the Solar System. Once we can show that life will independently emerge, given the right conditions, we can then be certain that the Universe is teeming with life, admittedly mostly basic, but some that has reached the level of a technological civilisation. What's a little depressing is the thought that we may never be able to meet any of them.

If we already have this transporter technology why haven't we used it for something useful? Like breaking the offside trap or arriving late for a set peice?

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Let’s put things in perspective here.

1 light year is approx. 6,000,000,000,000 miles.
The NEAREST other star (Proxima Centauri) to us is 4.24 light years away.
The 9th is Ross 248 (10.322) light years.

So, I think your comment of a ‘mere’ 10 million miles is a little bit out (sounds like Labours budget plans :lol: ).

I think there will be life out in the universe.
I think there will be intelligent life out there - but whether they have the ability to travel those distances and to be able to survive is another question.

One thing is sure, they will need to have learnt how to warp space/time to exceed the speed of light.

The speed of light is like a horse and cart compared to this -

In Dr. Gisin's experiment, as in earlier ones, no signal of any kind was transmitted between the photons, but despite this, one of the photons ''knew'' what happened to its distant twin, and mimicked the twin's response. This response took less than one ten-thousandth of the time a light beam would have needed to carry the news from one photon to the other at a speed of 186,282 miles per second. (In fact, the correlation between the two particles was presumably instantaneous. The Swiss experiment merely set an upper limit on the time required for the response as about three ten-billionths of a second.)

They reckon the reaction is almost instantaneous, regardless of distance.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here